Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: And a different Pannier issue  (Read 3817 times)

Offline Briang1234

• Non Active
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Milwaukie, Or.
And a different Pannier issue
« on: January 13, 2014, 10:27:25 PM »
Opened my left pannier this morning to take my gloves out (only thing in the box), I let the lid open against my leg and drop it down onto the strap. The bottom of the strap (the end attached to the lid) pulled right off the rivet. The rivet held, the web of the strap just opened and let her drop. I do believe I'll go visit my friendly dealer for a repair. That is one cheesy looking attachment.
No, I take that back. They'll just replace it with the same setup. Im going to make my own heavyduty strap. No sense replacing crap with warranty crap.
Brian
I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.
Riding the Northwet

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
Re: And a different Pannier issue
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 03:54:43 AM »
Even if you don't go the warranty route I believe I would make sure the dealer and Triumph knew about the issue. It may trigger a change for the better on future bikes.

Offline donmoe

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 04:54:21 AM »
Some time ago I read a similar report about the strap pulling off the rivet. As I recall it was on the TriumphRAT.net forum and the affected rider reported getting replacement pannier(s) from Triumph under warranty.

With over 40K miles on my Trophy, I have not had any broken pannier mounts or straps.

Don
2015 BMW R1200GSA 2004 BMW R1150RT
2013 Triumph Trophy SE 1981 Kaw KZ1000 Shaft
2010 Kaw Concours 14 ABS 1974 Kaw Z1
2008 Kaw Concours 14 ABS 1973 Kaw H1

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 05:00:09 AM »
I Remember reading the same report although I thought it was on this forum. In any event I'm quite certain the issue was resolved under warranty so I urge the OP to seek recourse under warranty
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 07:43:07 AM »
It was indeed on this Forum - by Member "jordbarnet" in the US back in May 2013.

Here's the orginal thread : First Scratches

Offline Briang1234

• Non Active
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Milwaukie, Or.
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 04:32:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by Briang1234 [+]
No, I take that back. They'll just replace it with the same setup. Im going to make my own heavyduty strap. No sense replacing crap with warranty crap.

I will take it in for warranty repair. I was just a bit pissed, didn't start the morning off right. But I am going to add a safety cable of some sort after it is fixed so the straps dont carry the load. Starting to get the bike ready for it's first touring season, and panniers failing is something I want to avoid.
Brian
I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.
Riding the Northwet

Offline ThickBrit

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2 x TT, now an SE
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 11:49:20 AM »
The straps are far too long. Drop the lid and it's no surprise the rivet pulls through the webbing.
Got a shock the first time I opened the RH pannier. The buckle wasn't connected. Fortunately it was on its side stand or the lid would have hit the ground rather than (luckily) my shin.
I cut the stitching on the lower end of the upper strap and pulled the webbing through the buckle to shorten it.
I will probably get in there with a Frost knot one day (Google it - it's a webbing knot), but just taking the webbing around the main part and back on itself like a half hitch held it OK for the last 12 months.
DVSA ERS trainer
National Diploma in advanced motorcycle instruction
IAM Masters (with Distinction)
IAM National Observer and Local Observer Assessor

Offline venomyellow

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 15 Rocket 14 K1600
  • City / Town: Stratford Upon Avon
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 01:19:37 PM »
Rivet pulled through the webbing on my top case.

Dealer has my replacement top case waiting (under warranty) - hoping that Triumph have solved the issue. Will find out next week.

There was no quibble