Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Brake pads  (Read 15262 times)

• Offline Oodoom   gb

• Trophy Member  ‐    44
    • Topic Author

Offline Oodoom

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: TTSE
    • City / Town: Buxton
    Brake pads
    on: Sep 06, 2023, 09.17 am
    Sep 06, 2023, 09.17 am
    Hello folks

So , following on from my recent post about brake discs (or rotors as our US friends call them!), my attention has turned to brake pads. I have a number of potentially daft questions:

1. Are the OEM pads organic or sintered?
    2. Does anyone know the part number for the Brembo sintered pads, front and rear? The Brembo configurator website isn't working so I'm struggling to establish exactly what I should be looking for from them. Ive just bought Brembo discs so might be nice to have matching pads!
    3. I'm doing a price comparison between OEM, EBC, Brembo, etc - are there any other brands worth considering? Im trying to avoid those brands you only seem to find on eBay that are suspiciously cheap!
    4. Would you go for organic or sintered?
    5. Finally, any other recommendations for brake pads that are good value and more importantly, give good braking performance?

Thanks in advance!

• Offline coastalisland   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    168

Offline coastalisland

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Columbia SC
    Re: Brake pads
    Reply #1 on: Sep 07, 2023, 02.09 am
    Sep 07, 2023, 02.09 am
     I put EBC Double-H Sintered Brake Pads FA423/4HH on my bike. They do have excellent stopping power, IMO. It seems to me that there is less surge feel than the stock pads. One thing I noticed is when you brake, you can hear a scrub type sound, while the stock pads were quiet when braking.
    Coastalisland

• Online trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    5644

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #2 on: Sep 07, 2023, 02.45 am
    Sep 07, 2023, 02.45 am
    I'd check wheel bearings for sure, all the noise up front in my '13 went away after I changed the wheel bearings and they didn't even feel bad.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline coastalisland   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    168

Offline coastalisland

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Columbia SC
    Reply #3 on: Sep 07, 2023, 01.00 pm
    Sep 07, 2023, 01.00 pm
    I'll check that out! I did have the same sound when I put the same type pads on the rear.
    Coastalisland

• Offline Dan66

• Trophy Pro  ‐    119

Offline Dan66

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Kansas City metro
    Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2023, 12.14 am
    Nov 02, 2023, 12.14 am
    I also run the sintered pads and they do have a bit of a scratching sounds under light braking.  I do like the bite and stopping power.  Need to check disks this winter for thickness.

• Online trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    5644

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2023, 01.22 am
    Nov 02, 2023, 01.22 am
    Depending on the mileage on your bike, I put 40K miles on my '13 and the discs still measured above the service manual minimum when I did a major maintenance before a long trip.  I think the rotors (discs) have a fairly long life span as long as you don't have warpage that causes problems.  I've never really abused brakes in my riding so I find them holding up well.

• Offline STJIM   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    702

Offline STJIM

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE ( Blue )
    • City / Town: West Michigan
    Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2023, 12.55 pm
    Nov 03, 2023, 12.55 pm
    I've been running Kevlar or some other composite or semi-metallic l brake pads on my last 3 bikes with good results.  I like them for 2 reasons :  They cost a lot less than sintered pads and they are easier on brake rotors / discs.  BTW, both terms are used on this side of the pond   :002: .

i usually buy the cheapest pads I can find on Ebay and they all have all worked great.  I used to use Kevlar pads from D2Moto, but it looks like they are not in business anymore.   I couldn't beleive how cheap their pads cost.  They probably could have doubled the price and not have lost many sales.

Anyway, I just checked my spares and the pads I'm using now are Caltric semi-metallic pads.They stop great with a good modulation feel.  A full set for the front and rear is about $22 ( free shipping) .  See :   https://www.ebay.com/itm/282620966154?hash=item41cd85b50a:g:fG8AAOSwjXFjDicj

I bet the cheap price will scare away some buyers because they might think, " How can these pads be any good at that price ?".  But I have never had a problem and at Bike Master there are over 200 evaluations by buyers of cheap berake pads without any negative comments.  After seeing this many years ago, I started buying the less expensive brake pads for my bikes.

Last Edit: Nov 03, 2023, 01.05 pm by STJIM
    IBA #35372  Mile Eater Gold 8-2022
    BBG  5-2014  SS3K 9-2020
    Great Lakes 100 : 2011 / 2019 / 2022 / 2023
    2015 TTSE , 2008 Concours C-14
    1998 ST1100  1976 Moto Guzzi Convert

• Online trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    5644

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    Reply #7 on: Nov 03, 2023, 02.08 pm
    Nov 03, 2023, 02.08 pm
    I know it depends on the riding style, but how long do your pads typically last?  They're so easy to change that it really wouldn't matter if they only lasted long enough to make 10K miles service interval.  I always check mine more often than that anyway so I don't get a rotor ruined.  My '13 got the OEM and EBC pads changed at 20K and 40K miles with some life left, just for peace of mind.

tweedy-bunch