Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Quick Tour of West Texas  (Read 2325 times)

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
Quick Tour of West Texas
« on: December 02, 2013, 04:01:50 PM »
I took a short trip around west Texas on the Trophy after Thanksgiving.  This was the first long ride I've been able to make since I bought it in September.  I did 1400 miles in two days and found the bike to be very comfortable.  I replaced the low seat with the standard model and it gave me more leg room and a better seating position relative to the bars. My butt was sore after 14 hours on Friday, but I was pleasantly surprised that my knees and wrists weren't stiff and sore like they would have been on the ST-1300.

There are some pretty empty roads out there so you can twist the throttle a little and I was able to do about 60 miles at "go to jail" speeds. Tank range goes way down when riding above 5500 rpm for any distance!  Overall I averaged a little less than 240 miles to a tank which is way below what I get riding back and forth to work so it was a fun two days.

Mornings were cold, it was 28F Friday and 29F on Saturday morning, but the afternoons were above 70F.  I had a Gerbings jacket liner and heated grips and was quite comfortable.  I didn't' even have to put the grips on the high setting.  The wind protection is excellent.  I have a heated seat on the Wing, but don't think I'll spend the $$ to put one on the Trophy. 

I am used to people asking questions when I'm on the bike, but was not prepared for the number of people who asked about the brand.  Most went along the lines of "Is that really a Triumph?  Is that the same company that made bikes in the 60s?  They were very surprised to find out the company was still making motorcycles. One boy, about 8 years old, came over to me at a gas station and said "Nice crotch rocket".  I explained to him that it was a touring bike and answered a few of his questions.  It obviously had an interest in bikes so I gave him my Triumph hat.  I hope he will be a new rider some day.

Online Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Quick Tour of West Texas
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 05:20:17 PM »
Sounds like a fun time was had by all - including your new found friend .....
.... obviously had an interest in bikes so I gave him my Triumph hat. 
I hope he will be a new rider some day.
:047:

p.s. I think your Trophy is fantastic too - can I have your Jacket ?  :745:

Offline Desertaire

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: El Paso TX
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 08:24:38 PM »
Ernest T

Where in West Texas were you riding? I'm from El Paso...maybe we could meet somewhere for a ride some day.

Steve

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 08:33:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by Desertaire [+]
Ernest T

Where in West Texas were you riding? I'm from El Paso...maybe we could meet somewhere for a ride some day.

Steve

I meandered most of the panhandle north of Lubbock.  I started in Salado and went Brownwood, Sweetwater, Rotan, Post, Lubbock, Leveland, Dimmitt, Amarillo, Dumas, Dalhart, Texline, Panhandle, Childress, Quanah, Seymour, Throckmorton, Baird, Cross Plains, Hamilton, Gatesville and back to Salado. 

I will be out toward Big Bend, maybe over Christmas break, and would be happy to see if we could meet up.

Offline Desertaire

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 09:04:08 PM »
It always makes me laugh when you Pan Handle guys talk about West Texas. I'll be in Dallas for Christmas. We usually head for Big Bend in April or October. Its 250 miles to Alpine from here...how far for you?

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 09:19:34 PM »
420 miles.

My wife is from El Paso, the lower valley.

Offline Desertaire

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 09:21:54 PM »
We live in the Lower Valley...the bottom of Redd Road and Montoya.

Offline Desertaire

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 09:46:24 PM »
I'm so dumb, Redd Road and Montoya is in the Upper Valley.

tweedy-bunch