Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] 100000 km Ontario canada not too hot climate garage kept 2013 SE  (Read 882 times)

• Offline strathroy   ca

• Trophy Pro  ‐    167
    • Topic Author

Offline strathroy

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Strathroy
    100000 km Ontario canada not too hot climate garage kept 2013 SE
    on: Feb 06, 2024, 02.32 pm
    Feb 06, 2024, 02.32 pm
    Has anyone had problems with their fork head bearings and fork oil. I have not serviced either but itís a lot of work or money just wondering if I need to. Iím not asking for what the manual says but for peopleís experience.

Same I havenít changed the brake or clutch fluid and never have on any vehicle Iíve owned. Do I need to I donít drive on the track, garage kept

Not looking for guarantee s just ownerís experience

Thanks

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    5645

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Re: 100000 km Ontario canada not too hot climate garage kept 2013 SE
    Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2024, 04.17 pm
    Feb 06, 2024, 04.17 pm
    I change clutch and brake fluid at least every 2 years if I don't make the mileage.  I've seen the inside of an automobile caliper opened up for rebuild and there was an accumulation of rust in the low point in it.  Evidence of moisture in the system due to heating and cooling of the fluid and components.  That caliper was steel so it would rust easily.  I don't trust that there won't be moisture in the system and the fluid just gets old and needs to be refreshed.  Mine is garage kept as well.  Forks get more of a work out than the brakes, so I think that's important too.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10626

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2024, 06.53 pm
    Feb 06, 2024, 06.53 pm
    I haven't needed to change the Fork Oil or service the Forks on my 2017 Trophy in the UK,
    but I always change the Brake and Clutch fluids every 2 years, as recommended.

Brake Fluid is "Hygroscopic" - that is, it absorbs water, and despite some folks thinking
    this won't be a problem because the brake circuits are sealed, they actually aren't,
    and are vented at the Master cylinder reservoir.

The problem with Brake fluid that has absorbed water is that it will BOIL more readily than Brake fluid. 
    You don't need a Track day - a good run out with several heavy braking periods will soon get things nice and hot.

When Brake fluid boils and turns to vapour, it is very easy to compress compared to brake fluid,
    and that is when you lose your brakes, as there is no pressure to operate the caliper pistons.

It is ( probably ? ) unlikely that this would happen, but for the sake of a Litre of brake fluid,
    and either a Dealer's labour cost, or the cost of buying a DealerTool device or other OBD Device to use with TigerTool,
    ( needed to operate the ABS Valves for full bleeding of the system ), why take the risk ?

It's much less likely to be a problem with the Clutch circuit, as that doesn't get anywhere near as hot,
    but I change it anyway while doing the brake circuits, if nothing else to use up the Brake fluid in the opened bottle !

Cheers  :821:

• Offline strathroy   ca

• Trophy Pro  ‐    167
    • Topic Author

Offline strathroy

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Strathroy
    Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2024, 04.40 pm
    Feb 07, 2024, 04.40 pm
    I spoke with my triumph dealer and he told donít bother with greasing the fork bearings just give forks a shake to test preload.

• Offline Hank.SD   us

• Trophy Member  ‐    36

Offline Hank.SD

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 14 Tophy SE
    • City / Town: Brookings, SD USA
    Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2024, 03.54 pm
    Feb 19, 2024, 03.54 pm
    My bike is a 2014 and I've had it for 2 years.   This winter I gave it a full service, valve check, new CCT, new coolant, and new brake and clutch fluids.  I'm sure it had never been done.

I've seen much worse looking fluid.   To me, 2 years is excessive.  I'd be comfortable with 5 years, unless it started looking really brown.   I'm sure other will disagree.

I did not grease the stem bearings.     I did grease my rear suspension linkages and they looked pretty good in terms of grease health and quantity.

Last Edit: Feb 19, 2024, 03.56 pm by Hank.SD