Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: 500 miles service questions (in the USA).  (Read 10079 times)

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
500 miles service questions (in the USA).
« on: November 09, 2013, 03:42:41 am »
I have eight  main questions about the 500 mile service . . . Here in the USA.

1. I believe I once heard that in the USA if we do the 500 mile service ourselves, by federal law, it will NOT void the warranty even if the owner's manual says otherwise. Is this true?

2. Do they do anything in the 500 mile service besides engine oil change and shaft drive oil change?

3. If above is true, how do they justify their $300.00 charge?

4. IIRC, the owner's manual says 500 miles or one month. What if I only have 250 miles on the new bike in a month? Should I change oils then anyway?

5. What type of engine oil are most here using? Full synthetic or half? Any particular brand? Any type to avoid?

6. Same question as above on the drive shaft  oil.

7. If there a service warning that comes on at 500 miles?  I have a DealerTool on order from England.  Is that how it's reset?

8. Also, my heated grips won't show on the display, will the dealer tool take care of that too?

BTW, it could now take me months to get 500 miles on my new TTSE. I live in two different houses around 250 miles apart and when we figure in snow season and such, it could be a while, and the one month might pass.  I do have around 250 miles on my TTSE  now, but I cannot be sure when I will be in Reno again, where my TTSE is garaged.

Any other info will be well appreciated too, thanks!

-Don-  SSF, CA
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: 500 miles service questions (in the USA).
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 09:10:42 am »
Hi,

I can help with a few of these :

1. .... sorry, no knowledge of U.S. law.

2.  Pages 117 - 119 of the ( UK ) Owners Manual has a list
of items carried out at the first and subsequent services.
In addition to changing Engine Oil & Filter, and Final Drive Oil replacement,
The Fuel filter is replaced and there are quite a few checks / adjustments on the list.

3. As above !

5. My dealer uses Castrol fully synthetic for engine oil,
although the Handbook says Semi synthetic can be used.

6. The manual states that only fully synthetic oil should be used for the final drive.

7. Don't know for sure if there is a 500 Mile Service warning light,
but if there is, I'm pretty sure that Dealer Tool will reset it.

8. The Heated Grips symbol should display when you switch the grips on,
and appears bottom left of the instrument display - engine running.
The symbol disappears a few seconds after switching off the grips.
If the symbol is not displayed it will have to be enabled by a Triumph dealer,
the Dealer Tool WILL NOT perform this task.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 11:09:52 am »
Thanks for all the info., Coconut

To all:
Has anybody here done their own 500 mile service?

*Originally Posted by Coconut [+]
If the symbol is not displayed it will have to be enabled by a Triumph dealer, the Dealer Tool WILL NOT perform this task.
What does the dealer do/use  to activate  the heated grip symbols?

It's not a big deal, it's pretty obvious when it's on anyway.

-Don-  SSF, CA
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 11:35:22 am »
They have Triumph provided management software on the computers they plug into the data port. The dealer tool is mainly just a fault code reader.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 01:47:35 pm »
*Originally Posted by cropbiker [+]
They have Triumph provided management software on the computers they plug into the data port. The dealer tool is mainly just a fault code reader.
OIC. Am I correct to assume only the dealers can get the required software?

-Don-   SSF, CA

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 02:25:33 pm »
That's correct - only authorized Triumph Dealers are provided with it.

The Dealer tool is not the same, it is a useful device, and can complete some operations,
such as opening the ABS valve for bleeding, resetting service intervals,
and a couple of other tasks that I can't recall right now but,
as Cropbiker says, it's mainly a fault code reader and information display / checking tool  :169:

« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 06:19:15 pm by Coconut »

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 06:03:59 pm »
1. I was told I could do my own maintenance by the dealer, but I always take a new bike in for the 1st service...  Down the line I'll do my own checks, but bring the bike in at least annually to be checked by their scanner and software upgrades if available.

2. That about it, and put it on the analyzer.  My dealer did NOT change the fuel filter, it was not required by the service task list they were supplied by Triumph.  Cost was $189.   The software was upgraded.

4. Guess I'd ride it more. I had 500 miles on in 3 days... (:>   Oil should definitely be changed before storing for winter, if you are doing so.

5. I use the Castrol full synth T recommends.

6. Same answer

7. I didn't get one

8. There is a plug that needs to be replaced and the display has to be enabled by the dealer using their analyzer.
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2008 Kawasaki KLR650
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 06:13:18 am »
*Originally Posted by janfmiller [+]
1. I was told I could do my own maintenance by the dealer, but I always take a new bike in for the 1st service...
Yeah, that is what I am going to do  too because my bike has to be there anyway, for the GPS mount install, heated seat install and for the info to show on the display as it should. That will be tomorrow.

Today, I rode it for 245 miles. By the time I bring it to the dealer tomorrow, it will have just over 500 miles on it.

I rode it until the "low fuel" warning came on, starting with a full tank. From Reno, I first went here and then down to Lake Topaz before coming back here to Reno.

When the "low fuel" light came on, I rode another 15 miles or so and filled up the tank.

I used 4.1 gallons for today's 245 mile ride. That's just under 60 MPG!  To be exact, 59.756 MPG! Is that really possible? The bike ain't even fully broken in yet.  The bike still has the break-in oil and it was all types of riding, mountains, freeway uphill, downhill, wind, everything. But mostly slow speeds in the mountains. What great scenery this trip had over Monitor Pass and such too.
2. That about it, and put it on the analyzer.  My dealer did NOT change the fuel filter, it was not required by the service task list they were supplied by Triumph.  Cost was $189.   The software was upgraded.
Do you know if they changed the rear drive lube? I saw a message in this forum claim that most dealers are only checking it, not changing it, despite what the book calls for.
4. Guess I'd ride it more. I had 500 miles on in 3 days...
I too only rode for three days so far. Two and a half to be exact, to get my 500 miles on the bike. This home is NOT my primary residence, so I only had a few days in the last week to ride. I keep the bike here. BTW, I could get the 500 miles on one round trip between my houses. But I have a doggy here too, that I must take with me, which I never trained to ride on motorcycles. But I know some riders have!

Thanks for all the info.

-Don-  Reno, NV