Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: TPMS  (Read 4904 times)

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
TPMS
« on: October 08, 2013, 02:18:37 pm »
How accurate is the TMPS supposed to be?  When the tires are inflated to the correct cold pressure the TMPS says they are 4-5 lbs higher.  I check with three different gauges and all read within a pound of each other.

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
Re: TPMS
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 04:41:28 pm »
I foudn the same perhasp only a couple of pounds higher.  It also seemed a bit strange that after inflating the tyres a bit the TPMS system took a few miles before it read the right pressure?  Nothing beats checking with a proper guage and I use the TPMS to watch for changes rather than actual.

Offline Tigercat

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 Trophy, '70 BSA
  • City / Town: Ames Lake, WA
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 05:36:56 pm »
Found the same results, even bought a third quality gage to make sure, 36 psi cold on the front is 41 indicated TPMS. Rear reads high the same.  False security to rely on TPMS readings me thinks.  :017:

Offline enGage

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Grand Rapids
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 06:15:05 pm »
Mine are dead-on when cold.  I inflated the tires to the factory spec 36/42 and that's the reading I got pulling out of my driveway.  Keep in mind that the tires will heat up fast so that initial reading doesn't last long.

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 07:50:21 pm »
It takes about 50 yards or so before the TPMS shows any numbers and then its usually 40/45 or so when the tires are inflated to specs.

Offline venomyellow

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 15 Rocket 14 K1600
  • City / Town: Stratford Upon Avon
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 08:04:04 pm »
*Originally Posted by enGage [+]
Mine are dead-on when cold.  I inflated the tires to the factory spec 36/42 and that's the reading I got pulling out of my driveway.  Keep in mind that the tires will heat up fast so that initial reading doesn't last long.

Same for me - TPMS matches my digital gauge exactly

Offline chrisb1

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 08:22:56 pm »
mine are bob on....i can even tell when i have been a little spirited, am 2 up, or its hot by the increase in pressure (and suspect i am not far from seeing a decrease as it gets frosty).  I am sure you could calculate this but the additional force downwards adding people or luggage will increase the tyre pressure as well - equal and opposite forces & all that...not done the calcs but suspect nobody is checking their pressure when sitting on the bike - well apart from with the tpms!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 10:53:42 pm by chrisb1 »

Offline patches

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: PNW
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 10:25:38 pm »
*Originally Posted by enGage [+]

Mine is also dead on cold.  Always goes up when riding of course.  I assume 'cause there is no temperature compensation in the circuit.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 01:45:01 am by patches »