Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Trophy buying ???  (Read 5304 times)

Offline bloodbiker

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Silver Trophy
  • City / Town: hinckley ish
Trophy buying ???
« on: November 24, 2013, 12:48:14 PM »
Hi all :158: :158:

I am thinking of buying a second hand Trophy SE launch model from a main dealer. Ex demo bike then sold on to a private buyer who has since bought a new one. 62 plate 5500 miles full kit IE heated grips, heated seats, touring screen topbox, etc etc.
It has been dropped and suffered minor scratches to the offside but have been told by the dealer that they will repair/replace all damaged panels if i buy the bike, will fit two new tyres and send it off to Hinckley for engine repair (if needed) again before buying as well as service and taxing bike.
All for £11800.

Questions......

To good to be true ???
Anything i should look out for when test riding the Trophy ???
All comments and advice welcome

Thanks in advance the beers are on me  :821: :821: :821: :821: :821: :821: :821:

Offline Wscad

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Yorkshire
Re: Trophy buying ???
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 01:13:19 PM »
To buy that bike new, with that spec you are looking at over £15K.

I think you are getting a lot of bike for that money.

If it's a blue one, buy it.
If it's silver, offer £10K :002:

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 02:10:35 PM »
Wscad you naughty Yorkshire lad -  :192:
I thought there had been a "Gentleman's agreement" to stop knocking
either of the fantastic colours of the even more fantastic Trophy !

bloodbiker,

In case you didn't know, there is a lot of "friendly" banter about the 2 different colours,
but in reality both are simply superb !

WHICHEVER colour it is, that sounds like a really good deal  :169:

Things to look for on a Test ride include :

Front wheel wobble, especially when holding the bars lightly and decellerating from 50 MPH.
It seems that a number of bikes didn't get the front wheel balancing correct when they left the factory,
and this shows up as a wobble / shaking of the bars as described -
It's real easy for the dealer to fix by balancing the wheel properly !

Ask the dealer for confirmation of exactly what was done on the first 500 mile service,
in particular to ensure that the final drive shaft oil was replaced -
This is the only time that the service schedule requires it to be replaced,
and there have been reports on early bikes, such as your "Launch model" where this was missed.

Another problem to look out for is any sign at all of the engine cutting out,
particularly when engine braking, as there have been issues of the engine cutting out on a small percentage of bikes,
which have been diagnosed as a faulty Throtlle Position sensor which then gets replaced under warranty.

Sounds like the dealer is already on the case with the engine "upgrade" ( recall ) , to address valve train play.

Other things to consider are whether you are going to invest in a Sat Nav system and other "toys" :

Triumph have a dedicated "CNC machined GPS bracket" which fits just in front of the bottom of the screen,
which is designed to have the Garmin Zumo 660 LM fitted to it.

If you are having this, then get the Garmin before having the Triumph bracket fitted,
and get the dealer to fit it !

There is a considerable amount of work involved in stripping down the front of the bike to fit the bracket,
and the Garmin cradle that attaches to the bracket, has to have the wiring from it passed down through a hole in the bracket.

You then need to make sure the Dealer is aware of the correct connections to make to the Garmin wiring -
that some dealers have been unaware of.
( Even though the information is provided in the instructions that come with the kit ) !

The power connections are made from a dedicated socket and use of a triumph Accessory connector cable,
which then provides a clean, interference free suppy to the Garmin.
The audio output jack socket from the Garmin is also connected to a dedicated audio jack plug.
Both of these dedicated connection points are located behind and below the left hand mirror pod,
so you need to make sure the dealer is aware of their location and uses them !

It is recommended that the audio connection is taped up to prevent it shaking loose,
and that an in-line fuse for the power wire to the Garmin is routed into the space in the pod
behind the left hand mirror, ( the mirror glass folds forward from its outer edge to access the space behind it in the pod ).
This means that if the fuse should ever "blow" it is readily accessible,
rather than being stuck behind the fairing somewhere inaccessible !

Also have alook on the Triumph web site for any other accessories you might want to buy
and negotiate the price and fitting with the Dealer.

I got 10% discount off the price of all the accessories I wanted, which included the GPS Bracket,
( I got the Garmin elsewhere for less money, but the Dealer still fitted the cradle for me ! ),
Back rest for the Top Box, Front fender extender, and the Triupmh Datatool Alarm system,
with the dealer fitting them all for free  :152:

I can't think of anything else at the moment, so good look with the negotiations and Test Ride  :028:

« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 06:39:11 PM by Coconut »

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 02:17:05 PM »
Well said coconut.... I think that just about sums it up.... only other minor complaint to look for is any fork oil leakage around the base.... a number of us had blown fork seals.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Lieu57

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE-Black
  • City / Town: Ohio
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 02:44:08 PM »
Sounds like a really good deal. Coconut's advice is spot on. Negotiate a deal for the add ons you want now and get the dealer to install. I got about 20% off on my top box, paint protection kit, heated seats and heated grips. Wish now I had also sprung for the Garmin bracket and the extended front fender...

Good luck!
'15 TTSE
Black
"Young riders pick a destination... Old riders pick a direction..."

Offline miss

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy se
  • City / Town: madrid
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 02:50:18 PM »
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 02:52:44 PM by miss »