Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Dealer Tool  (Read 6481 times)

Offline gtgt2112

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: Manchester
Dealer Tool
« on: October 22, 2013, 09:01:30 am »
Are there many of us who have bought the dealer tool?

Apart from my interest in how the bike works, and as I usually try to take a small laptop on holiday it would be a first line
of investigation in the event of a breakdown.

Maybe a section of the forum could host information regarding use of the
dealertool and the expected readings in both normal and breakdown situations.

Offline strathroy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Strathroy
Re: Dealer Tool
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 05:56:53 pm »
Yes that makes a lot of sense after the warranty is up I shall be doing all of my own maintenance as well :440:

Offline Wells

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Gainesville
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 09:04:51 pm »
I have the dealer tool and used it for my 500 mile service. It was pretty simple in operation, but I did run into a pitfall or two when getting it to work at first. The instructions for installing the software are a bit rudimentary.

I am absolutely available for any questions anyone might have, including what the capabilities of the software are and such. I have been using the TuneECU software for my Thunderbird for a number of years, and this software was very similar in capability, so it wasn't much of a transition.
Other Bikes:
Honda 919
Honda CB750A Hondamatic

Offline strathroy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 09:37:19 pm »
So when you plug in the dealer tool it down loads the most recent ecu tune? Or do you have to manually download something from dealer tool?

Offline Wells

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 03:51:25 pm »
At this time Dealer Tool does not do any ECU tuning. It only reads variables that are in the ECU, and it can also perform the following:

• Reset the miles to next service
  • Manipulate the ABS solenoid when you are bleeding brake fluid

There may be other features, but changing things like fuel mappings is not one of them at this time. That was something I know that TuneECU could do on my Thunderbird, but the Trophy's ECU is much more locked down and prevents you from manipulating things like that now.
Other Bikes:
Honda 919
Honda CB750A Hondamatic

Offline strathroy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 01:04:32 am »
So it's kind of useless I can make functions work like the windshield but no updates that was what I bought it for not complaining to you but?

Offline Wells

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 06:16:10 pm »
The reason I bought it was to do those checks that it can do, without having to take it into the dealer. For the $100USD that I paid for it, I can amortize that cost over the life of the machine, and perform the labor of all of those checks myself. To have a dealer do it will cost at least that much the first time around, and then each additional time, so in the end I am saving quite a bit of cash that I can save for other things.

I hold no issue with those that would rather just let the dealer handle it for them... that is their prerogative and it does keep those dealers and mechanics in business, which we need  for when bad things happen to our machines.
Other Bikes:
Honda 919
Honda CB750A Hondamatic

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 01:19:48 am »
*Originally Posted by Wells [+]
The reason I bought it was to do those checks that it can do, without having to take it into the dealer. For the $100USD that I paid for it, I can amortize that cost over the life of the machine, and perform the labor of all of those checks myself. To have a dealer do it will cost at least that much the first time around, and then each additional time, so in the end I am saving quite a bit of cash that I can save for other things.

I hold no issue with those that would rather just let the dealer handle it for them... that is their prerogative and it does keep those dealers and mechanics in business, which we need  for when bad things happen to our machines.
My though exactly :0461:
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST