Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: TES Malfunction Light  (Read 8625 times)

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
TES Malfunction Light
« on: December 12, 2013, 01:24:33 pm »
We've had a couple weeks of cold, wet weather in central Texas and my Trophy has developed a new habit.  In the morning its been in the lower to mid 20s, but the bike is in a warm garage and everything starts and rides normally.  After work, its been in the mid 30s and when I start the bike the TES malfunction light comes on and there is a message that says something about checking the TES at the bottom of the screen. It doesn't say calibrating, but I can't remember the exact verbiage.  The light goes out after riding a few feet.  Is the TES adjustment hydraulic or mechanical?  If its hydraulic I could see how cold weather would cause it to take a few minutes to adjust after the bikes starts.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: TES Malfunction Light
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 04:14:19 pm »
I have a similar issue. I asked the dealer to check it out as long as I had the bike in for the tank recall
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Papermaker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Custer, WI.
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 05:34:54 pm »
Ernest T, the TES warning you saw was “WARNING TES SYSTEM - CHECK MANUAL".  It’s the only message the shop manual mentions.

Here’s an overview of the SE suspension functions:

The right and left fork and the rear shock are rebound adjustable via stepper motors.  These devices have a four wire connectors so they may provide position information which would make the motor’s closed loop.  If this is true, the rebound damping adjustment is truly “electronic” as Triumph says in their advertising.  The shock spring preload is also stepper motor driven.  The manual states that it has a Hall Effect transistor which supplies preload position information.  The Hall Effect device confirms that the shock preload adjustment is electronic.

The shop manual specifies that the TES unit detects several faults including rebound stepper motor position and preload adjuster stepper motor faults including an over current motor and out of position fault.

The manual also mentions that suspensions faults are not recorded so intermittent suspension faults will be more difficult to detect.  Note: The Triumph Diagnostic Tool (TDT) runs an adjustment protocol which drives the stepper motors through their range of adjustment.  If a fault occurs during the test the TDT will detect the fault.

My bike has taken extended periods of time to complete TES suspension adjustment.  I’ve note other members mention this issue as well.  I didn’t time the length of time the system “Calibrated” but it did finally finish the calibration.  A forum member mentioned that suspension calibration can take up to 30 seconds.  My bike as taken well over 30 seconds to complete the adjustment on a couple of occasions.

Offline Papermaker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Custer, WI.
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 09:04:09 pm »
One other thing about the TES warning.  The shop manual mentions that a low battery voltage can cause the message to appear.

Offline nert

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hopewell, NJ
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 01:37:31 am »
My SE hasn't recovered from the TES warning light for the last 3000 miles. I dint want to give the bike up to have it fixed, so I keep riding it that way. It first occurred when attempting to select (2) up from single rider. Never made the transition, went to "fault" and there it stayed. Been hoping it would fix itself. NOT. Will have it fixed sometime, mid winter, to cold and nasty for me to ride, along with 10,000 mile service and tire replacement.

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 08:50:55 pm »
*Originally Posted by Papermaker [+]
One other thing about the TES warning.  The shop manual mentions that a low battery voltage can cause the message to appear.

I get a low voltage/no audio warning all the time so that may be it.

Offline miss

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy se
  • City / Town: madrid
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 11:50:15 pm »
the manual says
off the bike
Replacing contact, make the adjustment

A couple of days went for a walk with a woman does not I remembered before monatr change the tees fit me realize I was going on a helmet, stand next to the carretra and put ing on two hulls, did not work , I am the light on and warning below.
off the bike, got off the bike, the bike did lit setting on the center stand and run

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 02:21:02 am »
This morning, for the first time TES malfunctioned on my Trophy.  I just had the ECM replaced, not sure if that is a factor... but never had an issue before the replacement.

Temp was about 30F, I had adjusted the mode from Sport to Comfort as I was doing some freeway.  Entering  a lovely twisty area, I stopped to set it to One-up-with-luggage/Sport, the way I like it for technical stuff.   TES light never went out and WARNING messge appeared.  I shut off, waited a minute, restarted, error persisted.  2 more attempts produced same.  So rode through the twisties with the TTSE stuck in One-up/Comfort.  Good job but not ideal.  About an hour later, I stopped, shut down, restarted, and the TES calibrated OK, warning went away.

Disappointing..   

Also had a low battery warning for the front Tire Pressure Sensor.  No way I pulling the wheel and tire for just that...
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2008 Kawasaki KLR650
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC

tweedy-bunch