Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Zumo Audio Vs USB Audio  (Read 3982 times)

Offline Tonto

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sydney
Zumo Audio Vs USB Audio
« on: December 09, 2013, 05:53:20 am »
I found what appears to be another anomoly with the TTSE audio system.

My set-up:

1. Audio from the Zumo 660 is hard wired into a Starcom 1 Digital, as well as, being  hard wired to the TTSE GPS audio cable.

2. MP3 audio files are stored on USB stick plugged in at the TTSE fairing storage compartment.

3. MP3 audio files are stored on micro SD card in the Zumo 660.

When I select the TTSE audio to pick-up audio from the Zumo 660 [not the USB port], I hear the audio file playing though both my helmet speakers (via the Starcom). as well as, the bike audio speakers - as it should be. 

Well, here is the Gremlin, after  3 or 4 minutes with everything working the way it should be (audio input to the TTSE remaining set to pick up from the Zumo),  the TTSE audio system decides to ingore this and plays audio from the USB stick though the bike speakers.  Result - I am hearing one song from my helmet speakers (playing from the Zumo) and another song through the bike speakers (playing from the USB stick). :112:

The solution is just to remove the USB stick, but this should not be the case.  If one sets the input for the TTSE to come from the Zumo, it should be from the zumo irrespective that a USB stick is plugged in.

Gremlins!

Always ride in control.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Zumo Audio Vs USB Audio
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 09:20:32 am »
I'm guessing here, but if you have split the audio output from the Zumo 660
to 2 seperate devices ( Trophy and your Starcom ),
then there will be at least "some" loss of output signal to the Trophy system,
and perhaps that is what is causing it to drop out in favour of the USB source.

I don't think you'll get anywhere with this by consulting Triumph,
or even referring to the issue as "Triumph Gremlins"
as you are trying to do something that the system was not designed for.

Offline Tonto

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 02:22:59 am »
Thks Coconut

Your correct, the audio signal from the Zumo is split, and I did initially think that this could be an issue, however, even at highway speeds there is plenty of volume coming from the bike speakers (I never have to have it turned up past half way)  and also to the helmet speakers.   That said, I cannot find any logic (in my way of thinking), that even if if the input from the Zumo to the bike audio system is weaker because of the split, when one selects input from 'Nav' the system should not be dragging audio from the USB input.  It's like me selecting a file from drive D/: on my PC, but the PC replies, "stuff you, I going to drive E/:" . 

While I have escalated this to Triumph Aust who have advised that they will escalate it to the appropriate people, I am not expecting Triumph to do anything about this or other audio issues discussed on this forum with the current model TTSE, hopefully however, with the feedback from us, we may see a new and improved audio system in 2016, including an 'audio out' to assist the hearing impaired &/or to feed intercom systems.  Better still, perhaps the 2016 model audio system could include a genuine Triumph intercom option (that has no issues with the TTSE system) so we can be done with Starcom/Autocom/various aftermarket wireless systems.

Thks once again.

Always ride in control.

Offline Roger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Kent
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 05:27:55 pm »
Hi Tonto

With my Starcom Digital set I spliced the starcom speaker cable into the TT speaker cables so that I pick up the audio from the speakers, I assume when I fit my Zumo that I will connect that to the TT and then listen to the information through the speakers splicing.

Hope that makes sense

Roger

Offline Tonto

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 09:33:05 pm »
Roger
I have the cable to tap into the bike speakers and this will be the ideal solution. I decided not to have the cable installed for the present just in case there is a warranty issue with the audio system.  However I will have it installed either at the next service or when I get brave enough and have spare time to have a go at pulling the fairing apart to get to the speaker wiring.
Thks.
Always ride in control.

Offline Roger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Kent
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 10:19:30 am »
Tonto

That's good I spliced mine in myself, from the speakers are a 6" cable which then connects to the loomb and its that small cable I spliced into so at worst you would need to just replace them if you messed it up but they are fine.

What I was thinking but didn't make it clear was that with the Starcom spliced into the speakers you are listening to the bike audio etc,  rather than the way you have it you are listening to the bike AND the Starcom which is why you can hear both, that's what I think.

When I suggested splicing into the speakers to the dealers they were against it but it works very well, and I have had NO problems at all, apart from a puncture which I don't think is related !

Roger

Offline Tonto

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 09:49:10 am »
*Originally Posted by Tonto [+]
I found what appears to be another anomoly with the TTSE audio system.

My set-up:

1. Audio from the Zumo 660 is hard wired into a Starcom 1 Digital, as well as, being  hard wired to the TTSE GPS audio cable.

2. MP3 audio files are stored on USB stick plugged in at the TTSE fairing storage compartment.

3. MP3 audio files are stored on micro SD card in the Zumo 660.

When I select the TTSE audio to pick-up audio from the Zumo 660 [not the USB port], I hear the audio file playing though both my helmet speakers (via the Starcom). as well as, the bike audio speakers - as it should be. 

Well, here is the Gremlin, after  3 or 4 minutes with everything working the way it should be (audio input to the TTSE remaining set to pick up from the Zumo),  the TTSE audio system decides to ingore this and plays audio from the USB stick though the bike speakers.  Result - I am hearing one song from my helmet speakers (playing from the Zumo) and another song through the bike speakers (playing from the USB stick). :112:

The solution is just to remove the USB stick, but this should not be the case.  If one sets the input for the TTSE to come from the Zumo, it should be from the zumo irrespective that a USB stick is plugged in.

Gremlins!

Dear all

I found the Gremlin and dealt with it accordingly. I decided to actually read through the TTSE Audio System Handbook (properly).  I found that you can actually set the Zumo 660 (Nav) as an item in the 'source' list [the default setting is off, to set the Nav as an input source, this must be turned on].  This allows you to see when the Nav audio is playing as the source on your display.  The procedure how to do this is clearly explained on pages 40 and 41 of the Audio Manual.

All I do now when playing the mp3 files stored on the micro SD in the Zumo, is to scroll through the audio source by pressing Mode/Menu button repeatedly until Nav comes on the screen.  No more Gremlin, I can play the music audio from the Zumo through the Starcom helmet headset, or Starcom headset and bike speakers - the bike audio system now plays music files only from the one source I actullay select.   :152:

I decided

Always ride in control.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 10:32:21 am »
Hi Tonto,

Thanks for updating us with the answer to the problem you had -
I'm glad it was just a setting that needed changing  :028:

( and sorry to hear about your Battery problem on the other thread ).

« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 11:13:02 pm by Coconut »