Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: GPS-Zumo 660 question.  (Read 11120 times)

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
GPS-Zumo 660 question.
« on: November 16, 2013, 11:31:07 pm »
I am shopping for a Zumo 660, but are they all the same or not?

For one example, I see one that says for Harley's here. Will that also be the same as any other 660 or not?

-Don-  SSF, CFA
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
Re: GPS-Zumo 660 question.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 07:45:44 am »
All the same dude.
I use the Harley Road Tech IE: Zumo660.
The difference is that it contains the Harley dealers added to POA's
I also have a Zumo550 which is another great unit to consider  :028: :028:

I cannot comment on other makes as Garmin is the only product I've ever used and to date they have been superb.

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 08:10:41 am »
*Originally Posted by Chaos [+]
All the same dude.
I use the Harley Road Tech IE: Zumo660.
The difference is that it contains the Harley dealers added to POA's
I also have a Zumo550 which is another great unit to consider  :028: :028:

I cannot comment on other makes as Garmin is the only product I've ever used and to date they have been superb.

Chaos
Thanks for the info! But what are the main differences between the 550 and 660? Is there any preference between one and the other on the TTSE?

-Don-  SSF, CA
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 08:16:06 am »
Screen size is the main difference.. The older 550 is a 3.5" screen I think and the 660  4.3".

It is also considerably thinner.

The 660 uses a micro SD card and you have to remove the rear panel to get at the card and to insert a USB cable to connect to a computer for updates. The 550 has a much more user friendly flap on the bottom to access the memory card which is a standard SD card and to plug in the USB cable.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 08:29:04 am »
As CB has stated the mount was deigned with the 660 in mind.
As well has being thinner it is a lot lighter vibrates a lot less while in motion and fits the mount correctly. If you use the 550 the best way is to mount using 2 fasteners in the lower holes of the back plate and the top holes of the mounting bracket or the lower part of the sat nav will intrude into the vision of the LED part of the dash.
Has I stated I have both and have mounted both on the Triumph supplied bracket and if this is the way you intend to go I would recommend the 660  :028: :028:

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 01:41:23 am »
Both are XM compatiable and the antennas are different.  550 is about the size of a hockey puck and 660 is much smaller.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 05:13:04 am »
I just received my Garmin Zumo 660LM a couple of hours ago. I have it connected to this computer now as I am typing this, getting the latest updates.

A lot of stuff comes with it. But my special TTSE cables have not come in yet.

I assume the Garmin cable I use is the more complicated one with the connections for the audio, mic, power, traffic receiver, etc. Do all these get connected somewhere in my TTSE? And how much work is it? How long will it take to do a full install? Does part of the fairing have to come off and such?

I will probably start this project next week, as I am 225 miles away from my TTSE.

-Don-  SSF, CA

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 08:12:56 am »
Hi Don,

The  rectangular shaped Sat Nav cradle with the wires coming out of it fits onto the Triumph Sat Nav bracket.
( You already have the details of the bracket installation : Triumph Trophy GPS Mount )

The front of the bike has to be dismantled quite extensively to fit the Bracket ( so I entrusted that task to my Dealer ).

The wires coming from the Garmin Sat Nav cradle are Power, Audio Out, and external Microphone.
The microphone connection is not used.

The wires from the Garmin cradle are routed down and through the Triumph GPS Bracket,
so it is best to get both installed at the same time.

The Power and Audio wirees are connected to a dedicated power socket and audio plug,
which are both located behind and elow the left hand mirror pod.
The power connection uses a Triumph accessory connector kit, so it can plug straight in,
and I assume this is the part you are still waiting for.

Some Forum members have managed to access the Power and Audio connections
by just dismantiling the Mirror pod assembly, but this can be quite fiddly,
and you may find it easier to remove the complete side fairing -
With the fairing off, you can then also check other stuff like coolant hose clamps
which some members  have found to be loose causing occasional leaks  :169:

Instructions on removing the fairing if you need them are over in the "How to Remove Fairing ...... " thread,
and more information with Photo's showing the location of the Power and Audio connections are here :
Power Connection for GPS

As mentioned previously elsewhere, it is a good idea to tape up the Audio connection once plugged in,
so it can never shake loose, and route the Power wire In-Line fuse into the left hand mirror pod,
so the fuse can easily be accessed if it should ever "blow", rather than
leaving it taped to the Main harness - buried away behnd the fairing and inaccessible !

Regards,