Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Tire purchasing in Florida ?  (Read 1745 times)

Offline Bythebay

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Collingwood
Tire purchasing in Florida ?
« on: December 21, 2013, 04:53:26 pm »
I am shipping my TT to Jacksonville and flying there on Jan14 , I am going to be in need of new tires after a week or so ... Anyone in that neck of the woods that can guide me to a good supplier and shop ...?

:821:
Live long , ride hard and prosper ...!

Offline donmoe

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Jupiter, FL
Re: Tire purchasing in Florida ?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 10:39:19 pm »
Back in May I needed a replacement rear tire on my way home from North Carolina.  I contacted Orange Park Powersports at 8209 Atlantic Blvd, Jacksonville (904-721-1186) and they were able to accommodate me right away. They also offered to pump up the tire with nitrogen instead of normal air.

You should contact them ahead of time to make sure they have the correct tires and sizes on hand for you. Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT tires are just coming onto the market and look like excellent replacements.

Don
2015 BMW R1200GSA 2004 BMW R1150RT
2013 Triumph Trophy SE 1981 Kaw KZ1000 Shaft
2010 Kaw Concours 14 ABS 1974 Kaw Z1
2008 Kaw Concours 14 ABS 1973 Kaw H1

Offline Bythebay

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Collingwood
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 12:16:31 am »
Thanks Don , I was hoping to hear from you ... What did you replace your originals with ? The new GT reports look much better that the ST and seem to fare better than the pilot 3 from what I've read , how is the pilot 4 diff ?
By the time I'm on the cords I'll be probably close to Sarasota after the Atlantic coast , Keys and then heading north on the Gulf side , never been to Florida ....
Any advice would be welcome !
 :821:
Live long , ride hard and prosper ...!

Offline donmoe

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Jupiter, FL
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 06:35:28 pm »
Hi ByTheBay,

I replaced my original Pirellis with Michelin Pilot Road 3s and have been much happier with them. The Pirelli Angel STs on both my Concours-14 and now my Trophy SE have deceived me on how much rubber was left. Looking at the rear tire, for example, it looks like it may have 1,000+ miles left on it, but after only a couple hundred if that much, it starts showing the steel belts along the centerline of the tire. In contrast the Michelins have been essentially bald, although with plenty of tread depth on the sides and not shown any cords. Riding on a tire with the steel belts showing through makes me really nervous that a belt could break and stick out, possibly striking something on the bike.

My next set of tires will definitely be the PR4s. Although Michelin doesn't have any information on their websites about the PR4s, at least that I could locate, I did pick up a foldout flyer on Thursday from my dealer. I've scanned it into a PDF file and uploaded to my personal website at this LINK. Hopefully it will answer your questions about the PR4s.

It's less than 300 miles from Jacksonville to where I live in Jupiter. My dealer is in Stuart, about 23 miles north of me, and the parts manager promised to get new PR4s on hand as soon as possible. You can contact them at 800-329-1850 or 772-287-1850.

If you would like to meet when you come into my area, please let me know. I'll send you my contact info by private message.

Have a nice holiday and Happy New Year!

Don
2015 BMW R1200GSA 2004 BMW R1150RT
2013 Triumph Trophy SE 1981 Kaw KZ1000 Shaft
2010 Kaw Concours 14 ABS 1974 Kaw Z1
2008 Kaw Concours 14 ABS 1973 Kaw H1