Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Champion Cycle in Bellingham, WA  (Read 5325 times)

Offline macnorman

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Birch Bay, WA
Champion Cycle in Bellingham, WA
« on: December 05, 2013, 09:36:27 pm »
Well, my local dealer in Bellingham, WA (Champion Cycle) called yesterday and told me Triumph is putting him out of business. They want to put their franchise in a larger location. Don't know where I'll go for warranty work. He's still going to repair motorcycles and have a stock of OE parts. Sometimes big business sucks.

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
Re: Champion Cycle in Bellingham, WA
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 10:13:09 pm »
Sorry to hear that you're loosing your local dealer.
I've had extended talks with a potential Triumph dealer and two present Triumph dealers. All three say that Triumph is very difficult to deal with. Very demanding.
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

Offline Desertaire

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: El Paso TX
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 10:17:34 pm »
Yea, I miss the small, hole in wall, single brand shops of the 70s and 80s. The Triumph shop here also carries 9 other brands. There is no way they can carry parts and accessories for all these brands. Much less know everything there is to know about each model.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 11:33:02 pm »
The large Triumph dealer in Reno (Freedom Cycles) is very difficult to find, even with their address in a GPS. It cannot be seen from the main road. It's well hidden behind many other buildings.

-Don-
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 05:35:51 pm »
Yeah the dealer I bought my bike from says Triumph is hard to deal with.  It is their love of Triumph and its history that keeps the affiliation.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 02:29:12 pm »
*Originally Posted by macnorman [+]
Well, my local dealer in Bellingham, WA (Champion Cycle) called yesterday and told me Triumph is putting him out of business. They want to put their franchise in a larger location. Don't know where I'll go for warranty work. He's still going to repair motorcycles and have a stock of OE parts. Sometimes big business sucks.
A question just occurred to me.  Is Champion Cycle giving up the dealership because Triumph is putting a franchise nearby e in a larger location. Or is Triumph truly pulling the franchise without cause.  I don't think they can do the latter. The  Triumph franchise likely requires the dealer to have breached the agreement in order to pull the franchise.  On the other hand it is rather common for Triumph to sell another franchise nearby in larger metropolitan areas.  Triumph doesn't seem to care about protecting its long dealer relationships 
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline flyingz06

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Indiana
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 02:53:25 pm »
of course they can yank it.  didn't you see what obama did to GM?   :020:  Shut down huge dealerships here in the states.  If he is not meeting the Triumph standards or upkeeps, he is out.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 03:09:32 pm »
*Originally Posted by flyingz06 [+]
of course they can yank it.  didn't you see what obama did to GM?   :020:  Shut down huge dealerships here in the states.  If he is not meeting the Triumph standards or upkeeps, he is out.
Read my post.  Not meeting Triumph's requirement is a breach.  GM has nothing to do with it.  GM was a bankruptcy case in which the bankruptcy trustee can terminate certain relationships. 
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST