Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Schuberth C3 - SRC, riders communications system  (Read 4172 times)

Offline Ewshockley

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Dunlap Tennessee
Schuberth C3 - SRC, riders communications system
« on: December 24, 2013, 04:09:28 PM »
I am thinking about getting a pair of Schuberth c3 helmets with SRC for me and the wife.  The SRC looks like a very cool integration for communications.  I have been reading about the SRC on Revzilla, and the reviews go from excellent - to do not buy. Most of the negative comments say the speakers are of not good quality. Anyone have feedback on these?

I also understand that the SRC. Will only pair up to 3 people, so, if I we are riding with my friend and his wife, and we both have SRC setups, does this mean only 3 out of the 4 will be able to talk? 

The dealer says the SRC will only pair with SRCs, I have read that they do pair with other units "scalar"for examples.

Want to know if the helmet and the com system will be worth the money..

Offline Thunestvedt

• Trophy Member
  • Ride proud
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Fitjar
Re: Schuberth C3 - SRC, riders communications system
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 01:04:13 PM »
I have the SRC, and have used it successfully a couple of years. I am quite happy with the system, and it pairs without problems to other Scala systems. I have a Scala Rider G9 now, because of the increased range. But I prefer the SRC because it's integration.
When it comes to the quality of the speakers, I can only say that I am qiute satisfied. And I use them with earphoon earplugs,
And the Schubert helmets are top of the line, they are great.
Davy Crockett MC
Triumph Trophy SE
ST 1300 (gone)
Suzuki Intruder (gone)
Kawazaki Vulcan (gone)

Offline Ewshockley

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 10:31:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by Thunestvedt [+]
I have the SRC, and have used it successfully a couple of years. I am quite happy with the system, and it pairs without problems to other Scala systems. I have a Scala Rider G9 now, because of the increased range. But I prefer the SRC because it's integration.
When it comes to the quality of the speakers, I can only say that I am qiute satisfied. And I use them with earphoon earplugs,
And the Schubert helmets are top of the line, they are great.

Thanks for the info - I am sold on the Schubert helmet, plan to get one for me and the women's model for the wife. 

I love the integration of the SRC, thanks for the input on the speakers, but remain concerned about the limitations - connecting to only three riders, and the limited range.  Would like a more robust capability, especially for the money.  It does spear to be a good unit for chatting with the pillion.  I wonder if they will have a new model soon?

Offline sin_tiger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Lunar
  • City / Town: Maybole
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 07:25:36 AM »
I've had three SRC units now, earlier (on C3's) and the newer version (on C3 Pro).

Had a couple of issues with two different units, USB charging socket connector broke the actual internal connector (Singapore importer changed out the whole unit, reluctantly) and sticky buttons which seem to have sorted themselves out.

In use I have found them very impressive, takes a bit getting used to switching it with the helmet on and the multiple functions, there are a lot! The spoken notifications with the German accent still make me  :008: "Rrrrider B Iz now connected" but then again a Brit accent might amuse the Germans.

Yes, done bike to bike, bike to pillion and even B to B to Pillion, so 3 users works on a continous basis. It can do up to 4 using relay type service, it looks complicated so I've never tried it. Clarity is good, no problem with speakers, I found it depends how you set them up, takes some playing around until you get them in the right spot for your ears, it's not easy to judge with the helmet off. Same goes for the mic but you can do that on the fly. Do you want to talk to more than two other people while riding  :087:

Other makes, yes, it's the BT A2Dp standard that's the important thing. You probably will lose some functionality with other makes, such as multi bike comms. I've tried it on a one to one basis with three other makes of helmet BT without issue once you get them paired up. Confirm the priority switching between the pillion and Sat Nav (Garmin 660) with a phone paired to the Garmin, works a treat.

Bike to bike range can be up to 1km in ideal conditions and it picks up again nicely when you get back in range "Rrrider B iz connected", this is with the earlier version, haven't tried with the Pro version yet although walking a few hundred meters away from the bike the Garmin was still connected so it's probably a bit better.

Radio is OK, much better on the newer C3 Pro version. Word of caution here, make sure you get the right version for your helmet, the newer and older are not compatible. The improvement in the newer is due to a better antenna arrangement which is actually built into the helmet, I expect that will help with BT as well as above.

I have used the phone on a couple of occasions by accepting the call by mistake, the sound quality was so good at speed (160 kph) that I had to explain the the caller I was riding and would call them back. What is convenient is knowing that you missed a call, being able to pull over and call back without taking your helmet off  :028:

I love the neat integration as well but they are damn expensive. If I was starting from scratch again I might consider the new Autocom Helmet Module that I saw at the NEC show in Dec, suitable for any helmet. I haven't looked into that in detail for obvious reasons but it looked very neat and Autocom has a very good reputation, particularly with after sales service.

Offline threeup

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE - Black
  • City / Town: Nantwich
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 09:02:57 AM »
I have also used the C3 system and am very please with it. I have mainly used so that I can hear the phone, as until recently my wife was on a Liver transplant List and I could afford to miss the "the call". Reception is excellent. I have pulled up, answered the phone and had a conversation with Belgium with it without having to remove my helmet etc. The caller could not believe I was not in my office

I have tested the FM radio reception, but while it was OK (I tuned it using my laptop - there is a piece of software for that), I found it distracting, much more so than having the bike radio on. I did not find the sound as good on the radio, but that was not why I bought it.

As others have said, wearing ear plugs does not spoil its effectiveness
Now got Black TTSE
Used to have Pre-Launch Trophy - lowest recorded Trophy VIN
Why Threeup? Me, SWMBO and her bear (Fredbear)

Offline sin_tiger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Lunar
  • City / Town: Maybole
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 11:53:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by threeup [+]
I did not find the sound as good on the radio, but that was not why I bought it.

The Trophy will be my first bike with such luxuries  :001: so I've had to make do with more "primitive" methods of getting radio. Admittedly the radio can be a bit flakey with the earlier version, I did find switching the SRS auto station keeping thingy helped a bit, anything is good when you're trying to get the heads up on traffic jams in Singapore. Believe me they get so screwed up about getting out of a jam it can be impossible to squeeze even a C90 through any gaps  :015:

Offline Ewshockley

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 12:57:15 AM »
Thanks for all the great input...

tweedy-bunch