Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Seat Pads - Gel / Air / Beaded ?  (Read 3270 times)

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Seat Pads - Gel / Air / Beaded ?
« on: October 09, 2013, 10:48:40 am »
I have been experimenting with a few different seat pads, in an effort to relieve "Numb Bum" syndrome !

I have attached an article, which is a review by a BMW rider ( sorry ),
discussing the pro's and con's of Gel and Air type seat pads -
it seems that individuals are usually suited better to one type or the other !
( Have you got a "Gel Bum" or an "Air Bum ? !  :164: )

I tried the Deluxe Gel Seat Pad (£53.99 + Postage) from Dan Medica South Ltd but didn't get on with it,
although it was slightly more comfortable than the stock seat.

When cornering, braking or accellerating "with feeling", I moved around a bit on the seat pad
due to the "give" of the Gel, and found this disconcerting. 

The pad comprises 18mm thick Gel in a protective, durable cover,
but I was still (just) able to Flat foot on level ground.  I stopped using it after 2 rides.

I had a look at their Air Seat Pad (£64.99 + Postage), but have not tried one as I think the same may happen.

There is an increase in seat height of between 1.5 & 2 cm, and also a weight limit of 120Kg,
which, let's just say, is a factor to consider !

So I am now trying their Beaded Seat Cover Set (£24.99 + Postage) - which comes as a Rider and Pillion set.
The pad attaches to the seat with elasticated loops, which can be stretched over the various parts of the seat framework to hold it securley. 
With the help of a couple of simple cable ties, the elastic can be kept away from where the seat mounts onto the bike.
So far the results are good, no numb bum after an hour, but I haven't tried them on a long ride yet.
Because the beads push down onto the seat, there is no movement when cornering etc, as with the Gel seat.
In hot conditions there should be a little extra circulation "under there" as air can flow between the beads,
and this may also help when returning to the bike after rain, when the seat is wet,
as it will lift ones bum off the seat slightly.
I just hope it doesn't get too draughty in the Winter months - although the Heated seat should sort that out !

[smg id=356]
[smg id=357]
[smg id=358]
[smg id=359]

As with any Review I write, I have no affilliation to the company involved, other than being one of their satisfied customers  :169:

« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 10:52:19 am by Coconut »

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
Re: Seat Pads - Gel / Air / Beaded ?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 11:39:23 am »
I must be really lucky as I do not get numb bum (perhaps my extra padding helps  :001:)

I do wonder whether the beads will prevent the heat from the heated seat getting to your bum?
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 01:08:19 pm »
I have an air hawk (but not needed on the TT).  The trick is to not put too much air in or you do move around.  I have a gel seat pad (again not for TT) and this did move around and actually got misshaped in the heat of France and has never regained its shape and is useless now.

I do use some 'Alaska sheepskin' covers for both me and the pillion which do seem to make a difference.  Even if some of it is to keep the heat off the seat.

As Berber says no numb bum for me also on the TT.  In fact on last trip to France even the pillion did not complain (too much) about numb bum.  She had hurt her back though just before leaving and I ended up using the air hawk as a back rest.  It was great to be able to 'adjust' the air to make it the right shape/padding.  She was only uncomfortable getting on and off not when sitting on the TT!

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 04:13:44 pm »
I tried the sheep skin method on my trip to Spain  :005: On the second day it got launched into a field somewhere in the mountains. It was far worse than without  :005: :005: I must admit I could spend more time in one hit on the Harley than on the Trophy but I think this due to the fact that it had foot boards and  hi way pegs so was able to move my feet a around this changing the pressure points on your arse. The beads looks interesting but I wonder if it will cause permanent damage to the seat foam and covering  :087: Time will tell keep us posted Dude  :028: :028:

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 08:35:04 pm »
Good to see you back chaos

Offline Chaos