Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: riding in the fog  (Read 3757 times)

Offline 2uptouring

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Bloomingdale
riding in the fog
« on: October 27, 2013, 04:23:34 pm »
Any tips for riding in the fog.  We were on the Blue Ridge Parkway at over 5400 feet in elevation  when dense fog came in we couldn't see mor than 50 feet.

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
Re: riding in the fog
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 05:00:43 pm »
Slow down, remain on dipped headlights. be prepared to stop.

Consider finding a spot to hold up until it clears.

seadog
seadog

Offline atuti

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TROPHY SE
  • City / Town: Washington DC
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 05:57:32 pm »
If the fog is the fog is really dense I would turn the "warning lights" on. :152:

Offline LongRanger

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 11:21:01 pm »
If you need to pull off the road be sure to turn off your lights and stay off the brakes to keep your brake light off. Blind drivers can see just enough to think they have drifted off their lane and pull back fast enough to rear end you. This applies to dust storms in the Southwest as well. Deaths have resulted from this.

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 10:38:43 am »
Slow down to suit the distance you can see, and if really bad turn on the hazard lights so that anyone going too fast behind can see you.  I have been in rain and hail  that has reduced visibility more than fog, and it is not a nice experience.  I have had to pull over twice in all my years due to rain, as it was just too dangerous to continue.

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 12:51:09 pm »
Go to a diner, have a coffee and wait for the fog to lift. IF that isn't possible slow down.
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

Offline Wells

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Gainesville
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 01:58:07 pm »
*Originally Posted by saaz [+]
Slow down to suit the distance you can see, and if really bad turn on the hazard lights so that anyone going too fast behind can see you.  I have been in rain and hail  that has reduced visibility more than fog, and it is not a nice experience.  I have had to pull over twice in all my years due to rain, as it was just too dangerous to continue.

Living in Florida, we don't see too much of the fog issues except early in the morning. However, when it comes to torrential downpours we are masters. If you are riding in a torrential downpour (or driving, for that matter), please, please please! Do not hit your hazard lights and then sit in the fast lane of the Interstate going 45mph!

Yes, I have seen this all too many times.

As for the fog where you can't see. Pulling over is the absolute safest thing to do. The advice of turning off your lights when pulled over (I would pull WAY over) is something I had never thought of, but it excellent advice IMHO.
Other Bikes:
Honda 919
Honda CB750A Hondamatic

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 02:45:19 pm »
Obviously different countries have different laws. Riding in the UK or whilst moving is an offence to have hazard warning lights on. You should be stationary.

But I do agree with the last post. Riding or driving in low visibility with hazards on could send a wrong signal to other road users and compound the danger.

If you intend to stop get as far off the road as possible or a lay by.

Your Safety is your responsibility and assume everyone else is an idiot.

seadog
seadog

tweedy-bunch