Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Ecu no communication  (Read 2125 times)

• Offline driftforeva   wales

• Trophy Junior  ‐    3
    • Topic Author

Offline driftforeva

• Trophy Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trophy se
    • City / Town: Bala
    Ecu no communication
    on: Jun 28, 2023, 12.23 am
    Jun 28, 2023, 12.23 am
    Hi all. My trophy is currently at triumph having the ignition recall however having had a new ignition barrel and key fitted the bike won’t start. It appears that they’re diagnostic and also 4 I’ve tried won’t communicate with the bike. Triumph have apparently tested the fuses along with the fuse box itself also tested the obd which is getting power it simply won’t communicate. They are saying there could be a broken wire somewhere in the wiring loom. Has any experienced this issue? Also would anyone happen to have a detailed wiring diagram? My bike is a 2015 15 plate se model. I’m due to leave for France on the 1st of July ferry etc is all booked and payed for. Triumph are trying to charge me for then to look at the work ie strip the bike down and find the “broken wire” it still starts with the original ignition plugged in but triumph say it’s unsafe to ride has the ignition won’t be attached to the top yolk. In a way they’re refusing to release the bike. Any help especially a wiring diagram would be appreciated.

• Online trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    5652

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Re: Ecu no communication
    Reply #1 on: Jun 28, 2023, 01.35 am
    Jun 28, 2023, 01.35 am
    It sounds like the new key hasn't been programmed into the bike if the old switch will start it.  Is this at a Triumph dealer or an independent?  If it's at an independent dealer they will most likely lack the diagnostic equipment to program the transponder of the new key into the bike.  I'm sure coconut or digital will be along with more detailed and accurate information than I can provide.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    3157

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Reply #2 on: Jun 28, 2023, 06.45 am
    Jun 28, 2023, 06.45 am
    Some more information is needed. Example, if the alarm light illuminates. Red light on the upper right of the instrument panel.

The second step is to find out if the 12 volt voltage reaches the ignition key and if the ignition key output reaches the other end of the connector that is connected to the immobilizer.

12 volts must arrive at the immobilizer input through two cables, I'm not at home and I don't remember what colors of cables they are.

In the event that the new key is well coded, you can make some jumpers with a 12 volt voltage at the immobilizer input. To perform this test you must have knowledge of what is being done.
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

• Online Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10628

Online Coconut

• Trophy God
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #3 on: Jun 28, 2023, 07.09 am
    Jun 28, 2023, 07.09 am
    If the bike is at an official Triumph dealer then they will have access
    to the Diagnostics equipment needed, and also wiring diagrams.

The Service manual contains wiring diagrams, of sorts, but does not go into full details
    such as the inner workings of components such as the ECU or Immobiliser ECU.

I don't fully understand some of your comments, so can you provide a further explanation of :

"It appears that they’re diagnostic and also 4 I’ve tried won’t communicate with the bike."
    Does that mean that the Triumph Dealer's diagnostic equipment won't communicate with your bike ?
    What are the 4 you've tried that won't communicate ? - Keys ?

Ensure the handlebar STOP / RUN switch s set to RUN when connecting Diagnostic equipment !  :138:

The Ignition key contains an encapsulated microchip transponder which has an individual code.
    Keys must be programmed in to the Immobiliser ECU, which is actually part of the TPMS ECU,
    to allow the presence of that key to switch the Immobiliser off and allow the engine to be started.
    A maximum of 4 keys ( transponder chips ) can be programmed in to the ECU,
    and only the official Triumph Diagnostic equipment can perform this task.
    After market equipment such as DealerTool does not have this function.

IF it is the case that the Dealer cannot get their Diagnostic equipment to connect to your bike,
    have they checked "manually" to see what, if any, DTC's ( fault codes ) are stored which may
    provide an indication as to why ?

