Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Instrument Panel Reflection  (Read 4621 times)

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
Re: Instrument Panel Reflection
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 02:33:31 pm »
The reason I jumped in was that on the 20+ cycles I have owned, this is the 1st one where it was a 'glaring issue'...
As for having a pair flare... Happens in every group, 'there is always someone....'... so .. don't care...   64, 25K miles a season, camp on the ground, 4-600 mile days... Nothing to prove to anyone..

"Frozen in Wisconsin" :190:
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC
2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES ( in the mail )...

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 02:55:25 pm »
Looked on line and what about something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-LCD-SCREEN-PROTECTOR-FOR-iPHONE-4-4S-ANTI-GLARE-MATTE-/270950543355?pt=UK_Computing_LaptopAccessories_RL&hash=item3f15e92ffb

cheap enough to throw away if you don't like it.  My TomTom used to be bad for glare and I used one of those wrap around covers but this probably would not fit easily or well round the TTSE LCD and might not help because of the angle.  I used the screen protector as above on the 660 and have no problems with glare.  As said before by others though I live in the UK so glare usually is not a problem.  :017:  (obviously this emoticon in English you see it has to take its glasses off to actually see where it is going every so often)

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 11:23:36 am »
Aah that's better (  :015: )

I wonder if some sort of a fold down, tinted perspex, type of visor - to flip down over the dials could be made ?

I'm thinking it could be attached to the bottom two holes of the Sat Nav mounting bracket,
and left in a horizontal position for normal use, but could then be folded down if needed,
where the angle could be adjusted to deflect the sun glare elsewhere,
but with a light tint so that the instruments could still be seen through it ?

... well beyond my capabilities to make something like that, but I seem to recall that member "Luckycharms"
was into making Custom Shelf Mounts ???

« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 08:04:57 am by Coconut »

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 07:43:29 am »
Guys
As I posted earlier I've tried the anti glare products NOT successful at all. I've just spent £400 on a new helmet that has got a drop down sun visor built in. This also has no effect.
The problem is the sun reflects off the rider and the panel acts as a mirror, the refection off the helmet visor causes the worse d conditions and more so in low sun an in winter riding conditions. If you place your hand in between your self and the panel you will find a sweet spot where it kills the refection so you can have a quick look hence the mounting of another sat nav at the base of the bars. Coming off the cruisers I dont find this a problem looking down at the tank to check the speed.
I'll keep trying other methods and if I do come up with a solution I guarantee you all will be the first to know  :028: :028:

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 11:44:10 am »
After reading this thread I had a good look at the dash while riding a few times in glaring sun.

Wearing polarised sunglasses I have not had any real trouble reading the central display, as long as I focus on reading the display rather than the reflection of the helmet on the top glass - a fine difference as it is easy to focus on the reflection rather than look through it.  Anyway, I can easily see the speedo.

The Zumo is also a bit harder to read with polarised sunglasses on regardless of sun angle.  Have to try non-polarised sunglasses sometime.

tweedy-bunch