Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: DARK DISPLAY SCREEN  (Read 2762 times)

Offline wingjack

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy se
  • City / Town: tucson
DARK DISPLAY SCREEN
« on: December 18, 2013, 12:35:53 am »
BIKE WAS IN THE SUN WHILE I WENT INTO A STORE FOR ABOUT AN HOUR.  WHEN I STARTED THE TT THE DISPLAY SCREEN WAS VERY DARK, ALMOST LIKE IT HAS BEEN DAMAGED.  AFTER ABOUT AN HOUR THE SCREEN CAME BACK TO NORMAL, ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS ISSUE?
Wingjack

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: DARK DISPLAY SCREEN
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 03:07:57 am »
Never had this happen and Texas sun gets nearly as bright as AZ
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Desertaire

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: El Paso TX
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 03:40:41 am »
Happens every time I park with the display facing the hot sun. My stop watch and bicycle computer do the same thing. I think its a LCD thing.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 04:50:54 am »
Interesting. You say it happens every time and ice never noticed it.  When I get back to Texas I will have to experiment
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Desertaire

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: El Paso TX
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 05:02:23 am »
Every time. Direct sunlight darkens the display.

Online Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 08:05:26 am »
As mentioned in the introduction post to Wingjack I've noticed this phenomenon but never really bothered about it since only partial and never lasts, as Desertaire said I figure it's a LCD thing. Will however mention it to the Dealer at next service, this time of the year it will not occurr again very often, unfortunately!
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline donmoe

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Jupiter, FL
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 05:16:07 pm »
I too have noticed this happening on my Trophy and also noticed it on my previous bike, a 2010 Kawasaki Concours-14. It seems to be a characteristic of LCD screens and clears up in a few minutes. However, I am concerned about a gradual degradation over a long period of time and would suggest parking so that the sun doesn't shine directly on the screen or covering the screen with a small towel.

Don
2015 BMW R1200GSA 2004 BMW R1150RT
2013 Triumph Trophy SE 1981 Kaw KZ1000 Shaft
2010 Kaw Concours 14 ABS 1974 Kaw Z1
2008 Kaw Concours 14 ABS 1973 Kaw H1

Offline Briang1234

• Non Active
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Milwaukie, Or.
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 05:51:34 pm »
Polarized glass on screen?
Polarized glasses?

Found this online

Contrast ratio (CR) is the ratio of luminance between the brightest “white” and the darkest “black” that can be produced on a display. CR is another major determinant of perceived picture quality. If a picture has high CR, you will judge it to be sharper and more crisp than a picture with lower CR. For example, a typical newspaper picture has a CR of about 5 to 7, whereas a high quality magazine picture has a CR that is greater than 15. Therefore, the magazine picture will look better even if the resolution is the same as that of the newspaper picture.

A typical AMLCD exhibits a CR between 300 to 700 when measured in a dark room. However, the CR on the same unit measured under ambient illumination is drastically lowered due to surface reflection (glare). For example, a standard 200 nit LCD measured in a dark room has a 300 CR, but will have less than a 2 CR under strong direct sunlight. This is due to the fact that surface glare increases the luminance by over 200 nits both on the white and the black that are produced on the display screen. The result is that the luminance of the white is slightly over 400 nits, and the luminance of the black is over 200 nits. The CR ratio then becomes less than 2 and the picture quality is drastically reduced.

i-Tech sunlight readable LCDs with 1500 nits screen brightness will have a CR over 8 with the same amount of glare under the same strong sunlight, making the picture quality on these units extremely good. For further reading on contrast ratio, please see Tech Note 0101, Page 2, the Display Contrast Ratio.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 05:59:22 pm by Briang1234 »
Brian
I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.
Riding the Northwet

tweedy-bunch