Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Anyone going to do the 20K service on their own?  (Read 9325 times)

Offline afterburner

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 triumph trophy
  • City / Town: long beach, ca
Anyone going to do the 20K service on their own?
« on: November 21, 2013, 04:30:21 AM »
anyone going to the the 20K service on their own?

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
Re: Anyone going to do the 20K service on their own?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 05:14:08 AM »
*Originally Posted by afterburner [+]
anyone going to the the 20K service on their own?
I am sure that I will, but that's a long way off for me. I just got my 500 mile service done. BTW, I would have done that myself too, but the bike was in the shop already for other stuff that came with the deal, so I let them do it all.

Otherwise, I normally do my own vehicle work, where possible. I better, I own a dozen motor vehicles, all running well.

-Don-  SSF, CA

1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 05:54:23 AM »
For the first two years I will get it done at the dealer (warranty period) but after that I will do all my own work.  From time to time various updates will probably be needed as tunes change and firmware updates become available.  If I could sign up somewhere for notifications I would.  I expect I will have done 80,000 to 100,000kms in the next two years.

Offline Papermaker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Custer, WI.
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 11:49:32 AM »
I think that you can do most of the service your self but there were some special tools required at the 500 mile check.  I haven't check the manual but the 20K probably calls for a valve clearance check.  If so, you may need shims.  I guess you could calculate each valve's clearance and order them but there's the possibility that you'll need 12 shims.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 11:59:09 AM »
*Originally Posted by Papermaker [+]
I think that you can do most of the service your self but there were some special tools required at the 500 mile check. 
What special tools do they use at the 500 mile check?
I guess you could calculate each valve's clearance and order them but there's the possibility that you'll need 12 shims.
I've done the shims before on my 1984 Venture. Since 1984, I only changed two and even they they were so close I really didn't even have to do that. I hope the TTSE does as well with the shims. But just checking them is the more difficult part.

-Don-  SSF, CA
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline Papermaker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Custer, WI.
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 12:29:07 PM »
I did the 500 mile check and found that there were a couple of special tools needed.  I had/made some of them and from what I remember there are a couple of saddlebag alignment tools that you could also make or borrow from the dealer.  I don't know what's required at the 10K and 20K mile checks.  I'll check into the tools needed then.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 12:45:15 PM »
I did the 500 mile check and found that there were a couple of special tools needed.  I had/made some of them and from what I remember there are a couple of saddlebag alignment tools that you could also make or borrow from the dealer.  I don't know what's required at the 10K and 20K mile checks.  I'll check into the tools needed then.
I've always wondered if the dealer will do as much as the book says they should do. You probably checked more than a dealer would have during a 500 mile check.

But I let the dealer do mine anyway, since the bike was in there for installation for other stuff that came in right at the same time as my 500 miles.

But I kinda wish I did it all,  just to help get familiar with the bike some.  But  I soon will, just a little, when  I wire in my new 660 GPS and new horns and relay, And will wire my horn to work even without the key being in, just as I have with all my other bikes.

-Don-  SSF, CA

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 02:02:04 PM »
I do all the service on my bikes so at this point I plan to do that myself.  Once a few bikes get to that point and we see what problems pop up and depending on dealer charge, I may have it done.

What type of shim arrangement is in the Trophy?  I've replaced shim over bucket and they are easy.  Shim under bucket not so much.  You have to remove the cam in the Gold Wing to replace the shim and although it is an SOHC head, it is still tedious.  Luckily that bike doesn't require much valve adjustment even when you put big miles on the motor.