Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: cruise control vs. throttle hold  (Read 14920 times)

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
cruise control vs. throttle hold
« on: November 15, 2013, 08:24:52 am »
One thing I strongly dislike about many bikes is the throttle return spring. My 1971 BMW has a stock adjustment for that, so it can be adjusted to not return. My 84 Venture has no cruise control but has an after-market  adjustable throttle stop. I normally adjust them tight, so the throttle stays right where I leave it.

If I had my choice, I would junk the cruise control on my new TTSE and replace it with a ten dollar throttle hold which  I like much better on any motorcycle.

However, if I could get the throttle to hold on the TTSE, I will then even be happy with the cruise control. A throttle hold  will make it a lot easier to set the cruise control, in case I did want to use the cruise control. But with a working throttle hold, I would probably find no reason to ever even use the cruise control.

Is there a way so the TTSE throttle will stay where I put it, with an after-market thingie or otherwise?

-Don-  Reno, NV

1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
Re: cruise control vs. throttle hold
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 11:46:38 am »
I suppose one could be made to work, there are plenty of different ones out there.  It should be a matter of sizing up the throttle body against other bikes out there - do any other Triumph models have similar dimensions?

But one of the reasons I went for the Trophy was that it had a proper cruise control.  I have have used one in cars for years, and have an McCruise on the Honda ST1100.  I suppose I have just gotten used to the throttle not doing anything and the cruise doing the work, so I have the hand resting on the throttle to allow the cruise to work.  A simple throttle lock just would not work in all the situations I use a cruise control in.

The TTSE cruise works very much like I have gotten used to over the last 5 years or so, and I would probably make the same comment about having to put up with a throttle lock!.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 12:23:27 pm »
I've used the $10 lever on my Thruxton and my Sprint.  It works but not nearly as well as the cruise on my Trophy.  I know others have complained about the cruise but as for me I quite like it.  Mine works very well.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 03:15:00 pm »
I agree... the cruise control is great..... I have never used a bike cruise control before but have had cruise control on cars for years and use it all the time. Took a little getting used to with cruise control on a bike and I don't use it as frequently as I use the car one... but in the right circumstances it is great.

I have used throttle locks in the past and they just do not install confidence.... you speed up and slow down as the gradient of the road changes and that catches you and other riders motorists out and you are constantly fiddling with it.

Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Roger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Kent
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 05:54:44 pm »
Its the first time I have had cruise control on a bike, I found it a bit bit clumsy at first but find I use it more and more even through high streets at 30 mph if not going up hill, I leave the button in all the time and set the button when needed, its a yes from me !

Roger

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 07:52:24 pm »
I like the cruise on the bike although it isn't a patch on the version on the fly by wire Harley Ultra I came off. It feels like it take a few seconds to react to the different gradients in the road giving it a slight jerky feel  :087: :087:
The best 2 ways that I've found of setting it is 1) Slightly over accelerate then set on the over run. 2) Set as close to the desired speed as poss then adjust with the +/- switch. Any cruise control takes time to get use to even getting a smooth transition from cruise back to normal throttle opperation  :087: :087:.
But during the 400 mile + days believe me it is a god send and to get the best fuel economy I use it at every opportune moment.

Just my opinion but a little practice makes a whole world of difference  :028: :028:

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 12:06:53 am »
When i said i used the $10 control I should have clarified that I meant
http://crampbuster.com/
I don't use throttle locks
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 12:16:41 am »
I never thought much about cruise control. I had a crampbuster and I thought it worked fine.
Now that I have cruise control I love it. Heck I can plug a blender into the 12 volt socket in the front and make frozen margaritas on the fly!
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

tweedy-bunch