Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: A bit of a trial ride for longer rides  (Read 1401 times)

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
A bit of a trial ride for longer rides
« on: December 12, 2013, 09:14:32 am »
A mate of mine is going to do some IBA style rides yet again in the coming year, so was going to do a 600kms plus run today to check out fuel filling, actual range and accuracy of the estimated distance to empty.  All this is on an ST1300 Honda.  I decided to go along as I was going to do something the same this week any way.

I did learn that getting the full capacity out of the Trophy tank involves slow filling the last bit right up to the top - sidestand or centre stand did not seem to matter that much.  Once I did that the fuel light did come on with around 4.5 litres left, so if I only quick fill the bike I would be short around 2 litres.

The distance to empty seem very accurate (not I did not run it fully dry) as the fuel used indicated was spot on, and remaining distance tallied with average fuel usage and what seemed left in the tank.

Today was gusty winds, seemingly always a head wind (go figure as we did a loop on the freeway) and average moving speed of over 110kph (speed limit was 110kph and a few nicely coloured cars were out and about)  I figure this was perhaps a worst case scenario, but stll managed 4.8 lt/100km and range of over 540kms.  In better conditions a lot better, as a range of over 620kms was indicated on the non-test section.  This will more than do me for what I want, as usualt the rider needs more stops than the bike on trips.

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
Re: A bit of a trial ride for longer rides
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 09:25:36 am »
 :460: thanks for posting, interesting experience, must confess that in Western Europe long distances are shorter than on your side of the planet, population density is higher, so fuel autonomy is probably of less concern (relatively speaking) :002:
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline TrupTR

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE
  • City / Town: Bombala
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 09:41:37 am »
That is good news for a lap around Aust, especially riding across the top :002:
Your results are better than the GT on a long distance ride
Sprint ST 2007-2010
Sprint GT 2010-2014
TTSE-2014

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 10:52:33 am »
It is all very handy to have up your sleeve as there are just some places in Australia where fuel is hard to come by at certain times.

I forgot to mention that the Trophy in those conditions was a joy to ride.  The wind gusts, truck turbulence and general conditions were handled no fuss.  I could say even boring, but of course riding is never boring, it is just those extra fatigue factors are now gone.

Forgot to mention that the first stop was at a bit over 500kms, the longest I have been on the bike in one session as at nearly 4000kms I think having a running in rest is now in the past.  It is time to just get in and ride.

Offline Trophy 59

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT SE, XV750 Bobber
  • City / Town: Perth
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 12:34:34 pm »
Same here, Saaz. My 'distance to empty', remaining fuel, and average litre/100km came out quite precise over 500km of harder riding.  Gave me confidence to push out to the edge to get to the next Servo.
Don't grow up, it's a trap...

tweedy-bunch