Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Staintune Exhaust  (Read 17410 times)

Offline Tonto

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sydney
Staintune Exhaust
« on: October 14, 2013, 06:38:44 AM »
I have decided to keep discussions on the Staintune muffler separate from discussions relating to the Remus muffler, so I have now started a new topic spefically for the Staintune - which I suspect will be available from Staintune Australia, well, as soon as they receive an order.

To pick up from my conversation/comments in this Forum under the Remus Exhaust blog, just before going overseas 2 weeks ago, I left my 2013 TTSE with Staintune to enable them to manufacture a suitable muffler.  Staintune already produce mufflers for many Triumph models, including the Tiger Explorer (1200cc) which carries the same motor as the TT.  Hopefully the wonderful exhaust note of that muffler will be replicated with the TT.  A cool video if the 2012 Tiger (1200cc) wearing the Staintune muffler can be seen on Youtube.

I have now returned from overseas, and with impeccable timing, just received a call from Staintune informing me that my bike has been fitted with a new Staintune muffler and is ready to be collected.  I am collecting my bike (affectionately named ‘Kitty’ by my wife) tomorrow evening after work and will try to post some initial feedback on the new can in the next few days. 

So far, the Staintune website does not mention or show any pictures of their muffler for TT, but I’m sure it’s just a matter of time before it does.
Always ride in control.

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: Staintune Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 07:50:50 AM »
Very brave of you to be the test patient! Thank you for going to that trouble. I will be interested to see and hear the results!

Mind you, probably no use for us in the UK as will probably be cheaper to ride there to pick it up!

LOL :156:
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 07:54:36 AM »
Its just down the road for me to pick one up.  I will be interested in what the dyno results are, but more importantly how it feels to ride.  I have still to hear about when I can pick up my :084: bike

In the mean time, the St1100 has to do 3 rides, each of which are 2000kms plus.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 07:58:58 AM by saaz »

Offline Tonto

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 08:07:55 AM »
Cropbiker and UK gals and lads.

According to the Staintune website, they have a UK dealer: Sportouring.co.uk; staintune.co.uk

I don't feel so brave being the first to try the Staintune, apparently, as I am the ginnie pig, apart from 2 x 2 hour train trips to and from the Staintune factory, the muffler is being provided to me at no charge.  If I don't like it, I can simply swap it out with the stock can.  But I have a feeling that this won't be necessary.
Always ride in control.

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 08:14:47 AM »
I have a feeling it should be really good.

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 08:24:52 PM »
Sounds like a good deal for you...... I will check out sporttouring!
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Paulvt1

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda VFR 1200
  • City / Town: Wolverhampton
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 03:42:10 PM »
Good man! Free can too... :002:

Offline Tonto

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 12:53:08 AM »
Staintune Muffler-First Impressions

Put it this way, is the TT stock muffler going back on?  NO WAY!

Picked the bike up from Staintune last night, ride home took 90 minutes on a mix of winding country road and freeway. As it was night time and I was concerned about the potential of hitting a kangaroo or possum I did not go hard.  As such, I cannot comment on top end performance just yet, but based on my first impressions in the lower/mid ranges, I would be surprised if there is going to be disappointment higher up.

The Staintune does feel like it delivers improved throttle response and acceleration which is particularly noticeable in the mid range. I was certainly not disappointed, bearing in mind that these days it is not reasonable to expect supersonic performance improvement by just swapping out a muffler. That said, there is definitely is an improvement and the muffler seems to have been very well balanced as far as exhaust gas flows are concerned -  I could not sense any flat spots.  But I would need to take the beast out during the day time and do some more aggressive riding to confirm this 100%.     

The baffle was NOT inserted, and I tell you, it's not going to be.  The exhaust note (baffle removed) is just right for a tourer, it has a nice deep throaty sound, I really do like it.

Dyno chart and pictures (low res) are attached - more pics to follow.  The markings on the muffler are actually reflections of surrounding objects (the muffler has a mirror like finish).  I am heading off to a HOG rally tomorrow so I won't be able to capture any video to show off the exhaust note, perhaps in a few weeks time.

Staintune expects to have pictures and details on its website in 2 or 3 weeks time, expected to be around AUD800 in Australia.  And yes, the muffler will be available in the UK and USA.

Now for what could be the controversial bit for some [not for me].  The Staintune is an oval shaped highly polished (mirror finish) stainless steel sports looking muffler, while the stock muffler is a shades of grey Star Treky triangular shaped muffler.  This of course means a change in looks. To me, it comes down to personal taste and no one is right or wrong.  I like the sporty style and polished mirror finish look of the Staintune, I think it adds real class to the bike as well as being a great talking point. And being SS, it will last, well, 'forever'.   Whether in time there will be any bluing from the high temperatures at the connecting point will be a matter for the future.

Always ride in control.