Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Hello from Australia  (Read 3481 times)

Offline Glenk69

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Melbourne
Hello from Australia
« on: February 01, 2013, 08:50:19 PM »
G'Day all,

New member Glen here from Melbourne Australia. 

I have owned a Kawasaki GTR1400 since 2008 and six months ago I started researching the BMW R1200 RT and then the K1600.  I spent many hours test riding both bikes and read just about every review on the net, in magazines and elsewhere.  I discussed the bikes with riders I met and even asked friends and family what they thought about the big Beemers.  They all loved them so last week after all of this research I decided to buy a K1600 GT. 

Yesterday I inadvertently walked into a Triumph dealer here in Melbourne and 10 minutes later I had placed a deposit on on a Silver Trophy SE :001:   Six months of meticulous research went out the door the minute I set eyes on the Trophy.  It is the first bike I have ever purchased without even sitting on it let alone test riding it.

So I pick her up next week some time and hope I love it as much as some of you guys here.  I ordered the heated seat and grips (Yes it does get cold here in Australia) and also the top case although apparently the silver top case covers are on back order.

Offline Bythebay

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Collingwood
Re: Hello from Australia
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 11:51:59 PM »
So , you now have a K1600 and a Trophy ?
Omg I have to get to a site where members don't have 6 digits invested in bikes !
Respect to all !
 :084:
Live long , ride hard and prosper ...!

Offline Bythebay

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Collingwood
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 11:53:27 PM »
Lol, and know what a wrench is ...lol
Sorry
Live long , ride hard and prosper ...!

Offline Glenk69

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 02:06:33 AM »
haha no I don't have a K1600.  After all of the research I put into it and after deciding to buy one I strolled into the Triumph Dealer yesterday, having never heard of the Trophy and 10 minutes later walked out $28,000 poorer.  To my great relief after last night reading all of the reviews on the internet the only criticisms I have found, apart from the battery issue some here seem to be having, is the left handlebar switch gear issue of having to take your hand off to operate them.

What a bunch of lazy people must be out there if they complain about actually having to lift their hand of the handlebar.  I mean the sheer effort involved must be hell for them. :002: 

Offline Simons Trophy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 05:23:05 AM »
Good on you Glen. I am also in Melbourne (East Side) and have been checking out the Trophy for awhile.
Had a sit on the silver one at Abeckett St last Thursday. Haven't demo'd 1 yet but thats coming, they feel very very comfy.
Did they give you a launch package deal?
I have to sell my Thunderbird first and am hoping to have it sorted so I can take a blue Trophy to the Jindabyne RAT Rally.

Simon
Simon

Offline Glenk69

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 07:08:45 AM »
Hi Simon.  No I don't even know what a launch package is.  I went to Abeckett St on Friday and they told me there was only one Silver one available and the Blues won't arrive until March.  Having recently owned a Blue FJR1300 and a Blue Sprint ST I decided to go the Silver.  Given there was only one available it didn't exactly place me in the best negotiating position but I managed to secure the bike, the heated grips and the top case all for under RRP so I'm reasonably happy with that.  I suspect others will get a better deal when all of the Blues and Silvers arrive in March/April.

They seem like a decent bunch of blokes at Peter Stevens Motorcycles so it should be good for future service. You should be able to see my email on this website if you want further info after I pick it up.

Offline Simons Trophy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 09:27:54 AM »
I will look forward to reading what you think about the Trophy. Triumph has put so many good bikes out recently I can't see the Trophy being any different. The launch package has been happening O/S and pretty sure it is heated grips, heated seats, top box and big screen (which I don't want anyway) for $1000.
Peter Stevens Ringwood have looked after me very well for 3 years, they are a good bunch of guys and the ride days are good fun usually with about 25 to 30 bikes.
Congrats you must be pretty excited about picking it up.

Simon
Simon

Offline Glenk69

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 02:49:38 AM »
Well I picked the Trophy up this morning and already have 250kms on the clock.  I must admit to having a few concerns about whether I would like it and whether spending $28,000 without even test riding it would all be for nothing.  I should have ignored those concerns because this is without a shadow of a doubt the best bike I have ever ridden.  About 20kms into the ride I am embarrassed to say I was audibly giggling.  This is about the 16th motorcycle I have purchased in the last 20 years and none of the others hold a candle to this bike.  I am yet to encounter any of the issues others have had and the salesman at Peter Stevens said that even if I suspect there is an issue I can bring it back to them and they will act on it immediately.  They have an official Triumph representative "embedded" in their organization so direct contact with Triumph is a 25 minute ride away. 

The only downside to the ride was a matter of great embarrassment when I accidentally turned the radio on while waiting at a red light and Britney Spears came bursting out of the speakers at full volume.  I made this even worse by frantically pressing every button on the bars trying to turn it off or down.  This was a matter of great amusement to the car full of teenagers next to me and I felt quite the village idiot.  No offense to Britney Spears fans but I am most certainly not one of them. 

The engine on this bike is absolutely awesome.  The sound is amazing and the oodles of torque that is available in any gear is confidence inspiring to say the least. The handling is spectacular for such a large, heavy bike and makes my GTR1400 feel like a Kenworth T900.  I love it so much i am planning a 600km ride this weekend which will take me over the first service interval but I don't care.  I simply want to ride and ride and ride this bike. I wonder if there is a law in Australia for trying to fornicate with a motorcycle?  :155:

tweedy-bunch