Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Speedometer failur  (Read 1493 times)

Offline dvmpete

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 1999 Trophy
Speedometer failur
« on: December 11, 2013, 06:40:46 pm »
The speedo on my new to me 1999 Trophy with 19K miles on it just failed.  I have the Haynes manual which just instructs how to replace the cable….which is perhaps all I need to do.  My questions are:
1. Where can the speedo/odo fail?
2. Is there some simple diagnostic to check what needs replacing or repairing?

By the way, I've had a couple Beemers and a 2007 FJR…..I love the way this bike rides!  Gotta get the wind out of my face though…I'm 6'1" and prefer less head buffeting.  Can anyone recommend a good aftermarket screen…and then ship it to me in New Zealand!  :001:

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: Speedometer failur
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 12:54:13 am »
dvmpete,  I don't want to seem rude but I'm not sure how much help we can give.  This Forum is devoted to the new model Trophy.  I know there are a couple of members who have the older model.  Perhaps they can comment.  If not there is another more general Triumph RAT forum that may be able to help
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
Re: Speedometer failur
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 09:01:02 am »
Assuming it is a cable driven speedo, take of the end that goes to the front drive and check to see if the inner cable comes out in one piece. I have had a few cables break somewhere along the cable on various other bikes.  A kink in the cable can lead to failure. Best idea is to take out that inner cable every few tyre changes and grease it up.  The inner cable can be reinserted and turned around a few times while pushing up to re-engage with the speedo.

I am assuming a few things here so hope it is not misleading.