Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Potential New Owner  (Read 3175 times)

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Grand Cane, LA
Potential New Owner
« on: November 11, 2013, 02:28:25 pm »
Hi, my name is Ernie and I just joined the site, but am not an actual Trophy owner yet! I'm from Louisiana and I test rode one about a couple of days ago and now kind of have the fever. I've never ridden a sport touring bike. These things are phenomenal! I have been riding a Victory Vision for the last 5 years and even though the 2 bikes have basically the same weather protection, the Trophy definitely has all around of power. So I have some questions for some of you guys who may have come from a V-twin to a Trophy about some of the pros and cons about the switchover. I already know that I'm going to have to order the tall seat for I'm 6' with a 34" inseam and my legs seem a little cramped.
1. Do they make any kind of handlebar risers to raise the bars about an inch or so?
2. Is the tour windshield that much more effective?
3. How good are the heated grips? Have them on my Vision and even with thick gloves they work fairly well.
4. Any accessories that are a must for long rides? When I go on trips, it is usually 600 to 700 miles a day for 7 days or more.
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Roger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Kent
Re: Potential New Owner
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 03:00:13 pm »
Hi Ernie

Welcome, there are some interesting and knowledgeable people on this forum and me. I pretty sure there are some members that have had a Victory so they will be more accurate with comparisons, but I will answer as best I can

1. I don't think that handle bar risers are available yet
2. I didn't like the weather protection and noise levels on the standard screen so I bought the medium Calsci screen which does a good job.
3. The heated grips are very good Ive only had to use them on the first setting so far, but they are good.
4. I find the comfort of the bike good, in the UK we have the standard seat not the low one as you have over there so as you suggested that would be a good place to start, I got the heated version and again it is very effective, not sure what else you would need for long journeys as that what the bike is built for.

Hope you enjoy the bike if you do get one, ps don't forget silver is best !

Roger

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 03:49:10 pm »
 :400: welcome Ernie, cannot give you elements to compare with the Victory. However can give you my personal opinion on two items:
  • I got the larger windshield and can assure you that the protection is really effective
  • Took also the heating grips and they are just great
Hope you will make the step and join the community of Trophy riders  :821:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 03:54:55 pm by Verdun95 »
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline enGage

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Grand Rapids
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 03:52:38 pm »
I came from a Thunderbird - not a V-twin, but a cruiser.

I always saw myself on a sport-touring bike, but I started riding at 50 and my knees aren't great so I found myself on a cruiser instead.  However, I find the Trophy very relaxed - relaxed enough that I made the switch.  I suspect many folks on the Thunderbird site think I'm crazy, but I've always preferred refinement in my vehicles and take function over form any day.  To this end, the bike handles better, has more power a much smoother engine and a bunch of bells and whistles.

• I ordered the comfort seat (which is of the tall variety) and I added 1/2 inch to the base the seat sits on (I have a picture on another post)
  • I like the stock screen.  Most reviews of the bike state that the stock screen is the best they have experienced and I agree
  • I have the heated grips (and installed them myself).  They work fine and I've used them a lot

I miss my Thunderbird only in the sense that I had a lot of great memories on the bike.  If I could justify keeping it I would, but I would roll the TT out of the garage most of the time.  There is one exception to that statement - the TT really has good wind protection making it a very warm bike to ride during hot weather.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 03:54:23 pm by enGage »

Offline Roger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Kent
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 05:22:44 pm »
Hi Ernie

This demonstrates how good the forum is, I expect you have now noticed that Fireman73163 has just posted that handle bar risers will be available from one supplier next month from a firm called GenMar his post is in the Accessories and Products part of the forum.

Roger

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 02:30:52 am »
Welcome to the Forum :400:  Personally  I don't think the bike would benefit from risers.  I think it fine the way it is.  I've found the heated g rips and seat to be very good.  In fact I found the bike equipped as a launch model is to be the ideal setup. 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Grand Cane, LA
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 03:12:04 am »
Thanks for the replies! w8d4it, did the launch options only come on some of the '13s? I asked the dealership about that and he said none of his came with that package. I think with the taller seat, I would need the risers to get the handlebars back into the same position as they are now with the low seat on the bike I test rode.
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 03:52:20 am »
The Launch model was a limited edition that came with every option pre-installed plus the top box.  And it came at a reduced price.  Even though no longer available as a package you can still order components individually.  Also I'm assuming you know the seat is adjustable with both a high and low position?
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

tweedy-bunch