Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Dead Trophy  (Read 2337 times)

Offline KenSmith

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Corbin, Kentucky
Dead Trophy
« on: November 25, 2013, 12:34:08 AM »
My Trophy only lasted six weeks. It ran great yesterday. But this morning it wouldn't start and it complained about something with the TES and told me to read the manual. I had to ride the little Honda to work in 18 degree weather.

When I got home, the Trophy was completely dead. After looking through this and other forums, it looks like I'm in for a struggle to get the bike fixed in a reasonable time. My dealer is 90 miles away. With the holidays and my schedule at work I have no idea how or when I'll get the bike to the shop.

This bike has been the best bike I've ever owned. But all of a sudden it's just a big dead lump of metal and plastic wasting space in my garage.

I've got it on a charger. Maybe I'll be able to ride it in the morning. But I have no faith that it will get me back home.
Ken Smith
Corbin, Kentucky
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere - Coming Soon
2013 Triumph Trophy SE - Going Soon
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe

Offline Tonto

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sydney
Re: Dead Trophy
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 01:32:54 AM »
Ken

Have you thought to call the dealer tech/Triumph USA to see if they can walk you through the steps to rectify the issue or reset the TES function/bike computer (if possible) over the phone?   Never know, the fix may be in the trouble-shooting section of the service manual????

Good luck.

Always ride in control.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 01:33:46 AM »
It might not be that bad.  Are you sure the kill switch is off?  Are you sure it is neutral?  Is the instrument panel indicating neutral?  Some gear position indicator switches go bad (there is a tech bulletin, but not a recall) and even if in neutral the bike won't start with the side stand down.  If it is none of these then it may be the battery.  You indicate you put on the charger.  let us know the results.   I don't believe the TES will have any effect on starting. It is your suspension and has nothing to do with starting.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 01:38:38 AM by w8d4it »
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Desertaire

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: El Paso TX
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 01:46:29 AM »
Mine did the same thing last week. After more than 24 hours on a charger the bike started right up. It took awhile longer for some of the other systems to come up...but now I'm back to normal. I rode today in 32 degrees, wind and wet roads. Don't know why it failed...just glad its back up and running again.

Offline KenSmith

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 02:06:11 AM »
I think the TES error is just another symptom of the failed battery/charging system. I was getting an error about the audio system yesterday.

The bike was in neutral, the side stand was up, the clutch lever was pulled, and the kill switch was in the proper position. The bike would not even attempt to start. When I got home from work, the bike didn't even have enough juice for any of the dash lights to come on. The digital panel would not come on. It's been on the charger for a couple of hours now and the dash stuff lights up, but it still won't start.

I'll call the dealer in the morning. He wasn't open today (Sunday). I'll start by asking him to ship me a new battery. Then I'll be sure to carry a charger in the saddle bag in case I lose power again while I'm out on the road.

In nearly 40 years of riding Hondas I never got excited enough to buy a Honda shirt. I loved this Triumph and went out and bought $100 worth of Triumph shirts. The dull Hondas never left me stranded. I've owned one beautiful Harley and one exciting Triumph and they've both left me stranded. At least the Triumph had the decency to strand me at home.

I love the Trophy. It feels like it was designed just for me. But if it won't run, it's useless. Triumph seems to know how to design a great riding bike. They need to learn how to build something close to the quality of the Japanese bikes. I'll take a dull Honda that runs any day over an exciting Triumph door stop. No one would tolerate this kind of stuff with a new car. I don't understand why folks are willing to put up with this crap on a new bike. If I didn't have the luxury of owning a second bike, I would have been late for work today. That's not acceptable.
Ken Smith
Corbin, Kentucky

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 02:22:49 AM »
You are correct that it is not acceptable.  Not with a new car and not with a new bike.  Unfortunately I've seen it happen with both.  It is small consolation but anyone can get a dud battery in any vehicle.  Heck I've had a Sears Die Hard last less than a year.  The Optima gel battery in my Corvette lasted only two years. The battery is not made by Triumph and I understand that unfortunately the Trophies got a bad batch.  If it is the battery Triumph should cover it under warranty and I hope all will be forgiven.  Lets hope it is just the battery and you are out of it easy.   
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 12:27:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by KenSmith [+]
No one would tolerate this kind of stuff with a new car.
The only new car I bought in my life had an intermittent  problem with the battery. So it happens in cars too. 

But I would not make a big deal out of a bad battery in a new anything, myself. But hopefully we can later buy a more reliable battery than the stock  one the TTSE comes with.

-Don-  SF, CA
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline KenSmith

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 01:18:04 PM »
I left the Battery Tender Plus attached overnight. The battery has a charge, but the Tender still showed the red light for full charging.

Most or maybe even all of my settings have returned to original. The clock is way off. The windshield was in the low position.

I rode the bike to work without using the heated jacket and gloves this morning. I put the charger in the saddlebag. I'll go out and check on it at lunch.
Ken Smith
Corbin, Kentucky

tweedy-bunch