Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Throttle control question  (Read 6260 times)

Offline zeakers

• Non Active
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: DE
Throttle control question
« on: December 23, 2013, 03:54:31 PM »
With the Trophy's having an electronic throttle, do you guys have any issues maintaining speeds while cornering or maneuvering in parking lots? The reason I ask, I've been experiencing an issue for quite awhile and the dealers cannot replicate it. The bike will surge or act momentarily as if the throttle were completely closed and then regain. The bike has been in the shop three times since Sept having an adjustment made to the TPS, replaced exhaust manifold gasket, and now it is there again for the same issue. I am being told that I am not used to the electronic throttle and it is too sensitive. Now my issue doesn't usually surface until the bike is good and hot from a long run. It has never lost complete power as others have experienced with the TPS failure. I've owned this bike since Mar '13 and it has sat at one dealer or another for repairs now for over 3 months...When it runs, it's fantastic. When it doesn't, I feel like I've wasted my time and money....  :157:

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Throttle control question
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 04:50:27 PM »
Hi there,

I have not heard of this happening to anyone else, but the throttle does take a it of getting used to, and is quite sensitive, so at low speeds it would be easy to inadvertently tweak it just a tiny bit and feel like the bike is running away with you.

Let us know if there are any developments  :028:

« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 09:22:40 AM by Coconut »

Offline zeakers

• Non Active
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 04:52:43 PM »
Thanks Coconut!

Online janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 11:04:18 PM »
though I think the throttle spring could be a bit stronger, the Trophy is far less sensitive to low speed throttle than my '07 ST1300 was....   and is easier to maintain a constant speed as well...

I was amazed at the good job they've done with throttle-by-wire.   That said, because of the low tension is is easy to move the throttle when you hit a bump or the like...   
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2008 Kawasaki KLR650
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 12:49:06 AM »
Agree with these comments.  I have done plenty of low speed turns, many with inexperienced pillions doing triathlon support, and zero issues with throttle control and using the rear brake for tight turns.  Throttle respoe and tuning is spot on.
It is easy to pull on the throttle while blipping the throttle for changing down gears for corners, but it can easily be slightly on when you don't want!  Just a matter of time with the bike, same with setting and disengaging the cruise control.

I hate to think what another bike for feel like now, as I have not tried one since I bought the Trophy.

Offline Trumpetman14

• Trophy Pro
  • You Gotta Love her!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wendell, NC
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 03:44:14 PM »
Dude, get the TPS replaced! Sudden decline in engine RPM at low throttle or sudden deceleration and throttle release per intention of the rider often causes the engine to stutter, stall or act out of character with a bad or going bad TPS unit. These are early warning signs of impending TPS failure and potential disaster at intersections because these are the most common places that we suddenly cut the throttle, decelerate, squeeze brakes etc then suddenly the engine will stutter or stall on you just when you need it most!! -Dr Ron  :148: :182:
Growing old MAY BE mandatory...But
Growing up is OPTIONAL !!

Offline Pepefrenchtt

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Launch
  • City / Town: Perpignan
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 04:26:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by zeakers [+]
With the Trophy's having an electronic throttle, do you guys have any issues maintaining speeds while cornering or maneuvering in parking lots? ......

When you encounter this phéomène, look at the gear indicator.

I had this concern, it was solved by replacing the gear position transmitter and at the same time the mechanic replaced the wiring that goes with it.

Problem already met on the Explorer and the Tiger 800.

A look meadows ....

Offline zeakers

• Non Active
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 02:33:39 AM »
Pepefrenchtt, the problem mostly occurs between 3rd and 4th gear with rpms approx 4k. I have been to the dealer with this issue 4 times and they cannot duplicate what i feel is a problem. I hav also noticed the problem is more prevelent when the rpm's at idle don't hold at 1000 but drift from 700 - 1100. When the bikes stone cold, it runs strong. When adding up the miles, it begins to run poorly.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.