Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Anyone going to do the 20K service on their own?  (Read 9974 times)

Offline Glenk69

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Melbourne
Re: Anyone going to do the 20K service on their own?
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2013, 09:01:11 pm »
*Originally Posted by w8d4it [+]
To each their own but I have to question, without even the basics of the internal combustion engine, the electronics and the drive train, aren't you the least bit worried about a breakdown.  Especially in Australia with its great distances.  I know bikes have become more sophisticated but I've experienced breakdowns that I've fixed.  Had I not I could have been stranded for hours, a day or even two.

In Australia we have something called the Royal Automobile Club.  This means that if I break down anywhere or anytime they send out a bike mechanic to either get me going or provide transport for the bike to my preferred service centre.  All of this plus many other benefits for $75 per year.  :017:

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2013, 10:11:00 am »
w8d4it,

I thought I had posted a Reply yesterday, but mustn't have hot the "Post" button,
before heading off for the local Bike show  - Sorry about that  ! :157: .....

"one upmanship" ? - Not at all mate, I think your stories are very intuitive,
and there are a few lessons there that many could learn from  :028:

Got me thinking - maybe we could have another section for "General Tips & Tricks",
that wouldn't have to relate specifically to the Trophy, and could include stuff like
"How to" pick up a dropped bike ( without straining your back ),
Emergency electrical repair tips and tricks,
How to deal with a broken throttle cable / wire ( with or without a Tetleys key ring ! )
What to do if you have a puncture, including at hgh speed etc, etc,

I agree with others that Breakdown services are extremely useful, almost a must, but I personally think
that a little knowledge for "self helping" is always a good thing - especially in my case,
where we were in a remote area, no-one came past for over an hour,
we had no Cell Phone signal, and it was Desert hot !  :087:

I really don't know what we would have done if I hadn't been able to get it going again  :012:

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2013, 12:27:46 pm »
*Originally Posted by Coconut [+]
w8d4it,

I thought I had posted a Reply yesterday, but mustn't have hot the "Post" button,
before heading off for the local Bike show  - Sorry about that  ! :157: .....

"one upmanship" ? - Not at all mate, I think your stories are very intuitive,
and there are a few lessons there that many could learn from  :028:
I
Got me thinking - maybe we could have another section for "General Tips & Tricks",
that wouldn't have to relate specifically to the Trophy, and could include stuff like
"How to" pick up a dropped bike ( without straining your back ),
Emergency electrical repair tips and tricks,
How to deal with a broken throttle cable / wire ( with or without a Tetleys key ring ! )
What to do if you have a puncture, including at hgh speed etc, etc,

I agree with others that Breakdown services are extremely useful, almost a must, but I personally think
that a little knowledge for "self helping" is always a good thing - especially in my case,
where we were in a remote area, no-one came past for over an hour,
we had no Cell Phone signal, and it was Desert hot !  :087:

I really don't know what we would have done if I hadn't been able to get it going again  :012:

There are countries where you can break down literally in the middle of nowhere and a little mechanical knowledge can be a lifesaver. At the very least it can mean the difference between an uncomfortable night beside the road and limping into the next town.  There are places west of where I live that are next to unpopulated.