Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Final Drive Failure / Triumph Warranty  (Read 10155 times)

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
Re: Final Drive Failure / Triumph Warranty
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 08:26:31 pm »
It is true that problems get over-represented as normally we only complain about BAD things, and don't broadcast what we think is GOOD....

Me, I had 2 BMW final drives go, BMW never admitted there was a problem..... or fixed it... though they would warranty bad FDs.

Me, I'm going to continue the BMW practice of changing FD lube every time I change engine oil, and check that little magnet feller for bad stuff.... 
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC
2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES ( in the mail )...

Offline ibpete

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Chula Vista
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 08:58:06 pm »
I too had BMW FD failures. Regretfully, they weren't covered under warranty. The cost of repair/rebuild isn't the killer it's being broke down in BumFeck PA and having to go down and buy an OTC plane ticket. That particular failure not only ruined a rally weekend but cost me about $1500 in travel expenses.

FWIW -- the BMW FD problem was that the gap between the gears was too tight. If you had BMW repair it, it would fail again because they used the factory settings for gear alignment. The last one was rebuilt by Beemerworks in SF and they did it right.

But you are absolutely correct that BMW never owned up to having a problem.
Mike Langford [aka IB Pete] IBA#341
I really hate it when I commit to running a yellow light and the guy in front of me chickens out.

Offline ibpete

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 12:30:58 am »
Update on the final drive replacement.

Bottom line is I still don't have my bike.

I called last week to get the status and they mumbled something about a gasket still being on order and said they'd get back with me.
The service manager called a few hours later and said that in the process of replacing the FD they discovered a leaking gasket on the engine. Well that triggered the whole "lets get approval from Triumph for warrenty work" process.

As I understand it this entails the dealer documenting the problem with 8x10 color glossies with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back explaining each one. This goes to Triumph where they review it and request additional info. This may be one or more iterations. With the time difference each iteration is going to be a least a day.

Once the claim is approved then the parts can be ordered. As I saw on another thread there ain't no parts in the US.

The dealer said the gasket was coming from the UK and he "hoped" it would be in this week. :-(

I wasn't in any hurry for the bike but I sure didn't plan on going 3 weeks without it.

Right now I'm questioning the value of the mfg warrenty.
I really hate it when I commit to running a yellow light and the guy in front of me chickens out.

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2013, 01:19:57 am »
*Originally Posted by ibpete [+]
I too had BMW FD failures. Regretfully, they weren't covered under warranty. The cost of repair/rebuild isn't the killer it's being broke down in BumFeck PA and having to go down and buy an OTC plane ticket. That particular failure not only ruined a rally weekend but cost me about $1500 in travel expenses.

FWIW -- the BMW FD problem was that the gap between the gears was too tight. If you had BMW repair it, it would fail again because they used the factory settings for gear alignment. The last one was rebuilt by Beemerworks in SF and they did it right.

But you are absolutely correct that BMW never owned up to having a problem.

I was left on the side of the road by my RT in DismalSeepage, Ohio...    (:>
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2013 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2013, 01:23:12 am »
*Originally Posted by ibpete [+]
Update on the final drive replacement.

Bottom line is I still don't have my bike.

I called last week to get the status and they mumbled something about a gasket still being on order and said they'd get back with me.
The service manager called a few hours later and said that in the process of replacing the FD they discovered a leaking gasket on the engine. Well that triggered the whole "lets get approval from Triumph for warrenty work" process.

As I understand it this entails the dealer documenting the problem with 8x10 color glossies with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back explaining each one. This goes to Triumph where they review it and request additional info. This may be one or more iterations. With the time difference each iteration is going to be a least a day.

Once the claim is approved then the parts can be ordered. As I saw on another thread there ain't no parts in the US.

The dealer said the gasket was coming from the UK and he "hoped" it would be in this week. :-(

I wasn't in any hurry for the bike but I sure didn't plan on going 3 weeks without it.

Right now I'm questioning the value of the mfg warrenty.

Last time I was in the shop I had a fairing piece replaced, it had a blemish on it and I figured for the bucks, it should be flawless.  I reported it soon after purchase, sent pictures to my dealer, who is 135 miles south.   In a few days he reported Triumph had 'ok'd the replacement'...  When the work was done he mentioned something about 'Triumph having to approve every claim before any work was done'.  Hopefully, this doesn't happen if you are on a trip, have a breakdown, and then have to wait for 1)approval 2)parts to be shipped from Hinkley and 3) installation... Could be a lot of motel nights....
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2013 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline ibpete

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2013, 02:22:02 am »
*Originally Posted by janfmiller [+]
Hopefully, this doesn't happen if you are on a trip, have a breakdown, and then have to wait for 1)approval 2)parts to be shipped from Hinkley and 3) installation... Could be a lot of motel nights....

My concern exactly. It is worrisome.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2013, 04:17:53 am »
Just one of the reasons I didn't stop on my last long distance run
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline droptine1968

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: BMW R1200RT
  • City / Town: N.W. Ohio
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2013, 05:11:53 pm »
*Originally Posted by janfmiller [+]
I was left on the side of the road by my RT in DismalSeepage, Ohio...    (:>
Could have been worse, it could have been Toledo.

tweedy-bunch