Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] earth ground harness  (Read 4818 times)

• Offline gonzo68   us

• Trophy Member  ‐    36
    • Topic Author

Offline gonzo68

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 trophy se
    • City / Town: Lincoln
    earth ground harness
    on: Aug 19, 2023, 02.39 pm
    Aug 19, 2023, 02.39 pm
    hi again, I bought a new earth ground harness because of headlight flicker at idle. A lot of members said their ttse did it from new and  some said a new one fixed that problem. Mine doesn"t look that bad but I can tell the wires that show up by the battery ground lug look not corroded but just old. Before I do it I was just wondering what I was getting myself into. Does anybody think I can just lift up the back of the fuel tank and not remove it to get to the alternator lug?

• Online GarminDave   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1399

Online GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Shields
    Re: earth ground harness
    Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2023, 09.37 am
    Aug 21, 2023, 09.37 am
    I personally would replace the ground harness.  It is an easy enough job and taking the time to clean all the connections and coat in dielectric grease would be a good insurance.

As for lifting the tank well that is above my pay grade.
    Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

• Offline nert   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    426

Offline nert

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: blue Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Hopewell, NJ
    Reply #2 on: Sep 07, 2023, 11.02 pm
    Sep 07, 2023, 11.02 pm
    My experience, is that the MAIN 40 amp fuse HOLDER at the battery is the cause of headlight flicker. There is very little actual electrical "blade" contact on the fuse.  The standard fuse provides insufficient terminal contact, resulting in a eclectically conductive poor connection, resulting in low, and fluctuating voltage. (headlight flicker). THE problem IS the OEM fuse holder. I really HATE to cut OEM wires and modify connections. I am ANAL about modifying anything from what the manufacturer provided. My 1966 BSA still has points ignition, Cork Ewart fuel valves and MonoBloc Carburetors. I like it that way. But my meter testing on the Trophy flickering headlights, which I found very annoying for a high spec motorcycle, pointed to a problem at the main fuse. Solution?  I cut out the OEM standard 40 amp fuse holder, (many sleepless nights thinking about to cut, or not to cut) and installed a maxi amp 40 AMP fuse with slide on connectors. (photos) Result? no more flickering, steady and higher voltage measured at the battery. The reason is, because there is better current flow due to greater surface contact with the connectors and the fuse.  Pull your battery fuse and look at the terminals. The shiny spots on the fuse is the point of contact (photo). The Triumph OEM fuse holder does not provide enough surface contact to pass 40 amps of current. Take your TT for a ride, after which, feel the fuse holder in your hand. Its probably warm to hot. The fuse holder is hot because the battery, charging system is trying to utilize a 40 amp circuit through a connection that can only handle 10 amps.

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10625

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #3 on: Sep 08, 2023, 07.15 am
    Sep 08, 2023, 07.15 am
     :762:

Nice one nert - Many thanks for sharing this information.  :028:

I presume you taped up those crimped on spade terminals to protect against any inadvertent short circuits ?

Last Edit: Sep 08, 2023, 07.17 am by Coconut

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10625

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    Reply #4 on: Sep 08, 2023, 09.05 am
    Sep 08, 2023, 09.05 am
    Intrigued by this I just disassembled a new Battery Cable to study the Fuseholder contacts :

The arrow shows where the fuse is inserted. 

Within the circle is the area of main physical contact as the fuse is inserted.

Pressure to hold the fuse in place is achieved by the "springiness"
    of the curved section of the contact, as seen in the above Photograph.

As the fuse is pushed in, the physical / electrical contact area does increase slightly
    but is still mainly confined to the area within the circle marked in red,
    as shown in nert's photo of the fuse.

The opposite side of the fuse makes contact with a raised section along its length,
    so again does not make full contact with the complete area of the fuse blade.

As an alternative suggestion to replacing the OEM Fuseholder, instead of spade type terminals
    pushed directly onto a Maxi Fuse blade ( which would appear to have a better, though still limited contact area )
    the following type of "Strip Link Fuseholder" is worth considering, where a suitable sized flat ring terminal
    attached to each wire is securely screwed down, and has a larger electrical contact area.

If anyone decides to change their Fuseholder - make sure the same Rating of Fuse - 40 Amps is used  :028:
    ( ... and of course always carry a Spare fuse on the bike !  :169: )

Cheers  :821:

• Offline nert   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    426

Offline nert

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: blue Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Hopewell, NJ
    Reply #5 on: Sep 08, 2023, 12.03 pm
    Sep 08, 2023, 12.03 pm
    Yes, the fuse holder solution is better yet. Bravo.

• Offline gonzo68   us

• Trophy Member  ‐    36
    • Topic Author

Offline gonzo68

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 trophy se
    • City / Town: Lincoln
    Reply #6 on: Sep 08, 2023, 03.03 pm
    Sep 08, 2023, 03.03 pm
    Thanks Nert and Coconut, I have not put on the new earth ground harness yet. I did take off the left fairing and clean the ground contact on the motor block though and also the battery connections. It did not cure the problem but it did help a little. I"m going to try what you said and I believe your right and its easy enough. Where did you get the fuse at? Napa auto parts? Menards? Where would I get one like coconut showed? Thank you both again. Just a wealth of good info on this Forum :763: :020:

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10625

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    Reply #7 on: Sep 08, 2023, 03.07 pm
    Sep 08, 2023, 03.07 pm
    Srarch eBay or Amazon for "40 Amp strip link fuse & holder"  :028:

Cheers  :821: