Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: FRONT BRAKE ROTORS  (Read 8077 times)

Offline wingjack

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy se
  • City / Town: tucson
FRONT BRAKE ROTORS
« on: January 11, 2014, 11:58:41 AM »
At around 500 miles the front brake rotors started a minor pulsing.  Nearly 2000 now and the pulsing is much worse, the dealer has ordered a new rotor set.  The first month of ownership has resulted in a right side broken pannier support and front rotor issues.  The pannier bracket came in yesterday 1/10, they will install it today, the left side is on back order, the dealer insisted that both sides should be replaced due to possible failure from manufacturing defects.  Haven't been told when the rotors will be here.  This is more trouble than I experienced with Japanese products including a zx14r I used to drag race.  Many passes with that bike bringing it down from over 145 miles per hour in a quarter mile, with the front brake, and no rotor problems!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 12:04:04 PM by wingjack »
Wingjack

Offline enGage

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Grand Rapids
Re: FRONT BRAKE ROTORS
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 02:34:45 PM »
Mine are warped as well and will be replaced in the spring.  Others have had issues with warped rotors as well.  I would not assume, however, that this is an issue with the bike and not the supplier/rotor.  Hopefully your next set will serve you fine.  If not I would look in the aftermarket direction.

Offline donmoe

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 04:46:38 PM »
I too experienced warped front rotors on my Trophy. After returning from my 21K-mile tour in September, my dealer confirmed and ordered replacement rotors under warranty at 34K miles. A few weeks later, I began to notice the pulsing returning, although not as pronounced. In both cases, I did not consider the pulsing to be dramatic enough to be dangerous.

With the original rotors I first noticed the pulsing after braking hard, but not enough to activate the ABS. A few weeks later after braking hard again, I noticed the pulsing was not as pronounced. It would seem that the rotors could be warping slightly due to unbalanced pressure from the brake pads. When I reported the first instance, I mentioned this possibility to the service manager at the dealership. He claims that the mechanic checked and didn't find any other problems.

When I asked him about another set of rotors, I was told that only the first set was covered by warranty, but none after that. If there are actual issues with the front brakes, rotors, brake cylinders, or pads, Triumph needs to be forthcoming and replace the brake components that seem to be causing this problem. On my previous bike, a 2010 Kaw Concours-14, I put around 63K miles on it without any issues with brake pulsing even though I did have to brake hard on several occasions. I replaced its brake pads with EBCs at 23K miles.

Although I have considered replacing the rotors and pads with EBC parts, they might not solve the problem if the culprit is unequal pressure on both sides of one or both rotors. Since I don't have the means of measuring the pressure to confirm this suspicion, installing EBC parts may be a waste of money.

Regardless of this issue, I still really like my Trophy and will continue riding it.

Don
2015 BMW R1200GSA 2004 BMW R1150RT
2013 Triumph Trophy SE 1981 Kaw KZ1000 Shaft
2010 Kaw Concours 14 ABS 1974 Kaw Z1
2008 Kaw Concours 14 ABS 1973 Kaw H1

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 05:54:57 PM »
Could you  guys describe what you mean by pulsing and in what circumstances.  I have recently noticed what I would call pulsing in the sense that when I am slowing down, say in the 20 MPH or less that there does seem to be a slight periodic grab of the brakes which I attribute to uneveness on the rotor and the brake pad catching.  But as it is only at very low speeds I've just made mental note and crossed it off as minor irritation.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline donmoe

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Jupiter, FL
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 07:07:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by w8d4it [+]
... pulsing in the sense that when I am slowing down, say in the 20 MPH or less that there does seem to be a slight periodic grab of the brakes ...

That's essentially the issue. The pulsing is faster or slower depending on the bike's speed. I notice it primarily when using the front brake by itself. I notice very little if any pulsing when using the rear, linked brakes.

Don
2015 BMW R1200GSA 2004 BMW R1150RT
2013 Triumph Trophy SE 1981 Kaw KZ1000 Shaft
2010 Kaw Concours 14 ABS 1974 Kaw Z1
2008 Kaw Concours 14 ABS 1973 Kaw H1

Offline enGage

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Grand Rapids
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 07:56:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by w8d4it [+]
Could you  guys describe what you mean by pulsing and in what circumstances.  I have recently noticed what I would call pulsing in the sense that when I am slowing down, say in the 20 MPH or less that there does seem to be a slight periodic grab of the brakes which I attribute to uneveness on the rotor and the brake pad catching.  But as it is only at very low speeds I've just made mental note and crossed it off as minor irritation.

There are only two things that will cause a pulsation when applying the brakes - a warped rotor or a greasy spot on the rotor.  You can solve the greasy spot by cleaning the rotor with a brake cleaner spray, but a warped rotor on a motorcycle must be changed (car rotors can be turned).  Typically a warped rotor will feel like a pulsation a slow speeds (as you describe) and a vibration at higher speeds.

I don't know why some bikes are affected and others aren't. It is the same with the Thunderbird- some had issues, some did not.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 01:56:08 AM »
Not sure I agree that only two things will cause a pulsing sensation but that is another point.  I only have the feeling at very low speeds.  Anything above 30 and I don't feel anything.   I've been assuming all along that it is slightly warped rotors not worth worrying about.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Damian

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: SprintGT
  • City / Town: Waikanae
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 06:04:04 AM »
Hi All,
please refer to this article linked HERE: http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths .

I believe what is written in the article. My last bike / 955i Sprint St/  had shuddering. I had the discs skimmed and changed the pads to Vesra brand pads (not OEM) and the issue never came back. My current bike/ 2011 Sprint GT/  had the same problem. This time all I did was get the pistons serviced, change the fluid and pads, this time to SBS brand. After a few thousand km's the shuddering has completely gone.

It may be difficult to believe, as mechanics will tend top agree that the discs are warped. I think they don't know any better, but trying a change of pads and if you can find a good engineer or workshop shop who can give the discs a skim. Last year the engineer i use declined to skim the discs and just said change the pads which did work, it just took longer for the discs to clean up and run smooth. Cheap fix.

regards
Damian

tweedy-bunch