Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: What is the quickest way to the battery?  (Read 4628 times)

Offline FROSTY

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Broadford
What is the quickest way to the battery?
« on: December 19, 2013, 04:21:19 AM »
My bike was delivered today but am waiting on a operator manual and want to fit a trickle charger. Can someone please advise me on the quickest way to the battery?

Offline FROSTY

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Broadford
Re: What is the quickest way to the battery?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 04:40:49 AM »
Don't worry, found it after a bit of find and go seek. Thought it would be under the seat and was worrying about pulling the faring apart.

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 08:41:38 AM »
Hi Frosty, don't know which battery tender you plan on using but you might want to have a look at this thread, if not already done:

https://www.triumph-trophy.com/index.php/topic,641.15.html

Cheers  :821:
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 09:41:44 AM »
Hi Frosty,

To save you searching the forums, some bikes had an "Optimate" battery lead already fitted on the battery,
and you could just reach under the side of the cover, fish the cable out and plug into it.

The Power socket by the riders left knee is permanently live, and many owners, including me,
connect their Battery tender into that socket - it's quick, clean and simple  :169:

If you have the "Optimate" brand of Battery tender, Triumph sell an accessory with a plug on one end to go into the Power socket of the bike, and the other end has a socket to connect the Optimate to.

It should also be quite simple to make up up your own rig for brands other than Optimate.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 09:37:20 AM by Coconut »

Offline RickH

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Park City
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 03:20:22 PM »
To add, mine did come with a SAE cable attached to the battery on about a 9" or so cable. You need to actually dig for it a bit under beside the battery stuffed behind the side panel. I was about to attach one myself and it kind of popped out to my surprise and pleasure.

There doesn't appear to be mention of it in the manual, but works for trickle charge perfectly.

I tried connecting trickle charger to the presumed always on powerlet outlet on the lower left front side but the battery tender battery condition light didn't come on which I found odd - but it does when connecting direct through said cable above. Maybe something with the Can-Bus?

For now I'm using the provided SAE cable.

Offline Mad Dog

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 10:25:53 AM »
Mine came with Optimate lead attached be dealer.  Photos attached.
No such thing as bad weather - just inappropriate clothing.

Offline rocksteady

• Trophy Member
  • Searching for satellites
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Reading, Berkshire
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 11:03:56 AM »
I'm wondering about how important it is to connect a trickle charger.  :084: Surely if the bike is being used every weekend it shouldn't need one. I've never used one on any bike I've had since the early seventies, never had any problem apart from an 1100 bmw and that's probably because I'd only do 2.5 mile trips at the weekends and the temp was below zero!
I would guess that a trickle charger would only really be needed if the bike wasn't being used for maybe a month or more esp in the winter.
Or maybe it's all just sour grapes because I don't have power in my lock up garage. :138:
Cheer up they said, things could be worse. So I cheered up and sure enough things DID get worse!

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 04:30:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by rocksteady [+]
I'm wondering about how important it is to connect a trickle charger.  :084: Surely if the bike is being used every weekend it shouldn't need one. I've never used one on any bike I've had since the early seventies, never had any problem apart from an 1100 bmw and that's probably because I'd only do 2.5 mile trips at the weekends and the temp was below zero!
I would guess that a trickle charger would only really be needed if the bike wasn't being used for maybe a month or more esp in the winter.
Or maybe it's all just sour grapes because I don't have power in my lock up garage. :138:

I've got a charger next to my bike and never used it  :087: With regular use there should be no need un less of course something is draining the battery whilst the ignition is turned off  :005: Then thats a whole new problem.

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

tweedy-bunch