Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Rear wheel balancer or adapters???  (Read 6026 times)

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
Rear wheel balancer or adapters???
« on: December 03, 2013, 08:13:01 pm »
Just changing my rear tire for the 1st time, and though I'd hoped my balancer adapter for my old BMW would fit it does not, totally different rear wheel hub design.....

My current balancer has a 1/2" axle and is very similar to the Mark Parnes balancer....

Has anyone bought 'cones' or 'adapters for this kind of balancer to work with the Triumph, hopefully at a reasonable price.   Looks like from Parnes they'd be about $50 American.   Not outrageous but... always pays to shop/ask.

I actually have a plan.   Looks like the Big Cone I have would work if I could have a disk fabricated 3 9/16 OD with a 1/2 bore in the center....  Working on that....

Thanks
Jan...
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2008 Kawasaki KLR650
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC

Offline strathroy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Strathroy
Re: Rear wheel balancer or adapters???
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 09:40:46 pm »
 :027:don't even know what this is can you explain

Offline TwoBrothersBusa

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TrophySE
  • City / Town: McDonald
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 10:00:37 pm »
I'm not gonna say yet...I was trying to balance my friends VFR800 rear wheel and actually used the sprocket carrier off of my GSXR to center my cones on.  The sprocket carrier fit my balance cone and was perfect to center up on the single sided wheel.
2008 Hayabusa - Gone but not forgotten
2007 GSXR 1000 - track bike
2013 Mustang GT - Street Ride
1990 CBR1000F - the old girl

Offline triucati

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: SOLD: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Carson City, NV
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 11:09:39 pm »
I am probably no help, but I didn't balance my rear tire because of lack of adapters for the single sided wheel.  I carried some wheel weights with me on my first ride, thinking I would need to add some weight opposite of the valve stem.  Might be complete luck but my rear wheel is smooth like butter with no weights.  Note:  I am a believer that it is very difficult to notice an unbalanced rear wheel.  The front needs to balanced properly though.

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 11:50:22 pm »
wound up ordering an adapter from Marc Parns, $40 shipped...   so will balance when it arrives in a couple of days....

Had an interesting conversation with Marc about the number of wheel weights necessary to balance the tire due to the need to offset the TPS...   He says that he 1st balances the rim without a tire mounted and epoxies the weights to the inside of the rim in the center, epoxies them on and when that's dry epoxies over the whole mass.   Sounds like a great idea.   I'd worry a bit about if they came loose though, guessing that's wreck the sensor and tear up the inside of the tire...   

A friend of mine changed a tire and found a rim protector inside...  Tire had a lot of wear inside and rubber powder...

Did have a hell of a time getting the rear OEM Angel off.... Mindful to be careful around the Tire Pressure Sensor...    Seemed to come off easier from the lug nut side, though I can't see why that'd make a difference....

Won't be able to test the new tires (Pilot Road 3's) probably until March... Just got a foot of snow, and another foot foreguessed....  followed by temps in the single digits F....  Winter is here...

1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2008 Kawasaki KLR650
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC

Offline TwoBrothersBusa

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TrophySE
  • City / Town: McDonald
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 12:24:03 am »
Epoxy is nothing more than glue...no way I'd trust glue holding a mass on the INSIDE of my tire at speed.  I'll stick with them on the outside and taped.

*Originally Posted by janfmiller [+]
wound up ordering an adapter from Marc Parns, $40 shipped...   so will balance when it arrives in a couple of days....

Had an interesting conversation with Marc about the number of wheel weights necessary to balance the tire due to the need to offset the TPS...   He says that he 1st balances the rim without a tire mounted and epoxies the weights to the inside of the rim in the center, epoxies them on and when that's dry epoxies over the whole mass.   Sounds like a great idea.   I'd worry a bit about if they came loose though, guessing that's wreck the sensor and tear up the inside of the tire...   

A friend of mine changed a tire and found a rim protector inside...  Tire had a lot of wear inside and rubber powder...

Did have a hell of a time getting the rear OEM Angel off.... Mindful to be careful around the Tire Pressure Sensor...    Seemed to come off easier from the lug nut side, though I can't see why that'd make a difference....

Won't be able to test the new tires (Pilot Road 3's) probably until March... Just got a foot of snow, and another foot foreguessed....  followed by temps in the single digits F....  Winter is here...
2008 Hayabusa - Gone but not forgotten
2007 GSXR 1000 - track bike
2013 Mustang GT - Street Ride
1990 CBR1000F - the old girl

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 02:47:54 am »
I have one of the Jakewilson balancers that uses two cones to snug up to the wheel.  Sounds similar to the Marc Parn one with adaptors.  I usually leave one fixed and adjust the other one.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 02:35:32 pm »
*Originally Posted by janfmiller [+]

Aside from the worry of the epoxy letting loose what happens when the TPMS unit needs replacing?  The TPMS units will vary in weight.  I would think it will be quite a chore to remove the epoxied in weights and may tear up the rim in the process. 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 03:52:28 am by w8d4it »
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

tweedy-bunch