Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Gosh! What a great bike! It even repairs itself!!!  (Read 2936 times)

Offline Bubbaslye

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumphy TROPHY
  • City / Town: Charleston
Gosh! What a great bike! It even repairs itself!!!
« on: October 17, 2013, 01:27:53 am »
OK...a longish story but moderately amusing ( to a degree ).

Bought the TROPHY this past January -- have been super pleased with NO problems whatsoever.   Left Monday
( with about 7600 total miles ) on a 230 mile ride to visit my wife's family.  Five miles from my destination ( turning left at a light ) the engine abruptly cut off.  Thanks to my location it was no problem to coast the bike to an empty parking lot. Bike would not restart ( though electrics were strong).

Got a ride from a family member and went to supper.  Came back roughly 45 minutes later whereupon the
bike promptly restarted.  Rode to my destination but noticed a dash warning light I had not noticed before.

Manual tells me that the steady light I see is the engine malfunction light and that I am now in "limp  home
mode."  You can read all about on p. 27 of the manual.

The next morning I started the bike without trouble but noticed that the engine malfunction light was still
lit.  Decided I needed to find out just what I was up against.

My location is middle Georgia with the nearest TRIUMPH dealer approximately 140 miles away.  Tuesday morning
I call several different dealers to be told that the light simply means I would running the bike at less than full
power and that doing so should not be a problem.  One sounded certain this was the case; the others a bit less
so.

So...lacking either a truck or a trailer I figured I had no choice but to ride the bike to the nearest dealer. 

The next morning ( today to be precise ), I cranked the bike at 9:00 and GUESS WHAT!  No engine malfunction
light -- overnight the bike had cured itself!  All that was necessary was my tossing and turning and worrying
about it all night long.

Bottom line:  the 230 mile ride back home to Charleston, SC, was a delight -- cool weather, less traffic than
expected . . . and all on a very modern, very up-to-date machine that repairs itself.  What more could you ask?

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: Gosh! What a great bike! It even repairs itself!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 06:19:25 am »
I would not be so sure it is fully cured.

If you search on here for TPS you will find several similar tales about the Throttle Position Sensor failing and causing the engine to quit, then after a time the bike appearing fixed and able to start again.

I would contact your dealer, explain the symptoms and tell them about the TPS problems and insist on it being changed. there is a different sensor being used for later models.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Roger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Kent
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 07:39:00 am »
Hi Bubbaslye

I do like your positive attitude I think it will help you in many ways through life, however I think we will be reading about your problem again possibly in the TPS section !

Roger

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 10:38:07 am »
Definately a TPS issue. Be warned. It will happen again!
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline monkeycabbage

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy 900
  • City / Town: Gillingham
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 10:55:17 am »
*Originally Posted by Berber [+]
Be warned. It will happen again!

Not that I ant to be a kill-joy... but I agree, plus you may not be lucky enough to have a safe coasting spot to pull up. Definitely worth getting it replaced.
...on an old 900  :164:

Paranoia is a survival mechanism!

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 02:07:16 pm »
My Sprint resets its ecu after 3 warm ups with no more errors (3 runs) so it looks like Trophy is the same.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 03:28:03 pm »
 It may or may not be a TPS issue.  Not all stall issues are the TPS.  The warning light is capable of resetting itself if the fault is not active.  However if go to your dealer who has the Triumph analytic tool there will still be a history fault code which should enable him to diagnose the problem.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 04:32:38 pm »
*Originally Posted by w8d4it [+]
It may or may not be a TPS issue.  Not all stall issues are the TPS.  The warning light is capable of resetting itself if the fault is not active.  However if go to your dealer who has the Triumph analytic tool there will still be a history fault code which should enable him to diagnose the problem.

Ditto  :028: Take to the dealers and get it sorted thats what the warranty is for  :028: :028: :028:

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

tweedy-bunch