Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Radio  (Read 1878 times)

Offline rchollebon

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trothy SEE
  • City / Town: Twickenham
Radio
« on: November 18, 2013, 03:23:46 PM »
On my mission to get clear radio reception I have discovered the aerial makes no difference, I can see it is connected at the Aerial albeit strangely, does any one know where it plugs/joins the radio? Always like to fix these things as my dealer is 60 miles away!   

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Radio
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 10:36:02 AM »
Hi,

I can't give you a full answer, as I haven't dismantled the front of my bike that far,
( yet ) but there are a few things you can check :

The radio is directly underneath the storage box under the riders seat.
Remove the four small "Torx" screws and lift the storage box out -
you will see the aerial cable plugged into the top of the radio module -
it is a simple push fit into the socket - make sure it is fully inserted.

Below the aerial and behind the upper side cowling, there is an earthing eyelet
attached to one of the body mounting screws -
make sure it is clean and tight with a good path to earth. ( See attached Photo - eyelet is circled ).
NOTE : Refer to the main "How to Remove fairing ... etc " post, Para's 11, 12 & 13,
if you need information on how to remove the indicator and upper side cowl.

There is another connection somewhere behind the headlamp where the "Antenna Flylead"
plugs into the main audio harness - this is the one I haven't accessed yet to check it is a good connection.

See attached images of the Antenna Flylead, and the radio end of the main audio harness,
which shows the Antenna cable ( circled ) entering the main audio harness.

Hope these help - I seem to have the same issue in that removing the antenna
does not have a significant effect on the quality of radio reception, which is not particularly good !

« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 10:37:57 AM by Coconut »

Offline rchollebon

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 11:06:03 PM »
Yup you are on the same trail as me, I found the radio today, also noticed there is a spare plug in there, I presume it is something to do with the US model, I stripped the aerial down and played around a bit, I have come to same conclusion as you, ie there is another connection tucked away, thanks for the diagram as at least I now know I am on the right path. I will post if I work it out before you do, however I have a pretty busy week so will not get a chance to look until the weekend. I am wondering if I disturbed something when I fitted the sat nav mount

Offline rchollebon

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 11:13:28 PM »
Just zoomed in on your diagram and the spare plug is shown on the far left and is yellow in colour.

Offline rchollebon

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 03:19:44 PM »
Ok decided that the best way forward would be to measure resistance from the aerial to the radio which reads 0.16 ohms for both sides which seems about right to me, so I guess it is back to the dealers to sort out

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 02:27:39 PM »
Are there any radio engineers out there?  the aerial looks to me like a ground plane antenna and byt terminating the shield at the aerial end to just chassis ground where there is only plastic under the aerial is not good.  I haven't tried to add metal somehow under the aerial but it is difficult to get anything in even just to test behind the mirror.  Havign said that apart from when Traffic kicks in I do not listen to the radio (just Ipod and sat nav)

tweedy-bunch