Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: The Triumph GPS mount  (Read 10443 times)

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
The Triumph GPS mount
« on: November 16, 2013, 02:07:31 AM »
I just got back from the dealer (who is now closed) and had the tall heated seat installed, my 500 mile service and a GPS mount installed.

After I rode home, I took a look at the GPS mount and I see no power cable. I see a small black cable that looks like it goes to a black square thing on a plate behind the GPS mount to under the GPS mount, perhaps to below the faring.  Is that a GPS antenna or what? Perhaps capacitance coupled to the GPS?

But how does the GPS (I don't have the GPS unit yet) get powered? Do I have a power cable missing or hidden somewhere or what? Or do they expect it to run on it's own batteries or what?

And any advice on what type of GPS unit I should buy for my mount?

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Triumph GPS mount
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 02:43:04 AM »
This thread has some information https://www.triumph-trophy.com/index.php/topic,1338.0.html
A specific Triumph cable can be used, which provides clean power and takes the audio from a sat nav into the Triumph audio system.  The black square thing is, I think, for mounting an XM antenna for the US market

I happen to already have a Zumo 660 for which the bracket was designed (the zumo cradle bolts stratight on, and its wiring plugs into the Triumph accessory cable), but in the sat nav thread there are others adapted to fit on the bracket, with various power and audio options.

Have fun reading and deciding!

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 03:18:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by saaz [+]
This thread has some information https://www.triumph-trophy.com/index.php/topic,1338.0.html
A specific Triumph cable can be used, which provides clean power and takes the audio from a sat nav into the Triumph audio system.  The black square thing is, I think, for mounting an XM antenna for the US market

I happen to already have a Zumo 660 for which the bracket was designed (the zumo cradle bolts stratight on, and its wiring plugs into the Triumph accessory cable), but in the sat nav thread there are others adapted to fit on the bracket, with various power and audio options.

Have fun reading and deciding!
Is the XM antenna simply moved o the GPS bracket because it's a better satellite receive location or is there some other reason?

I was expecting the GPS wiring to be installed at the dealer. I was thinking all I would have to do is mount the GPS unit and plug in a plug. I see it's more complicated than that! How does the GPS power wires get to the GPS without drilling holes in the new bike's faring?

I guess that Zumo 660 is the most common unit used for this bracket, as I have seen it mentioned here before.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 03:30:38 AM »
From what I can gather, the wire is fed through the bracket.  There should be space where a cover (the finisher) has been fitted where the bracket goes into the bodywork.  I have the fitting instructions if you can't find the download.

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 07:21:44 AM »
The wire to the satnav on the SE is under the fairing below the left hand indicator tied with a velcro strap to the fairing frame. Unfortunately this is not the case on the standard so I have had to pick up an ignition feed from the rear of the bike. If you check the mount carefully there is a groove in the centre and that is where the cable passes through. You will have to disassemble the whole thing again to mount the device  :087: :087:
If you are taking it back to the dealer make sure you provide them with everything so they are able to install the whole thing for you  :028: :028:

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 10:27:22 AM »
I guess the problem is that the power cable comes with the GPS, not the mount.  I didn't think about that when they installed the GPS mount.  I was mistakenly thinking a GPS would be all ready to be mounted with power and all.

BTW, what type of power connector is on the Zumo 660?  Is it a mini-USB or what?  And I assume the 660 has a battery. So as long as I keep it charged, it should work until I get around to running the wires, right?

And why is the XM radio antenna mounted on it?

-Don-  back in SSF, CA

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 10:35:29 AM »
As everyone else says, the Triumph GPS mount is designed for the cables to pass through the centre of it.

Wouldn't it be nice if Triumph dealers advised their customers of this when ordering,
to save having to strip the whole front of the bike down again once the recommended Garmin 660
( or whatever ) has been purchased, as the wiring loom comes with the Garmin kit, not the Triumph mount !

There are two connections to be made, one for power, and one for audio input from the Garmin loom
to the Trophy audio system, and there are dedicated connections for these below and behind the left hand mirror pod.

You also need the Triumph accessory wiring kit which plugs directly into the dedicated Triumph power socket
making it a "clean" ( interference free ) supply, and then the Garmin power wires are connected to that.

My post #2 in the topic posted and linked to by DonTom, has Photo's of the location of the sockets
after removal of the Fairing, plus other useful information  :028:

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 11:01:50 AM »
The Garmin 660 has a removable Li-ion battery that is kept charged up when installed on the bike, and the ignition is on.

The back of the Garmin 660 has a connector port that locates with the mounting cradle / wiring harness -
it simply clicks into place, and there is a release button to remove it again. 
All connections are made when the 660 is clipped onto the cradle.

The Garmin wiring harness has two bare wires ( red and black for positive and negative )
which are connected to the Trophy via the wiring accessory cable A9938122 and using an in-line fuse.

The audio output from the Garmin wiring harness is a standard 3.5mm jack socket,
into which the Trophy's 3.5mm jack plug is inserted.
( NOTE : Some Triumph dealers are unaware of the existence of these connectors and need to be told about them !
Several owners have had their bike back after a dealer install only to find they have no GPS audio,
because the connection has not neen made ! )

It's recommended to get that connection taped up to prevent it shaking loose,
and then loop the power wire with the in line fuse into the back of the left hand mirror pod,
so that it is accessible should the fuse ever blow, rather than being buried away
and taped onto the main wiring harness under the fairing  :028:

For the US market the Bracket is different and incorporates a plate for mounting the XM antenna onto it.
I think it has to be removed from the original installation location and replaced onto the bracket,
but I'm not 100% not sure about that as we don't have XM in the UK.

Here is a link to the installation instructions for the Sat Nav mount ( file too large to attach ),
A9828011 Installation Instructions
and a copy of the instructions for the Wiring accessory is attached, both of which will explain more  :028:

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 10:46:25 AM by Coconut »

tweedy-bunch