To manually display DTC's on the Instrument panel :

Press and hold in the Select button ( marked "i" and the Scroll UP buttons together,
    and turn the Ignition Switch to the ON position, while keeping those 2 buttons pressed in.
    Keep them pressed in until the Speedo and Tacho needles have completed their sweep,
    after which the DIAGNOSTICS screen should be displayed on the Instrument panel
    listing any stored DTC's.  If there are more than one - use the scroll buttons to view them.

Make a note of any DTC's that come up ( taking a Photo is a good idea ) before switching the Ignition OFF.

I have also sent you a Private Message with more information - Hope this helps.  :028:

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Jun 28, 2023, 07.27 am by Coconut

• Offline driftforeva   wales

• Trophy Junior  ‐    3
    • Topic Author

Offline driftforeva

• Trophy Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trophy se
    • City / Town: Bala
    Reply #4 on: Jun 28, 2023, 12.45 pm
    Jun 28, 2023, 12.45 pm
    Hi thanks all for replying. The bike is at triumph Chester. They’ve replaced the Ignition barrel with key due to a recall for the common wiring issue due to the location of the brake pipe. I can’t speculate if the alarm/immobiliser light is on has I’ve not seen the bike since riding it to triumph. It’s the triumph dealer that rang me and said they’ve changed the ignition tried to program the key but the diagnostic port (obd) won’t communicate with the diagnostic hence they believe there’s a damaged/broken wire somewhere in the wiring loom. So basically to some it up. I rode my trophy to them they’ve changed the ignition barrel/key bike now won’t start due to the obd/diagnostic port not working ie not communicating with a diagnostic machine (triumph diagnostic) but will start if they plug back in my old ignition barrel. Hopefully that helps explain the situation better?

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    3157

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Reply #5 on: Jun 28, 2023, 02.02 pm
    Jun 28, 2023, 02.02 pm
    If in the translation of the language, I understand well what counts...

It is almost certain that the problem is that the immobilizer does not recognize the key and therefore does not allow the engine to start.

On the other hand, so that you can enter into communication between the Triumph tool and the OBD connector. There must be bus voltage and it is the only way to enter, if I had any cable from these two buses, I would have more problems, such as the instrument panel and sound equipment.

You would also lose communication with other parts of the bike that use the two wires of the bus system.

So either you don't have the Triumph tool or your computer lacks the necessary drivers for the Triumph Software.
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

• Offline T800XC   england

• Trophy Pro  ‐    127

Offline T800XC

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Tiger 900 Rally Pro
    • City / Town: English Riviera
    Reply #6 on: Jun 28, 2023, 02.21 pm
    Jun 28, 2023, 02.21 pm
    *Originally Posted by driftforeva [+]
    ...It’s the triumph dealer that rang me and said they’ve changed the ignition tried to program the key but the diagnostic port (obd) won’t communicate with the diagnostic hence they believe there’s a damaged/broken wire somewhere in the wiring loom...
    While working on TigerTool I've heard from several Triumph owners who have had problems communicating with the bike where the problem turned out to be a loose pin in the bike's OBD2 connector. After checking and re-seating the pin until it latched correctly the problems were fixed. Sometimes the simplest things are overlooked.

Unfortunately dealers can only plug in their diagnostic kit and expect (hope) it works. They don't have the tools, wherewithal or time to understand how the comms works and therefore ability to try different things. e.g.Triumph use CAN (ISO15765-4) and ISO9141-2 comms to the bike but the dealer won't know that or be able to tell the difference. However, knowing this could help diagnose the source of the problem.
    ...we are reviewing telemetric information in our mission simulator and will advise...

• Online Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10628

Online Coconut

• Trophy God
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #7 on: Jun 28, 2023, 05.35 pm
    Jun 28, 2023, 05.35 pm
    That is excellent advice from T800XC -
    A loose pin in the OBD Connector could certainly cause the problem being experienced.

Unfortunately, such a fault could not be attributed as anything at all to do with the Ignition Wiring recall,
    so it will be a matter for you to investigate / have investigated, and repaired at your cost  :003:

Cheers  :821:

tweedy-bunch