Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: BT21/23 Comparisoin and head scratching...  (Read 6422 times)

Offline monkeycabbage

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy 900
  • City / Town: Gillingham
BT21/23 Comparisoin and head scratching...
« on: October 25, 2013, 09:00:27 am »
I know on forums, the same question comes up time and time again... "What tyres do I choose?"

Well... I have a very specific question for my "900 Trophy"... What is the difference between Bridgestone's BT21S and BT23s?

When I got the old girl, she came with 21s. The last few bikes I've had I've always gone fore the 23s. But in the wet weather now, I am finding the bike quite slippery and even had my back wheel kick out on a roundabout on Saturday during an IAM observed run  :005: (So I can honestly say I was behaving myself!!).

Even changing lanes on the A2 this morning, subtle leans just don't feel very planted. I'm running the correct 36/42 tyre pressures and check them every 2-3 days - last checked on Weds evening.

I have an all year-round commute in dry, wet and ice so I want to find something to give me confidence in the bends and the  :172: weather that's approaching this weather.

Any thoughts guys?
...on an old 900  :164:

Paranoia is a survival mechanism!

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
Re: BT21/23 Comparisoin and head scratching...
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 09:59:51 am »
In my experience choosing the right tyres for you is a personal thing. There are some makes of tyre I do not get on with that others love.

I have heard both good and bad about the Bridgestones. I stick to what I know which is the PR series.

With me the Angels slipped now and again. Others on this forum loved them.

'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 11:06:01 am »
Hi Ronnie,

Slightly different compound used in the construction of the BT23, which is the replacement for the older BT21 model.

Also incorporates a new tread pattern and is supposed to give up to 30% more wear,
which may explain why they seem a bit less "sticky" than the BT21's :028:

Bridgestone Battlax BT-023 Tire Review at RevZilla.com

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 12:34:38 pm »
I tried a BT021 on the front of the ST1100 as it was marked down a lot at a local dealer.  I found it to be  a relatively rubbish tyre compared to everything else I have used.  It never felt right, and no real confidence in it, particularly in the wet.  And it wore out quite quickly, so a  bargain $50 tyre turned out to be more expensive than the replacement Pilot Road 2.

While I have not used the BT023, I know a few who have and they like it.  The GT version should be better again, but they now have a totally new tyre to replace it.

I have used a 2 sets of the Pilot Road 2s recently, got 15,0000kms plus out of them, and they are great in the wet and dry.  The PR3s are supposedly better again in the wet, but I have not used them.  I have also used Avon Storms and Ultras in the past, and they were really good too - availability is the issue in Australia.  I never had any problems with punctures and other issues that some have raised on forums.

Offline monkeycabbage

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 02:28:44 pm »

Unfortunately, in wet conditions the tyres don't seem to grip too well at all. I've read quite a few reviews for the 21s and a lot of people say that they lose confidence in them when it's wet.

I think there are well over 6k miles left in the tyres, but the way that Doris has handled over the last few days, I feel the need to get something I can trust a lot more. So BT23s and PR3s are the current options.

Offline TwoBrothersBusa

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TrophySE
  • City / Town: McDonald
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 05:35:04 pm »
Coming from a Busa, I am well versed at trying different tires.  (They eat tires...)  One thing I've found is I really don't care that much about milage, I want piece of mind or confidence in the tire I'm riding.  The BT23 is specifically a touring tire.  It gives more mileage at some expense of grip.  A hypersport tire like the BT16 gives up mileage for the added benefit of grip.  Pick your poison, Touring or Hypersport they don't make both in the same tire.  I did however determine a good mix for my riding style.  I would put a Q2 (Hypersport) tire on the front and a Roadsmart (touring) tire on the rear.  Gave me reasonable miles but with a good sticky front.

You could try the BT 23 rear / BT16 front for Bridgestone,  a Roadsmart rear / Q3 (newer) front for Dunlop, or PR3 rear / PP front for Michelin.  Using this combo gave me about 5K miles per set on the Busa.

I agree with Berber on this stuff, it is a personal decision that you have to come to terms with what works for you.  In my case, just sharing my history.
2008 Hayabusa - Gone but not forgotten
2007 GSXR 1000 - track bike
2013 Mustang GT - Street Ride
1990 CBR1000F - the old girl

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 11:58:57 pm »
I had BT20's and BT23's on my ST1300.  Happy with the handling but not the mileage...   For my use, the Pilot Road 3's last a lot longer... and I like the way they handle in dry and wet....
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2008 Kawasaki KLR650
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC

Offline monkeycabbage

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 01:52:10 pm »
Sorry for the delay in replying guys! Has been a hectic few weeks!!   :087:

Right then guys... I had a pair of Michelin PR3s fitted on a Friday morning (few weeks back) and I have to say - the difference was astonishing immediately!!  :005:

Even though it was raining heavily, and the garage I use is in the ar*e-end of no-where with a bad road to get to it, as soon as I pulled out from the garage the handling was entirely different. With the old set of tyres, I used to get a small amount of wobble/slippage when crossing the seems of tarmac even with the smallest amount of lean in the dry!  :114:

With the PR3s, they grip solidly in the wet and even without having scrubbed them in!  :086:

I had an IAM observed run on the Saturday and the weather was appalling, following the previous week's winds there was also excessive debris and the sheer amount of leaves that I've never encountered before on the roads! Needless to say, I took it very easy and never had a single moment of doubt.

Sunday (once I finally got up), took a leisurely trek to Rye and scrubbed the tyres in properly... on the way home, was taking every bend with "spirit" and enjoyed every inch of the journey!! I don't think I've ever had this much confidence in a set of tyres and can say that I was definitely pushing every bend to the safe limits whilst the bike just stuck to the road!

**I've just realised that I'm sat at my desk in the office with a huge grin on my face whilst I write this - purely from remembering the fun that I had!!**

In short, Michelin PR3s have improved the handling, given me back the confidence to really lean into the bends and are a great set of tyres to have on a tourer! I've also felt a lot happier going to work in the mornings in the pouring rain as well! I thoroughly recommend them!! :D

tweedy-bunch