Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Zumo 390LM installed  (Read 2981 times)

Offline Briang1234

• Non Active
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Milwaukie, Or.
Zumo 390LM installed
« on: December 01, 2013, 05:33:02 am »
My second farkle, and major educational experience, was adding the Zumo on the bike. I tried the handlebar brake mount first but it put the screen to close to read without glasses. So I went out and bought the 660 mount with the Sat antenna mount. This also gave me an excuse to tear off some plastic and look at her naked.....sweet. (Thats some gas tank on this thing!)
Not nearly as bad as some to strip down, but i don't want to make a habit of it.
Anyway, the hole pattern on the Triumph mount is 90 degrees off what the 390 needs, so I would have had to drill new holes. What I chose to do was mount a Ram ball, a short stalk, and another ball on the Zumo mount. Not as clean as the 660, but I kind of like the adjustment options.
I know the 660 series would have been the better choice, but I bought the 390 before I knew I was getting a Trophy. And the 390 has some better options for routing. Tomorrow I'll take her out for a test spin with the GPS.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 04:05:31 pm by Briang1234 »
Brian
I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.
Riding the Northwet

Offline Ewshockley

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Dunlap Tennessee
Re: Zumo 390LM installed
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 12:58:10 am »
How does it affect visibility?  It looks like it is high up, in the saddle do it obstruct.  Nice job installing.

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 06:35:34 am »
Just keep an eye on the vibration  :005: :005: The whole thing is supported by plastic and could cause cracking around the internal part of the binnacle. I know because I used to have my 550 mounted in the same place without using the RAM system and when it set off vibrating it bounced around like a dick in a bucket  :745: :745:

Just be wary  dude  :028: :028: :028:

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline Briang1234

• Non Active
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 01:25:24 pm »
*Originally Posted by Chaos [+]
Just keep an eye on the vibration  :005: :005: The whole thing is supported by plastic and could cause cracking around the internal part of the binnacle. I know because I used to have my 550 mounted in the same place without using the RAM system and when it set off vibrating it bounced around like a dick in a bucket  :745: :745:

Just be wary  dude  :028: :028: :028:

Chaos

Hmm, thats probably something to keep in mind. The internal stamped metal support bar that the Triumph mount is attached to is itself only screwed into the plastic dash faschia isnt it. I may still have to rethink the whole triumph mount arrangement.
Brian
Riding the Northwet

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 08:39:56 pm »
Brian

This is how I have my setup now  :028:
The 660 is  on the TT mount on the dash. This is linked to the autocom used on the long hauls when I've planned routes and guidance is needed.
The 550 is on as a back up and has a feature that isn't on the 660  :087:  namely a large digi speedo that is easily read and changed between miles & kilometers.
May look a little bit like over kill but works for me  :087:
I posting this picture to show you the look when the ram mount is mounted to one of the bolts holding the bars on.
This position is a far more secure mount and no danger of causing any damage to plastic.
Just another option for you to consider  :028: :028:

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline Briang1234

• Non Active
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 04:27:53 am »
Hey Chaos
Im going to be trying out that big ol triumph tank bag for touring, dont think that setup you have for the 550 will fly with that big beast. Nothing ever stays in one place on my bike anyway. Always moving stuff around. Thats half the fun. Next is the gopro mounts.
Brian
Riding the Northwet