Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Hello from Dominican Republic  (Read 3358 times)

Offline emxgarcia

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
Hello from Dominican Republic
« on: October 22, 2013, 02:51:06 am »
Although I ride a Harley I consider myself a true motorcycle enthusiast.
I am curious about motorcycling in general (not necessarily knowledgeable) and about its history and current affairs.

I was born in USA but lived most of my life in Dominican Republic and as such I hold a strong appreciation for the vastness of US, it's roads and people. I am absolutely fascinated by Smalltown, USA. By the same token, I am surprised at the diversity of sights that Dominicana in its 2/3 of an island has to offer.

I currently ride a 2007 Street Glide which I call Old No. 7 in reference to its model year and to some Jack Daniels Old No. 7 themed parts it has.

While visiting the Barber Vintage Festival this past week I was very well impressed with Triumph's line up in particular the Tiger 800XC, the Explorer and the Trophy SE. Today I find myself seriously considering the Trophy SE as my next ride and that's why I am here.

There are no Triumph dealers here, so I really have to research this one before taking any steps.

Thanks and see you all down the road!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 11:57:28 am by emxgarcia »

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: Hello from Dominican Republic
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 03:15:54 am »
First Welcome to the Forum :400: Second, much as I love Triumphs, I wouldn't recommend buying any brand if there are no dealers.  Warranty becomes rather useless.  And unfortunately it appears that you might very well need the warranty with the current Trophy.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 06:37:40 am »
Hello and welcome.
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 07:21:31 am »
Hello and welcome....

Don't listen to the nay Sayers or you will never invest in ANY bike. All manufacturers have there share of warranty issues, Triumph, BMW, Harley and the rest.

The vast majority of Trophy riders are very happy with their mounts, even those who have had problems would recommend it for features, riding ability and value for money.

W8d4it is right that having some dealership support for any potential warranty issues should be a consideration. But I should imagine living on the Dominican Republic means that would rather limit your choice!

I would contact Triumph direct and ask them what their policy is for warranty and spares support on the island, do they have a local agent who may not necessarily be a full deAlership for example?
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 01:38:06 pm »
 :401: to the forum

Agree with cropbiker. if you have some support would be good. BUt a great bike from Triumph which you would enjoy.

Used to pop into porta plata for victuals  :821:when I was working on the turks and caicos islands back in 86/87 had some good runs ashore.

seadog :821: :821:
seadog

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 03:20:01 pm »
Don't get me wrong.  I've been a long time Triumph rider and fan, more than 40 years.  Normally I do everything I can to guide people to the Triumph brand.  However I have never owned any bike that didn't need warranty work and service maintenance.  If emxgarcia says there are no Triumph dealers in the Dominican Republic then I think it prudent to look to a brand that does.  That is my point.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline emxgarcia

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 05:03:45 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome.
I have been looking at the issues and certainly have a level of apprehension on this current batch of Trophies. I believe there is a dealer in Puerto Rico and that may be a good excuse to take the ferry.

However, there are a few things that I have to add to the conversation.
1) This purchase will not occur within the next six months
2) Very few dealers in DR, only major brands, and those only BMW and HD have touring bikes, the rest are just doing under 600cc bikes.

My dream plan is to purchase the Trophy SE somewhere in the East Coast (except CA) then ride across the US into FL. During that ride, do all the maintenance and double checking I can afford, then a final inspection and then ship it.

Of course, provided that during this timeframe (now and then) the issues that have been flaring are sorted out.

I agree with w8d4it that, considering the current state of affairs, it would be a compromise.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 05:06:52 pm »
What a very sensible and pragmatic approach you are taking -  :047: