Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Triumph Trophy on unmade roads  (Read 4169 times)

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
Triumph Trophy on unmade roads
« on: December 14, 2013, 03:51:26 am »
Over here we generally refer to unmade roads as dirt or gravel roads, just depends whether they have been formed as roads or just evolved from vehicles going offroad.

I had to fill the bike before doing some triathlon support tomorrow morning, so a few hundred km ride beforehand seemed like a good idea.

I went on a loop ride through some hilly country, including 20kms of gravel road through some forest which was quite picturesque. The gravel road was in decent condition, but as usually you have to keep an eye out for corrugations, holes and loose gravel.  I was on comfort mode, and Trophy just lapped it up.  For whatever reason, it is just as good in the gravel and on the bitumen - a bit of magic happening here!  Very planted, very stable, rear brake with the link to the front works a treat in scrubbing a bit of speed safely (no I did not try and activate the ABS or TC) and the engine works perfectly in supplying pulling power in whatever gear while maintaining traction.  The suspension in particular just soaked up the corrugations and kept the wheels on the ground.  Speed was mostly between 30kph (blind hairpin corners) and 80 kph (the bits in between those corners), with some more open section up to 100kph

The Trophy is as good or even better than any other heavy onroad bike I have tried in the gravel with road tyres.  I have avoided too much of this until I install the radiator guard and downpipe grill protector.

Now all I have to do is get out in some heavy rain - I will leave riding in snow and ice to others as I have to travel too far to do that, and it is summer here  :152:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 03:56:23 am by saaz »

Offline rustynut01

• Trophy Member
  • Rustynut
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Oshawa
Re: Triumph Trophy on unmade roads
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 09:57:24 am »
Thats good to know, I'm planning a trip from Oshawa Ont to Fairbanks Alaska in late June. While in fairbanks im going to visit the arctic circle. I understand that the road north is 2/3 gravel/shale so we'll see how the TT performs.

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 10:55:29 am »
I don't think you will have any problems with the Trophy, just depends what the roads are like.  I have been on bad unmade roads that a road bike should not go on, but I think the Trophy would even make a good fist of those.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 03:24:46 am »
*Originally Posted by rustynut01 [+]
Thats good to know, I'm planning a trip from Oshawa Ont to Fairbanks Alaska in late June. While in fairbanks im going to visit the arctic circle. I understand that the road north is 2/3 gravel/shale so we'll see how the TT performs.

I've ridden to the Arctic Circle and above.  Getting to the Arctic circle itself isn't that bad.  The road is unpaved in parts.  It is rough but nothing an experienced rider can't handle.  Your worst fears will be oncoming 18 wheelers (camions) throwing up stones and flat tires.  You won't find much in the way of repair help above Fairbanks.  Of course there is no Triumph dealer in Fairbanks.  If you like as you get closer to going you can post or write and I (or there are likely others who have ridden to Alaska) will be happy to share experiences.   
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline donmoe

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Jupiter, FL
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 06:44:08 pm »
Steve Cook from Loveland, Colorado, rode his 2010 Kawasaki Concours-14 to Alaska from Colorado along with friends riding dual-sport bikes and wrote it up in the March 2013 issue of the CO/WY MSTA Quarterly Newsletter. Unfortunately that issue is not available online. However, if you send me a private message, I can email you the PDF file of that newsletter issue. His experience encouraged me to consider making a trip like that on my Trophy.

Steve also posted numerous photos from his trip on this photo page on Google Plus.

Don
2015 BMW R1200GSA 2004 BMW R1150RT
2013 Triumph Trophy SE 1981 Kaw KZ1000 Shaft
2010 Kaw Concours 14 ABS 1974 Kaw Z1
2008 Kaw Concours 14 ABS 1973 Kaw H1

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 07:04:28 pm »
*Originally Posted by donmoe [+]
Steve Cook from Loveland, Colorado, rode his 2010 Kawasaki Concours-14 to Alaska from Colorado photo page on Google Plus.

Don
Doesn't count if the ride wasn't made on a Triumph  :745:
Besides Loveland Co is a lot closer to Alaska than Houston, TX so he saved 1300 miles each way
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline donmoe

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Jupiter, FL
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 10:41:44 pm »
*Originally Posted by w8d4it [+]
Doesn't count if the ride wasn't made on a Triumph  :745:
Besides Loveland Co is a lot closer to Alaska than Houston, TX so he saved 1300 miles each way
Agreed. The point is that it should be even easier to make such a trip on the Trophy being lighter than the Concours. From my experience with 63K miles on that same year Concours, I also find the Trophy much easier to handle on unpaved, sandy or gravel roads than the Connie, and somewhat easier to pick up once it does fall over. :159:

Don
2015 BMW R1200GSA 2004 BMW R1150RT
2013 Triumph Trophy SE 1981 Kaw KZ1000 Shaft
2010 Kaw Concours 14 ABS 1974 Kaw Z1
2008 Kaw Concours 14 ABS 1973 Kaw H1

Offline Tonto

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 03:08:37 am »
I rode with pillion on 12 km of gravel road (it was dry and in good condition) a week ago.  I always have TC turned on.  The TTSE handled the pumps and minor corragations with ease, keeping my lines though bends in the road just where I wanted to go.   I don't usualy ride on gravel roads, but this bike made me feel very confident.   
Always ride in control.

tweedy-bunch