Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Long time BMW rider considering buying a Trophy-New member  (Read 14328 times)

Offline Djimmy

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Missoula, Montana
Long time BMW rider considering buying a Trophy-New member
« on: January 09, 2014, 11:38:52 pm »
Hello everyone. I am a new member and long time rider of BMW's. My current bike is a K1600GT. I've also owned an R1200RT, K1200GT, K1200RS. I am seriously considering the purchase of a 2014 Trophy and would like some feedback, pro and con, on the bike, from fellow BMW owners as well as anyone else. I've read a number of reviews on line, mostly positive. Two negatives I've seen are engine noise and the rearview mirrors. I look forward to hearing from you.

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
Re: Long time BMW rider considering buying a Trophy-New member
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 12:36:11 am »
I owned an '03 R1150RT, and have ridden the newer '05+ model R1200RT.   I like the Trophy far better than either of those.  Never rode a K-bike...

The engine is noisy, at least mine is.  There is a lot of discussion on this board about a not-a-recall engine/head replacement modification that so far only seems to have been done on the European side of the Atlantic.

https://www.triumph-trophy.com/index.php/topic,1434.0.html

and there also is a page holding the most common problems and complaints..

https://www.triumph-trophy.com/index.php/topic,1602.0.html

as well as tons of info on a million different things..

The BMW's, and my ST1300 all had fairing mounted mirrors which were ok solo with no luggage but were blocked when carrying a passenger or some luggage configurations.  Easily fixed on the Trophy by simply installing normal 10mm thread clutch/brake lever mount mirrors...

Suggest you definitely take a test ride.... But.. prepare to open your wallet afterwards....
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2008 Kawasaki KLR650
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC

Offline traveler46

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Iowa
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 01:03:11 am »
I am kind of in the same area as you. I have a 2013 GTL 1600 and I am also looking at the Trophy. I took a ride on the Trophy around a month ago as was thoroughly impressed. The 100 plus pounds lighter than GTL makes it much easier to get around in tight places. The TT has better weather protection than the GTL. Where the K1600 is as smooth as glass, you do feel the engine a little on the TT but, never a problem and actually somewhat cool. I cannot tell you whether the TT will match the BMW in the twisties but it felt pretty good. The TT starts from a dead stop with more ease than the BMW,...must be a little more torque right at the bottom. The transmission is super smooth and no clunk. The 1200 cc triple may not be the rocket of the K1600, but with the lower weight of the TT, it really was quite impressive. I really like my GTL and have not yet decided if I will go to the TT. What really has caught my attention with the TT is the lighter weight, better weather protection with all the gadgets of the BMW and the lower overall price. Simpler design, 3 cylinder instead of 6. I 'm not new to bikes, been riding since 1968 and also current own a 2012 Wing and an 08 Concours 14. I really like the Triumph. Barry

Offline big bird

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hatfield PA
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 01:24:01 am »
I traded a 1999 BMW R1100 RT for the Trophy . I like the Trophy very much ,as far as the engine noise my dealer told me all of the earlier problem with the Trophy were fix at the factory on the later production models .As far as the mirrors they are a little harder to see out of than the R1100 ,but you can add the explorer mirrors to the handle bar for better visibility if you think you need it .
  Test ride the bike I think you will like it .
BB
BB
1979 Yamaha  SR 500
2013 Suzuki 250 GW

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 03:21:49 am »
I did 10 years and 100K on a 2004 1150RT. Probably 80% two up and at least 50% loaded like a pack mule. I like the TT better and so does my wife. The TT is smoother and fits me to a T without handlebar setbacks or any of the other ergonomic changes I made to the RT. The TT mirrors suck like the RT's did, but I did the handlebar mirrors just like I did on the RT. As far as engine noise my TT is a 2014 and it is not any worse than my RT was. I can't knock the RT it gave me a lot of trouble free fun, but the TT won in my comparison shopping with a new 2013 RT. My dealer sells both and I was back and forth between the two for at least two hours.

Offline shyoung1

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Front Royal
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 03:33:38 am »
Djimmy,
My opinion may not count for much, as I've been a cruiser rider for years, but the TT design caught my eye, and I've always kind of wanted to try a sport-tourer, and after a test ride, I was sold!

I love the mirrors, both design wise and riding. Weather protection is just great. The advanced electronics appeal to me.

As far as engine noise, what engine noise?? Of course I was riding a Valkyrie with 6 into 6 pipes!!

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 04:07:33 am »
Never cared much for BMW so can't opine on the delta.  When you get a moment stop over to the new ,ember forum and introduce yourself
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 04:20:30 am »
I came from an ST1100 with 213,000kms on it. The Trophy is more mechanical sounding in the top end relatively, clutch noise about the same. There is a mechanical whine to do with the shaft drive gears I think, but I barely notice it now.  The gear shift/shaft lash is much better than a BMW1600 I test rode, gear shift far nicer than the ST1100.  The induction noise when you get the revs up through the gears is a nice growl.

I haven't ridden a BMW twin in quite a while so can't comment on the relative differences.