Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Final Drive Failure / Triumph Warranty  (Read 9688 times)

Offline ibpete

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Chula Vista
Final Drive Failure / Triumph Warranty
« on: October 08, 2013, 05:47:08 AM »
I posted earlier about a pool of oil under the final drive. I took the bike in for the 10K mile service last week and the dealer called and said they were having to repair the FD. I didn't find out what the issue was at that time. I will find out when I pick the bike up.

That is the second issue. I had been forewarned that Triumph wouldn't let the dealers do warranty work without prior approval. When I asked how long that would take I was told 3 or 4 days!

I don't have any riding planned but if I did this would be totally unacceptable.

Plus, I am now concerned about being on a timed rally and needing warranty work. It sure would suck to be sitting in some remote location waiting for Triumph to approve a repair, watching my clock run out on a rally.

Anybody got any experience with this process?

TIA
Mike Langford [aka IB Pete] IBA#341
I really hate it when I commit to running a yellow light and the guy in front of me chickens out.

Offline RedMerle

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy & Tiger 1
  • City / Town: St Cleer, Cornwall
Re: Final Drive Failure / Triumph Warranty
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 08:26:58 PM »
Hmmm.. I might keep quiet about being on "timed rallies" if you're hoping to claim on a warranty!  :164:

Offline ibpete

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Chula Vista
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 09:56:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by RedMerle [+]
Hmmm.. I might keep quiet about being on "timed rallies" if you're hoping to claim on a warranty!

What is this supposed to mean?

I just checked in with the dealer and a seal is bad. Triumph doesn't have parts to repair the FD. They are going to replace the entire assembly! Of course, that takes more diligence on the part of the dealer which seems stupid since it's Triumph that doesn't have repair parts. <sigh>
Mike Langford [aka IB Pete] IBA#341
I really hate it when I commit to running a yellow light and the guy in front of me chickens out.

Offline Paulvt1

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda VFR 1200
  • City / Town: Wolverhampton
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 01:29:47 AM »
Frankly - i'd rather have a new unit than a repair. One thing i've been impressed with is how cool the FD runs compared to other bikes i've had. Just stupid that they ran with a single side design rather than the twin side (Yamaha). They never seem to fail.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 09:32:49 AM »
I might keep quiet about being on "timed rallies" if you're hoping to claim on a warranty!
What is this supposed to mean?
IN THE U.K.  :

Page 3 of the Motorcycle Service Handbook is titled "Triumph Warranty Terms & Conditions"

"CONDITIONS AND EXCLUSIONS :

1. The machine must not have been used for competition, *misused, inadequately maintained, or incorrectly serviced or maintained.

*Misuse includes any use not in accordance with the recommendations made in the 'how to ride the motorcycle'
section of the owners handbook and any use contrary to the warnings given in that same handbook. 
In addition, misuse will include, but not be limited too <sp !> any use of the motorcycle which does not constitute normal road use."

If the U.S. version of the warranty is the same as the U.K. then your "Timed rally" might be deemed as "competition",
or use which "does not constitute normal road use", and could invailidate your warranty !  :005:

Offline enGage

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Grand Rapids
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 12:54:10 PM »
FWIW, I have never had any issues with warranty repair.  My dealer diagnosis' the issue quickly, typically has the parts in stock, and does warranty repair quickly.  I'll ask, but I don't even think they contact Triumph unless they aren't certain of the course of action.

I think warranty repair has more to do with the specific dealer, and what they stock, then Triumph. 

Offline Trophy 59

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT SE, XV750 Bobber
  • City / Town: Perth
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 01:04:51 PM »
Far riders and iron butts are about time in the saddle, not speed. Would have no effect on a warranty. No different to any club run, just further as far as I can tell.
Don't grow up, it's a trap...

Offline enGage

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Grand Rapids
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 01:20:44 PM »
exactly and its not like Triumph has people working for the NSA (the ones that just read this post) that know everything we do :745:

tweedy-bunch