Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Anyone switch from a BMW r1200rt to Trophy SE  (Read 7835 times)

Offline droptine1968

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: BMW R1200RT
  • City / Town: N.W. Ohio
Anyone switch from a BMW r1200rt to Trophy SE
« on: October 22, 2013, 05:31:14 am »
Hello eveyrone.  R1200RT rider here.  I was just wondering if any one here switched from the R1200RT to the Trophy SE, with the typical questions as to why you switched, what you like more about the Trophy, what you like more about the R1200RT, etc......  Happy or unhappy with the decision.  IMO, the R will not win a beauty contest with just about any sport tourer made today, but it is a solid running bike with comfort and features.

Online Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Anyone switch from a BMW r1200rt to Trophy SE
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 09:46:04 am »
Hi there !

Have a look here : What did you ride before the Trophy ?

There is a Poll on there where ( currently ) 46.8% of those that responded rode BMW's before buying a Trophy,
so there's bound to be a few comments from R1200RT owners, although I'm not one of them  :028:

Offline TrophyTim

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: West Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 07:15:59 pm »
I switched from two successive RTs, via a R1200GSA. My view of the RT is that they are being built down to a price, rather than up to a quality.

I experienced numerous breakdowns of the 'new'-style switchgear on my £16k 2010 MU bike, such that I rejected it after several months and it was replaced by BMW with another identical 2011 RT. Unfortunately this replacement RT suffered from exactly the same problem and, again, I rejected this one, too. (It helps having a daughter who is a lawyer...)

To give them full credit, BMW again offered a replacement so I opted for a fully-laden 1200GSA (fully-laden, so that I had a bike of equivalent value), complete with old-style and, in my past experience, reliable switchgear. I kept the Adventure for a year before deciding an out-and-out tourer was more for me.

After trying a K1600GTL and being horrified at the primitive driveline engineering, I became aware of the Trophy. I test-rode one and ordered it there and then. I will not be going on a tour until spring of next year (frustrating!) but I am enjoying the everyday ridability of the bike very much. It's so smooth, makes a beautiful noise, and it's efficient. Hopefully it's reliable, too. I do read of various issues on this forum, but assume that the majority of Trophies are problem-free and that only a few are affected by mechanical problems. The Trophy is not without niggles (that cruise control button, for one - my thumb is nowhere near long enough!) but on balance I prefer it as a great everyday ride-out bike and tourer too.

Offline venomyellow

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 15 Rocket 14 K1600
  • City / Town: Stratford Upon Avon
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 08:35:52 pm »
I've been running the two bikes side by side for the last five months.

For me, the electronic suspension on the RT is the only area where it beats the Trophy.

In every other respect, handling, build quality, engine, power, gearbox, reliability - the TT is a clear winner for me.

I'll probably regret saying this now, but my Trophy hasn't missed a single beat in 3300 miles, including riding in some pretty torrential downpours - the RT however, has coughed, spluttered, refused to start, and then changed its mind and run fine. Sold it now - the new owner is picking the RT up next Saturday, and it's taken 4 months to sell and lost a small fortune. Just happy that there's some used warranty left for the new owner.

I'm a big fan of BMWs - however this RT wasn't a good example and didn't compare to the Trophy.

Offline droptine1968

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: BMW R1200RT
  • City / Town: N.W. Ohio
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 03:29:12 am »
Regardless of which bike you like more, I think we would all agree that that the majority of the  American motorcycle buying market is dominated by tunnel vision towards Vtwin powered cruiser designs, powered by the HD marketing juggernaut.  I've talked to guys who, regardless of what make and model will only ever ride cruisers.  I guess I would like to see more open mindedness in the US so that dealer markets for makes like Triumph and BMW would increase here.

Offline Wells

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Gainesville
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 03:15:53 pm »
*Originally Posted by droptine1968 [+]
Regardless of which bike you like more, I think we would all agree that that the majority of the  American motorcycle buying market is dominated by tunnel vision towards Vtwin powered cruiser designs, powered by the HD marketing juggernaut.  I've talked to guys who, regardless of what make and model will only ever ride cruisers.  I guess I would like to see more open mindedness in the US so that dealer markets for makes like Triumph and BMW would increase here.

I don't see this happening... not with the marketing campaigns that the V-twin folks have going.
Other Bikes:
Honda 919
Honda CB750A Hondamatic

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 03:59:56 pm »
I compared the BMW and Triumph and I skipped the former and went straight to the latter.
I thought the Trophy to be the better bike.

As per the later part of this thread, I have a friend who wanted a HD bagger. I got him to try the Thunderbird and he soon forgot about HD. On a whim he took a Sprint GT for a test ride. It is now in his stable and he's eying my Trophy. I think he'll have one in the spring.
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

Offline mototux

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 05:06:11 pm »
Didn't come from an RT, but from a 1200GT (different ball-game, I know - but supposedly a tourer as well) and I wouldn't hesitate a second to recommend the switch to the Trophy! Much better handling, bearbox, reliability (though the TT is only 1 season old, so maybe too early to compare) and riding pleasure. In every aspect a big thumbs up :028: for the TT!
To be fair: it is a new bike compared to a 2006/7 model - but even on newer BMWs, I'd opt for the TT hands-down!
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.