Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: What engine coolant type?  (Read 5313 times)

Offline Nodrogmac

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Kings Lynn
What engine coolant type?
« on: December 05, 2013, 05:05:46 PM »
Like several others I seem to have a minor coolant leak that the dealer tells me not to worry about. That's okay but I was wondering if anyone can recommend a coolant that meets with the handbooks hybrid OAT coolant? I've never come across this before and would appreciate some wise guidance as I need to top it up.

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
Re: What engine coolant type?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 09:26:12 PM »
Hybrid OAT coolant is used in pretty well all modern cars.  The bottle should use those words, and say for extended use (5 years / 250,000kms is common here).  If you want to play it safe, motorcycle shops should carry bottles of coolant suitable for bikes.  In Australia I could tell you about specific brands and where to get them, but don't know what you have in the UK.

Offline Nodrogmac

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Kings Lynn
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 06:58:44 AM »
Thank you saaz. I know what to look for now.

Offline ride200mi

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph SE
  • City / Town: Central CA
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 08:05:08 PM »
Has anyone tried this engine coolant or seen it any where?

http://www.evanscooling.com/
Life is a limited time offer, live deliberately, ride often!!!

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 08:02:13 PM »
I were surprised to see that only one type of coolant fluid is listed in the workshop manual, I see that several engine oils are mentioned for example.

I'm guessing that if you sprung a slow leak whilst on a ride out, it would be OK to top up with water, ideally distilled, just to get you home then drain, fix/repair and refill with the coolant specified??

Online Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 09:42:13 PM »
Hi nodrogmac,

The Trophy Owners handbook specifies Triumph HD4X Hybrid OAT coolant.

This is available from authorised Triumph Dealers or on-line here : World of Triumph - Item 52

Offline KSquared

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '16 TTSE Pac Blue
  • City / Town: Parkland, FL
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 10:30:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by ride200mi [+]
Has anyone tried this engine coolant or seen it any where?

http://www.evanscooling.com/
I notice that there was never a response to this inquiry and I, for one, would be interested if anyone has had any experience with this coolant - or with another coolant called "EngineIce", which can be found here:  http://www.engineice.com/.  The reason I am so interested is that here in South Florida, it is 90+ degrees for months on end and the occasional traffic jam is impossible to avoid.  The Engine Ice website talks about an overall 10-15 degree drop in typical operating temps and that would be a wonderful thing - especially for radiated engine heat in the summertime. 

Anyone have nay experience at all with these alternative coolants?

Thanks.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline towersk

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy Launch
  • City / Town: Granger IN
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 11:04:52 PM »
Zerex G-05 is a hybrid-OAT and what I used when I changed my coolant.  EngineIce in a non-ethylene glycol coolant that is non toxic which is a requirement for most tracks.

The 10-15 degree drop in temperature ???, compared to what ???. The operating temperature is set by the thermostat, the TTSE will maintain the proper temperature, with a little help from the cooling fans if necessary and there have been no over heating issues with the TTSE.

Best to stay with the manufacture's specification for corrosion protection, etc.  And - NEVER mix different types of coolant, they can really get gummy because of the different additives.

Also, be very careful removing the radiator drain and air vent screws.  The black paint/coating on the screws is about as strong as the weld between the fitting and the radiator, very easy to twist the entire fitting off the radiator.  I've got a light touch on a spanner and twisted mine off along with a few other mates having the same issue.  I would suggest to sand or Dremel the paint off of the sides of the screw and maybe use a little heat.
Cheers,
Ken