Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Anyone switch from a BMW r1200rt to Trophy SE  (Read 7698 times)

Offline droptine1968

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: BMW R1200RT
  • City / Town: N.W. Ohio
Re: Anyone switch from a BMW r1200rt to Trophy SE
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 07:43:46 pm »
*Originally Posted by Wells [+]
I don't see this happening... not with the marketing campaigns that the V-twin folks have going.
While modern sport touring bikes are popular in Europe for fit and funtionality, here in the US, the market is stuck on antiquated technology and designs, a store bought image, and the fassad of a "life style" that no one can really explain what it is, yet consider themselves living it, at least on the weekends, if they can remember to forget to shave after Wednesday.

Offline miss

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy se
  • City / Town: madrid

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 12:05:37 am »
Interesting reading, once I got used to the translation.  I think the comparison table down a bit shows that all the bikes in his class are good, it is just a matter of what you are after.  I haven't tried the 1200RT so can't comment as to how it might appeal to me.

Offline Teign500

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE, 2013
  • City / Town: Teignmouth
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2020, 04:20:01 am »
Came over from an almost-new 1150RT, which I owned and comprehensively serviced for 10 years.  I bought it for the handling and electronic servo-ABS braking system, which was brilliant until it failed 7 years in - despite scheduled brake fluid replacement.  Always annoyed that BMW never owned up to this fault, which led to 5% braking efficiency when the failure occurred (fortunately I got away with not having a serious accident).  A 'lobotomy' (removal of the servo-ABS unit and reversion to non-ABS front and back disk operation by handlebar and foot levers) was performed, and that was the end of the wonder-braking system.  The fault seemed to be universal, and certainly also happened on my mate's 1150RT, bought at the same time, and a similar age.

I had a BMW K75s before the RT and loved the smoothness and torque of the triple engine, despite being 'just' a 750, hence looking at the Trophy as the next bike.  It delivers in terms of smoothness, torque, and fuel economy, with less need for downchanges when 'making progress' compared to the RT, though I do need the gearbox more than the RT for engine braking, especially on downhills into bends (plenty of those in Devon). 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 04:21:53 am by Teign500 »

Offline digital

• Trophy Master
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
  • Bike: digital
  • City / Town: Barcelona
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2020, 02:09:02 pm »
I was aware of that ABS problem on the RT.

I have a mechanic friend who has always had BMW motorcycles and he mentioned that problem that BMW asked to replace if I remember correctly the ABS modulator. He himself got down to work to repair his motorcycle and I think he told us that the problem was caused by a small rubber that its price did not exceed € 5, he repaired it, cleaned the Modulator and it never happened again.
Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.