Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: New SE quits completely  (Read 10669 times)

Offline racsw

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Rochester
New SE quits completely
« on: October 31, 2013, 06:39:51 pm »
Hi Guys,
I joined this forum for now, primarily for asking any members about a recurring problem on a new 2013 SE.

When I come to a stop after riding in 6th gear occasionally, I'll downshift normally, use a little engine braking, while lightly applying front and rear brakes.  Normally when this happens, I'm in 4th gear, but it's happens in 3rd also.  No panic stops, just normal, coordinated stop from 60 - 65 mph.   The bike will die completely, engine and electrical, just as if I turned off the key. (clutch in momentarily while I get into 4th gear, brakes lightly applied)

When I first looked at the bike, I took it for a 3 mile test drive with the service manager on his own bike.  It died coming up to a stop three times (3rd gear mostly).  When we got back, I told this to the SM, and he replied that I probably was not used to the bike and caused this myself.  I'm 64, been riding since I was 17, but hey, I said it's possible I suppose, but I don't think so.
So I buy the bike, and end up with four major issues, including more engine and electrical quits.  In fact, when I picked it up, it died coming up to the toll booth again in 4th gear.   Bluetooth , radio, everything quits including the engine in every case.  Clutch pulled in, hit the Start button, and it restarts fine, even while rolling.

I called him and told him whenever it died, which was about another 5 - 6 times.  He tried and to this day, has not been able to duplicate this, but all his rides are short.
I took it to PA and back, about 700 miles, and it died once on the way down, once on the way back.

So because there were other issues besides this, Triumph sends a complete wiring harness from England, Air freight.
The Dealer installs it, fixes the very major vibration issue, and asks me to come down and test ride it.
I do this, and verify the vibration has been successfully repaired, but on the way back, the damn thing quits again coming to a stop light.

The SM takes it for a 20 mile ride, and still can't make it fail.  I have intentionally tried to make it fail, and I can't.  It always does it when coming to a stop, always in either 3rd or most commonly, 4th gear.  Now we know the wiring harness was not the answer.

However, this has become a bone of contention.   The dealer knows me and my experience, and believes me 100%.  But he is doing his best to try and find the right combination of speed, brakes, throttle, clutch that will bring on this failure, and he can't find it.  But when dealing with Triumph, they are saying that unless the dealer can replicate the problem, as far as they are concerned, it doesn't exist.  I guess that means I'm lying.
But it's been frustrating, and I understand the SM's position.

Has any of you run into this, and figured out what it was?    :187:

Thanks,
Robert

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: New SE quits completely
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 06:51:08 pm »
Hmmmm.... an interesting one.... Not heard of anyone in here with something like that.... closest would be the issue some guys have had in here with the Throttle Position Sensor.... do a search for TPS failures and read through but it isn't an exact match to your symptoms.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Roger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Kent
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 06:53:30 pm »
Hi racsw

Before buying my TT I test rode a demo for half a day it had only covered 350 miles and that cut out two or three times thankfully mine doesn't. I'm pretty sure that the new software update sought's out this problem but you would think they would have updated the software when they changed the loomb unless it was changed before the update which I think came out about three weeks ago.

I wish you the best of luck with the problem

Roger

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 08:12:35 pm »
If it were not for the fact it only occurs when you are shifting in 3rd or 4th I'd think it was the TPS.  That problem is typified by a bike running along at regular throttle and the bike suddenly dying.  I've not heard anyone mention the problem occurring when shifting.  The other contra-indicator against the TPS problem is that it doesn't happen with predictability

Wild, wild thought here but I'm wondering if it could be related to the switch which senses the kickstand position or to the shift sensor.  Not likely but...
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 10:09:02 pm »
I really hope you sort this out. That is just dangerous. The fact the SM rides it and it doesn't happen simply compounds the problem.

Fingers crossed you have it resolved soon.
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 10:10:27 pm »
It does sound more likely to be one of the micro switches for clutch, side stand or neutral indicator....
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Desertaire

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: El Paso TX
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 10:58:30 pm »
You said your engine braking...do you think it could somehow be related to that? And maybe your SM is not using engine braking and simply holding the clutch in as he shifts down to first. Just a thought.

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 01:13:09 pm »
I think the instant a dealer points his finger at YOU and says YOU are causing the issue, when you know you are not, it's time to find a new dealer..    My local area, we have 3 local cycle dealers, but I wouldn't take a lawn mower to them, let alone my bike...   
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2008 Kawasaki KLR650
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC

tweedy-bunch