Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: tarnished nuts  (Read 3855 times)

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
tarnished nuts
« on: December 29, 2013, 12:38:29 pm »
Ok and bolts.

I have just washed the trophy and polished it (well it is Christmas) and noticed some of the nuts and bolts are getting tarnished.  I use the muc off after spray (with ptfe) over the whole bike and especially engine and then polish the fairing etc.  The fixings holding the screen especially seem to be weathering badly.

I will take them out and Polish them (solvol autosol?) But any suggestions would be welcome as this probably will not protect them from future attack.

I noticed the brake bolts seem a bit bad as well so I will take each one out and grease.  On the tiger (2005) knave had lots of problems with siezed brake pins so am a bit worked about future servicing.

There USA lot of salt around at the moment.

Thanks
Job 

Offline Original Scourge

• Trophy Member
  • My first and middle name is Bruce Wayne. Yep!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Cincinnati
Re: tarnished nuts
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 05:25:16 pm »
*Originally Posted by john348 [+]
Ok and bolts.

I have just washed the trophy and polished it (well it is Christmas) and noticed some of the nuts and bolts are getting tarnished.  I use the muc off after spray (with ptfe) over the whole bike and especially engine and then polish the fairing etc.  The fixings holding the screen especially seem to be weathering badly.

I will take them out and Polish them (solvol autosol?) But any suggestions would be welcome as this probably will not protect them from future attack.

I noticed the brake bolts seem a bit bad as well so I will take each one out and grease.  On the tiger (2005) knave had lots of problems with siezed brake pins so am a bit worked about future servicing.

There USA lot of salt around at the moment.

Thanks
Job

I know that this is an older post, but I'm sure others question this phenomenon also.  It is the nature of steel bolts in aluminum engines (or other parts) to corrode.  Anytime I pull one out, I make the decision to either knock off the corrosion with a wire brush or replace it with a stainless steel bolt.  Here's a tip to help prevent or delay further corrosion - If the bolt does not require thread-locker, put a layer of pipe joint compound (aka "pipe dope") on the threads before screwing it back in.  It will slow or stop the development of further corrosion and will also act to resist the bolt from becoming loose due to vibration.

The Original Scourge,
Bruce
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2013 Triumph Bonneville SE
2004 Harley-Davidson Low Rider
Past Bikes  -  1980 Honda Cb750c & a 1970 BSA Lightning.      I'm a lucky man!

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 05:49:53 pm »
There's nothing worse than having your Nuts tarnished  :087:

I "think" those bolts holding the Screen on ARE Stainless Steel ....
( at £3.44 each RRP they SHOULD be ! ), but they do still seem to corrode ? !

( That "American" salt is a real problem though ! :164:    :745: )

Offline Philpat

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE 2014
  • City / Town: Holyhead
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 09:47:11 am »
There is Stainless and good Stainless. Most of the so called Stainless bolts on the Trophy are magnetic! I good sign of cheap Stainless. Generally Stainless comes in two qualities A2 and A4.
A2 will rust in an aggressive environment i.e. salt whilst A4 is marine grade and will not rust ever, so if replacing fittings order A4 but are double the cost!

Phil
Philpat

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 12:08:25 pm »
Dang it Coconut, you beat me to it!!!
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 01:52:56 pm »
As told by a welding electrode manufacturer's welding engineer once "technically, there's no such thing as stainless steel, since some chemical will cause discoloration in any of the grades".  Now, that was a long time ago and now there are some more exotic duplex type materials being made these days so it may not be true.  I'm a little out of touch now, but I bet someone on this forum is up to date and knows the facts.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 02:24:40 pm »
A lot of technical data. But really all people want is shiny nuts  :745: :745:

seadog
seadog

Online trophied