Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Trophy H4s - normal or high efficiency bulbs?  (Read 1668 times)

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
Trophy H4s - normal or high efficiency bulbs?
« on: November 06, 2013, 03:45:34 AM »
Has anyone compared the Trophy H4s to the +50 or more bulbs available?  While the Trophy lights seem good for a bike, I am hoping that an upgraded in the bulbs to +50 or better might mean I have no need to add on any driving lights.  I intend to keep the same power rating 60/55 as the plastic lenses and reflectors might not like more power.

I recently went back the H4 60/55 +50 bulbs in the ST1100, and they compare very favourably to 35W HIDs - better beam pattern, decent spread, adequate penetration, but I use 55W HID driving lights to fix any problems.

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
Re: Trophy H4s - normal or high efficiency bulbs?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 11:59:46 AM »
I am not sure HIDs achieve much more visiblility than the H4s. i am commuting in the dark now and find the bulbs that I have are more than adequate for the job.

In the stowage box I carry a set of Osrams just in case a bulb blows.
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
Re: Trophy H4s - normal or high efficiency bulbs?
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 10:25:50 PM »
I have been reading your night commuting comments, so thanks.

The HIDs definitely put out more light (I have even tried H4 70W HIDs) but unless the lenses is designed for it there is light wastage as the beam pattern is not as defined.  The light tends to scatter the higher you go in power. I don't really want to mess around with installing HIDs, as I want the Trophy to  relatively standard where possible, if you can call an SE Trophy standard!

I am more interested in night time riding doing distances in the country, with the need to pick up kangaroos, emus, goats, cattle, camels, wombats etc etc while doing 100kph or more.  So penetration and spread are the key.  The higher efficiency bulbs supposed give more of both over standard bulbs, and from my experience do work. As the standard lights seem very good for a bike, some +50s should give more light and bulb life.  I will give the standard bulbs a decent try first as they may well have more light than standard bulbs to start with.

tweedy-bunch