Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Did a couple of long(ish) Iron Butt rides  (Read 2673 times)

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Did a couple of long(ish) Iron Butt rides
« on: October 21, 2013, 09:29:18 pm »
Had to make a quick trip to New York.  Could have flown but decided to ride.  Decided to try the Iron Butt 1000 mile ride (1000 miles in 24 hours).  I'd done rides like this before when I was young, long before the Iron Butt Association existed.  Wanted to see if I still had it in me.  Long story short, rode the first 1080 in 20 hours.  Just to make sure did a second certification at 1280 miles at 23 hours.  Picked up witness certification for 1500 miles in Selingsgrove Pennsylvania.  Picked up a second witness certification at 1750 miles.  The entire 1750 in 34 hours.  Trophy performed almost flawlessly and made the ride a piece of cake.  Did lose my audio at 1740 miles but easily rectified that the next day. Also had the recurring problem of malfunctioning shifting sensor.  Didn't affect my ability to ride though.  No rain, perfect weather, no construction, no traffic jams, easy ride.   I will be submitting the details for Iron Butt certification but given that I have all receipts and witness accounts and easily exceeded requirements do not expect problems.

Also had to get back quickly and as the first trip went so well and given I did 1750 miles in 34 hours figured I would make the return trip from New York to Texas a Saddle Sore 2000 (2000 miles in 48 hours).    A few adjustment to the route turns the 1750 miles into 2200 miles.  Wish I could say the return ride was as uneventful.  Hit rain in Pennsylvania.  Stayed in rainsuit all the way back to Texas.  Hit cold and fog in Tennessee.  Temps fell to the mid 40's Fahrenheit. But the worst was yet to come.  Just outside Nashville on Interstate 40 the bike died while doing 70mph.  Fortunately I was in the lane closest to the shoulder and pulled off before being run over by 18 wheelers.  I assume it was the dreaded TPS failure so I knew no dealer was going to do a quick fix for me, even if I could find one open.  With no other choice I waited until the bike would start again and continued the quest for the Saddle Sore 2000.  Picked up witness certification for the 1000 Iron Butt at the Harley Dealer in Jackson Tennessee (how is that for irony) and kept going.   Hit construction and traffic jams in Arkansas but was still easily on target for the Saddle Sore 2000. Rain picked up again and temps fell to the mid 30s Fahrenheit in Oklahoma.  Visibility was way down but still was easily on target for Saddle Sore 2000.  Picked up certification for the 1500 miles in Checothaw Oklahoma.  Kept on in the pouring rain.  Then disaster nearly struck.  The bike had been performing so well I'd nearly forgotten about the TPS stall. But in Okemah, Oklahoma the bike let me know in no uncertain terms it was done for the night.  Sitting on the side of Interstate 40 in the pouring rain, with traffic whipping by me at 75-80 mph and slinging rain all over me I decided I too was done for the night.  Fortunately I had coasted to about 2/3 of a mile from an exit.  A short push (although it didn't seem short at the time) and I was at a hotel for the night.  But I still had a slight chance at the Saddle Sore 2000 if I got up early enough and if the bike cooperated.  Got up at 5 AM.  Temperature was 33 F.  33F!  I mean come on, it is Oklahoma.  Since when is it freezing in Oklahoma in mid October?  Nearly went back to bed but decided to give it a go.  Rest of the story is anticlimactic.  Bike started right up and performed well, (except I lost audio again)  for the remainder of the ride.  Temps stayed in the 40s until I hit Texas and then they shot up to high 60s.  Picked up my Saddle Sore witness certification of 2024 miles in Buffalo, Texas with 1/2 hour to spare.  Would have like to had a bit more padding on the mileage but with towns so far apart wasn't sure I'd find another witness in the next 20 minutes or so.  Still I have every reason to believe Iron Butt will recognize the 2024 in less than 48 hours as I have all receipts, and double witness certifications.

The Trophy performed reasonably well but the two TPS shutdowns (which were big incidents and worrisome), the  loss of audio and the failure of the shifting sensor were disappointing.   What the ride tells me is that the Trophy's mechanics are rock solid but the electronics are really wobbly.  Unfortunately with today's modern bikes, electronics severely affect ridability.  As much as I am a Triumph cheerleader, Triumph needs to get its act together on this bike and get the fixes out to the owners....NOW.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 11:22:20 pm by w8d4it »
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Roger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Kent
Re: Did a couple of long(ish) rides
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 10:26:13 pm »
Wow that was some trip ! I cannot imagine riding that distance in that time, I imagine you must have been knackered for days after.

The two shutdowns are disappointing and are now becoming a regular occurrence on these bikes. I think If I were in the QC dept at Triumph I would keep an eye on forums like this as it show's true riding conditions across the globe, theres a lot to be learnt from them, perhaps they do peep !

As you said the mechanical side of the bike done very well thankfully

Good achievement tho W8d

Roger

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
Re: Did a couple of long(ish) Iron Butt rides
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 05:49:36 pm »
Thanks.  Although not my longest trip by far, the 2000 in less than 48 did feel like a bit of an accomplishment.  Always loved the term "knackered"  and I was.  But I'm sorry to say that the Trophy's electrics were more so.  Got to get to the dealer at my earliest opportunity.
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Sid001

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Trenton, NJ
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 12:36:41 pm »
Wow - what an amazing ride. What seat were you using? I rode 300 miles yesterday and my ass was killing me.
2013 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 04:43:21 pm »
Thanks.  I rode using the standard launch edition heated seat set in the low position.  The seat does take a bit of getting used to.  When I first got the bike I found it uncomfortable but after a couple of thousand got used to it.
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST